Phone call from Visa office for 6 month UK visit

The visa office in Bangkok rang this morning - three woking days after the appointment. Does anybody know how long the processing time is after the phone call?

The Home office website says 1/2 of all applications are finished within five days and 99 per cent within 10 working days. 

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice.gov.uk/y/bangkok-thailand/visits-visas/general-visit-6-months-or-less

The phone call was pretty interrogating... asking if she had ever spoken to my parents (no) why she hadn't spoken to my parents, how many uncles I have, my date of birth, how to spell my surname, how many tables there are at the restaurant, how much for a burger, how she can book a table etc etc 

They also rang her employer to verify the letter.  

Edited by RandolphGB

I imagine that the decision would have been made pretty soon after the team member passed on the results of the conversation to the ECO, so I suspect you'll hear in a few days or so.

Nothing unusual about checking the details of the application via a phone call, better to do so rather than a straight refusal I suppose. 

Thanks for the reply. The boss just contacted us. He told the interviewer the wrong salary! On the application it is the correct amount -- 12,000thb a month and he told the interviewer 15,000thb. He said he couldn't remember and they called first thing in the morning. So he's made a mistake... but he verified that he had signed a letter for this. I'm reading now about the ten year bans for false information... could this happen because of this? 

Any ban will be based around deliberate attempts to mislead ie fraud.

Mistakes happen.

I would doubt the wage figure would be enough to cause trouble on its own. I would not be able to say how much any of my employees are earning.

• Like 2

Thanks, Bob. That's reassuring. It's still bizarre... they spoke with her and her boss in Thai, even though everything I've read said that if documents and letters were submitted in English they'd speak to them in English. The calls were from a Thai number for the British Embassy in Bangkok. 

On the application, it specifically asks if your GF would like to speak in Thai or English if they need to call you. An employer's letter in Thai needs a translation to English and they will speak to the employer in Thai. If the letter is in English, UKVI will expect to speak in English.

21 hours ago, rasg said:

On the application, it specifically asks if your GF would like to speak in Thai or English if they need to call you. An employer's letter in Thai needs a translation to English and they will speak to the employer in Thai. If the letter is in English, UKVI will expect to speak in English.

Yes, all the letters were in English and they spoke in Thai. But yes, the presence on the application was to speak in Thai

Quick update... this morning she was awarded the visa for 180 days. This was exactly two weeks (10 working days) after the initial interview / applicatohn submission in person. This was our first attempt.

Thank you for all the help from Thai Visa and the members!

That's great news. We are  in the same situation. Went in last Friday and they called on Monday to her employer and to her. Now 4 days later we haven't heard anything , we have paid for the sms service. So, fingers crossed, just like you we will get it soon. Songkran is not going to help we were hoping to get it back before. Your good news makes us feel better, thanks for sharing.

It seems like most of the applications are taking 10 working days. In your case, they contacted the employer sooner  ( with us they called on the Wednesday after the interview on a Friday). Best of luck.