British Ambassador says that embassy land deal not complete "contrary to rumors"

webfact

British Ambassador says that embassy land deal not complete "contrary to rumors"

bb.jpg

video screenshot

BANGKOK: -- British Ambassador Brian Davidson said Tuesday that no deal has been reached about the sale of the embassy on Wireless Road.

Mr Davidson was speaking at an event to meet Thai and western news media in the heart of the plot that has been described as one of the biggest land deals in the history of Thailand.

Speaking at "the residence" he said: "Despite what you may have heard, no contract has yet been signed.

"I promise that when I have news to share I will share it with you."

Despite the sale of the huge downtown area, he reaffirmed the UK's commitment to Thailand in the long term saying that he wanted to expand and develop the relationship between the two countries. In an upbeat speech the ambassador, who only took up his post last year, spoke of the "new era" following the UK's referendum and the impending triggering of Article 50 to begin the withdrawal from the EU.

In a speech he spoke of improving and developing trade ties and other initiatives and funding projects saying that he was looking forward as well as accepting the history that exists between the two nations.

Talking exclusively to Thaivisa after the speech he spoke of the consular activities. He said that there are known to be a million visitors from the UK each year to Thailand.

He said that there were 50,000 British people here of which 10,000 were retirees.

Much of the consular help revolves around assistance given to families after British people die while in Thailand - this he put at about one person each day on average.

Mr Davidson who was a UK ambassador in China before coming to Thailand said that there were certainly differences between Thailand and China especially in the way they do business.

He said that he had made many visits to the kingdom before coming to work here and that his posting would last four years.

Asked about criticisms from some sections of the British public living in Thailand about consular assistance he suggested that contact should be made to the relevant officers for clarification.

Earlier several officials had commented on several aspects of the embassy's service with comments made by a member of the visa issuing staff saying that 100,000 applications were made at the embassy for visits to the UK each year.

These came not just fromThailand but Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam. Some 70% of the applications came from Thai nationals.

Some 93% of visa applications, received at the embassy and handled through their VFS partners, were approved, he said.

Main reasons for visits were tourism and study. He said that consular staff were "working closely with VFS" to make the visa application process easier.

It had earlier been announced and was touted at the reception that visa assistance would now be available off-site especially for large groups intending to visit the UK. This assistance is available at about 50,000 for five people and 10,000 baht per person thereafter.

Ambassador Davidson was non-committal when asked when the day might come when individuals might be able to easily apply online for visas.

Many countries, like Australia, provide what is known as an ETA permission to travel in a simple one stop online procedure.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-29

The huge British embassy was built at a time when Britain was an important Country with some of its empire still intact. With the probability that Scotland and Ireland will leave the UK. I guess Britain doesn't need a large embassy any more. It will just be England. A rather small country with not a great deal of importance. sad but true!

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

The huge British embassy was built at a time when Britain was an important Country with some of its empire still intact. With the probability that Scotland and Ireland will leave the UK. I guess Britain doesn't need a large embassy any more. It will just be England. A rather small country with not a great deal of importance. sad but true!

Really? So what's going to happen to Wales?

26 minutes ago, gamini said:

Ireland is not a member of the UK. I presume that you meant Northern Ireland.

46 minutes ago, gamini said:

Ridiculous statement from start to finish.

Edited by Psimbo

27 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Ridiculous statement from start to finish.

8 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

You should know he loves to slag the Brits off at any given opportunity! 

Not at all - he has a balanced European approach in his attitude to the British.

A chip on both shoulders.

I don't know (or care very much) where he comes from, but perhaps he either resents us pulling his country out of the pooh, or stopping it from thrusting its neighbours into the pooh, around the middle of the last century.

49 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Ireland is not a member of the UK. I presume that you meant Northern Ireland.

Is N-Ireland part of the UK?

I bet 90% of the Europeans don't even know that Wales is not the same as England...They even don't speak proper english there.

45 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You mean they don't speak English properly.

I mean that i f*ing can't  understand a F*ing word of it. 

They even have very unmannered wild horses there, one kicked me hard while being there on holiday as a kid.

It would be fun if another party bought the land today...

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

Is N-Ireland part of the UK?

I bet 90% of the Europeans don't even know that Wales is not the same as England...They even don't speak proper english there.

yes, of course, I mean Northern Ireland. Because having a border between North and South is not a very satisfactory arrangement. the division between the North and South has mainly been Religious. Nowadays the younger generation don't care very much about religion and also Northern Ireland overwhelmingly voted to stay in the European Union.

I have always considered Wales part of England. I think that most so-called Welsh people would probably refer to themselves as British.

41 minutes ago, gamini said:

yes, of course, I mean Northern Ireland. Because having a border between North and South is not a very satisfactory arrangement. the division between the North and South has mainly been Religious. Nowadays the younger generation don't care very much about religion and also Northern Ireland overwhelmingly voted to stay in the European Union.

I have always considered Wales part of England. I think that most so-called Welsh people would probably refer to themselves as British.

But British is not the same anymore after the Brexit.

So after the Brexit Scottland and Ireland are still in the EU and England plus Wales are the Brittish right?

It's so confusing...The United Kingdom title can that still be used or is that only England plus Wales from now on?

And in Scottland you pay with the uk-pound but in Ireland (North and South) you pay with euro's right?

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So after the Brexit Scottland and Ireland are still in the EU and England plus Wales are the Brittish right?

It's so confusing...The United Kingdom title can that still be used or is that only England plus Wales from now on?

England , Scotland N. Ireland and Wales are all still together as part of the U.K.

Nothing will change in that aspect because of Brexit

17 hours ago, gamini said:

Utter dog toffee!

And in Scottland you pay with the uk-pound but in Ireland (North and South) you pay with euro's right?

The British Isles is the geographical name of the archipelago off the north western coast of the European continent. The largest of those Islands is called Great Britain, the second largest island is called Ireland.

The island of Great Britain contains three separate countries, England ( by far the largest in terms of area and population), Scotland and Wales. The people of these countries, although they may (do) identify as English, Scottish and Welsh are together described as British. The three countries together form The United Kingdom (UK). The northern six counties of the island of Ireland are also part of the UK, as the province of Northern Ireland. The remainder of Ireland forms an independent country known as The Republic of Ireland.

The currency throughout the UK is the Pound Sterling, Scotish and Northern Irish banks can issue their own banknotes, but they are Pounds Sterling.

Wales, Scotland and Ireland still retain their own languages, which are still used by some of their people, although English is the main language used throughout the British Isles. There are of course different regional accents, but then a German from Bavaria doesn't sound like a German from Hamburg does he?

Then of course there is Cornwall...

I mean that i f*ing can't  understand a F*ing word of it. 

They even have very unmannered wild horses there, one kicked me hard while being there on holiday as a kid.

It would be fun if another party bought the land today...

It might have been more fun if the horse had kicked you harder.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

a German from Bavaria doesn't sound like a German from Hamburg does he?

No but i can understand both of them easy. Welsh i really can't understand at all.

So England, Scottland and Wales are leaving the EU (they are the Brits and they go exit). So whole Ireland stays in the EU i guess.

All exportproducts from Ireland can come to Europe mainland without importtaxes but the Brits will have to pay for that and they make cars/motobikes.

Irish whisky will stay same price but Scottish whisky will  get more expensive.

I liked to buy online from out of the UK so soon we'll have to buy online from out of Ireland only since that will be cheaper for Europeans.

I'm just trying to understand what the Brexit factly means for both of us and to me it seems the Brits will have to drive their own cars from now on since importing/exporting them will be a pain in the butt.

Also they'll loose their imported labourers from E-europe so they also have to build those cars themselves.

Brits who come to Europe for a holiday will have to apply for visa first and be in the long qeueu between other NON-EU visitors. So they won't come anymore for just a day or weekend.

All this will hurt the UK-pound more...so we also will get less Brittish retiree's in Thailand i guess.

So they will stay on their empire of islands in the north sea and wear raincoats all days...

As many posters here have already said, the UK is not so dominant in the world, and has just about gone bust that it no longer can support many of the services, including those outside the country. This is reflected on the growing issues of government response to it's prior obligations, which it can no longer uphold. Those include the NHS, the social welfare, the infrastructure, housing, education etc which are slowly being eroded by the lack of government funding, indicative of a country which cannot afford to balance the books. With a deficit of 1.8 trillion UKP it's obvious why the financial backbone of the country is falling apart. 

58 minutes ago, fruitman said:

No but i can understand both of them easy. Welsh i really can't understand at all.

So England, Scottland and Wales are leaving the EU (they are the Brits and they go exit). So whole Ireland stays in the EU i guess.

All exportproducts from Ireland can come to Europe mainland without importtaxes but the Brits will have to pay for that and they make cars/motobikes.

Irish whisky will stay same price but Scottish whisky will  get more expensive.

I liked to buy online from out of the UK so soon we'll have to buy online from out of Ireland only since that will be cheaper for Europeans.

I'm just trying to understand what the Brexit factly means for both of us and to me it seems the Brits will have to drive their own cars from now on since importing/exporting them will be a pain in the butt.

Also they'll loose their imported labourers from E-europe so they also have to build those cars themselves.

Brits who come to Europe for a holiday will have to apply for visa first and be in the long qeueu between other NON-EU visitors. So they won't come anymore for just a day or weekend.

All this will hurt the UK-pound more...so we also will get less Brittish retiree's in Thailand i guess.

So they will stay on their empire of islands in the north sea and wear raincoats all days...

No, I said Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so it too will be leaving the EU.

I also said that there are many different accents in the English spoken in the British Isles. Welsh , like Gaelic (Scottish and Welsh) are totally different languages. You can't understand them, fair enough, neither can I, but there are lots of languages around the world I can't, from Azerbaijani to Zulu!

As for the precise details as to how much Scotch and Irish whisky will cost, who will buy and sell motorcars and to what extent wearing raincoats will be mandatory only time and the next two years will tell. I will hazard a guess that there won't be an awful lot of difference when the dust settles, trade around the world will continue. I wouldn't get too excited about the British leaving Thailand either, we're an awkward persistent lot....

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

No, I said Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so it too will be leaving the EU.

I also said that there are many different accents in the English spoken in the British Isles. Welsh , like Gaelic (Scottish and Welsh) are totally different languages. You can't understand them, fair enough, neither can I, but there are lots of languages around the world I can't, from Azerbaijani to Zulu!

As for the precise details as to how much Scotch and Irish whisky will cost, who will buy and sell motorcars and to what extent wearing raincoats will be mandatory only time and the next two years will tell. I will hazard a guess that there won't be an awful lot of difference when the dust settles, trade around the world will continue. I wouldn't get too excited about the British leaving Thailand either, we're an awkward persistent lot....

So in Ireland they already have 2 currencies, i never knew that.

And if the Irish want to buy goods from the other side of their country it's like importing from another continent :shock1:

Well i guess the Brits will move their carfactories to Europe mainland for taxreasons. Maybe other industries will follow.

It's a brave step to leave the EU but i hope for the Brits that more countries follow them. They also better be nice to uncle Donald.

But the UK as a whole single kingdom with same currency and laws would be better for all there on those islands. 

Now Scottland will have to decide who's side they will choose...That will give many more issues of course.

Well thanks for explaining about the UK, i wonder how many europeans know all this...we just call them UK and that's about it.

Also for those taxfree islands like Guernsee  this will change a lot i guess.

But for this landdeal which the brittish ambassador is selling, will the cash be shared among the brittish countries? Did they also decide all together to sell this piece of land? Did the scotts have anything to say in it?

40 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So in Ireland they already have 2 currencies, i never knew that.

And if the Irish want to buy goods from the other side of their country it's like importing from another continent :shock1:

Well i guess the Brits will move their carfactories to Europe mainland for taxreasons. Maybe other industries will follow.

It's a brave step to leave the EU but i hope for the Brits that more countries follow them. They also better be nice to uncle Donald.

But the UK as a whole single kingdom with same currency and laws would be better for all there on those islands. 

Now Scottland will have to decide who's side they will choose...That will give many more issues of course.

Well thanks for explaining about the UK, i wonder how many europeans know all this...we just call them UK and that's about it.

Also for those taxfree islands like Guernsee  this will change a lot i guess.

But for this landdeal which the brittish ambassador is selling, will the cash be shared among the brittish countries? Did they also decide all together to sell this piece of land? Did the scotts have anything to say in it?

The money from the sale of the embassy land will, I presume got to the UK, since the UK originally paid for it,

The Scots send Members of Parliament to the UK Parliament, as do the Welsh and Northern Irish. Don't go running away with the idea, that they are "occupied nations" despite what some of the more eccentric  nationalists would have you believe.

Ireland has two separate countries, therefore two separate currencies. 

The Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Sark, are not part of the UK. They acknowledge the Queen as head of state, she also holds the title "Duke of Normandy" , and as such she is their monarch.  That title dates to 1066 and William the Conquerer. They seem to prefer being controlled by the UK rather than by France. They have always allowed the UK to handle defense, foreign affairs and such matters for them, but they are not part of the UK. In fact they are not part of the EU either. They are not "Tax Free", just have their own rules, independant of the UK and the EU

Well it's complicated there in the UK...

And those channel islands are something like Monaco i assume, nice haven for the rich and famous to avoid tax. Thailand doesn't have that though afaik...but here the rich just get away with anything they want.

All those asylumseekers who are desperate to go to the UK by boat should go to those channel islands..just like they do in Lampedusa to get into europe.

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Scotland will have to leave the EU if the brexiteers continue on their merry path to disaster.

They have no choice.

Eire will remain in the EU as they are not [and never were willingly] part of the UK.

Northern Ireland remains under british rule and they will suffer because of the brexiteers.

56 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Scotland will have to leave the EU if the brexiteers continue on their merry path to disaster.

They have no choice.

Eire will remain in the EU as they are not [and never were willingly] part of the UK.

Northern Ireland remains under british rule and they will suffer because of the brexiteers.

The Brexit is a fact now..can't go back...so Scottland has to make up it's mind fast.

So halfway Ireland there will be a border from the EU where they have to apply for visa? Almost can't believe it.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The Brexit is a fact now..can't go back...so Scottland has to make up it's mind fast.

So halfway Ireland there will be a border from the EU where they have to apply for visa? Almost can't believe it.

Scotland has no choice. 

They have been refused a referendum on independence and will leave the eu whether they want to or not. 

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

They have been refused a referendum on independence and will leave the eu whether they want to or no

Scotland had a referendum on indelendance last year and they voted to remain part of the UK