For those with Samsung inverter washing machines

Crossy

Wait a minute... is this the guy with a whole house surge suppressor and bunches of MOV's in front of various electronics (including the washer?).  Do you have a conclusion for that?

Hope you know this is not a diss - just wondering.

Cheers.

Edit:  my Samsung inverter fridge has the "square box" on the top - maybe the same thingy?  But, I sure as hell don't want to unplug that during storms.  Maybe fire up the genset when lightning about?

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

It is indeed :(

One assumes a weakness in the Samsung inverter design.

Much depends upon the transformer failure mode, it wasn't a lightning strike (at least not a direct strike), the transformer flashed-over in a big way. The big humm which suggests a short (snake maybe) could have been a phase-phase short which could have caused a relatively long term overvoltage. Your surge suppression would not be able to manage such energy, and may not even have triggered.

Again, not trying to wind you up... but don't you also have over-voltage relays in your system?  Or, maybe you need one. ;)  I mean, with all the gadgets that you have to protect for this and that and then the "weakness" in the Samsung inverter design can't handle something.  Ah, what to think. 

• Like 1

Oh yes, we have over-volt protection, but all these things take a finite time to operate. The kit has to withstand the over-voltage until the protection operates.

There's no such thing as absolute protection, there will always be a circumstance beyond the design parameters.

I stand by the fact than nothing else was damaged, it all got the same voltages but only the washer paid the price.

Hey Crossy, I ain't gotta Samsung, but an Electrolux inverter washing machine.
I've never heard a machine make sooooooo much noise. When spinning, sounds like a space craft from a far away planet taking off.
Of course SWMBO blames me for this. She's tried it in different positions all around the house (except in the purpose built laundry), and it still makes the same noise on spinning.
Does yours make noises, or is it just my fault, again?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's no such thing as absolute protection,

Really?  How about replacing it with this. Duck when it becomes airborne!

It was supposed to be a picture of a hand washing board but I can't paste it in for some un intelligent reason.

Edited by wayned

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

I've never heard a machine make sooooooo much noise. When spinning, sounds like a space craft from a far away planet taking off.
Of course SWMBO blames me for this. She's tried it in different positions all around the house (except in the purpose built laundry), and it still makes the same noise on spinning.

Must be your fault @carlyai the Samsung is incredibly quiet even on spin :smile:

• 4 months later...

Well, here we are 4 months later and it went "phut" again. I was in the room with it, a flicker of the room lights suggesting a surge / interruption followed by the machine running down from spin and no lights on the front.

Out of warranty so a total of 3,800 Baht to replace the electronics module (inc. 1,050 call out) . Replacement has a 3 month warranty.

We get to keep the dead one, 100% through-hole components with a popped incoming fuse, should be 100% repairable.

Except.

The ruddy lot (including the fuse) is epoxy coated. It's unlikely to be just the fuse (it's annihilated, not just open so I suspect a switcher fault) but no real reason the unit is not repairable if the parts are available.

Grrrrr.

I'll be looking on Ebay for the relevant part number, it's not like I can't DIY fit a replacement.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Wait a minute... is this the guy with a whole house surge suppressor and bunches of MOV's in front of various electronics (including the washer?).  Do you have a conclusion for that?

That makes me feel a bit better. I follow Crossys posts and worry that one day the world is going to end because, except for a Safe-T-Cut I don't have any the protection he has. I can sleep a  bit easier knowing all the protection in the world can't fully protect. :sick:

Samsung! We love Samsung in this house. We have Samsung Digital Inverter fridge (no box on top?) Digital Inverter top loader washing machine with "Wobble" technology (?) good old twin tub washer, 2 flat screen TV, two flat screen monitors and a couple of Samsung phones. and so far have not had a problem with any of them. :thumbsup:

Having said that I will now keep my fingers firmly crossed.  :smile:  

It was suggested to us to install an on/off switch just before the outlet for the washer/dryer. I thought it was stupid until I realized why. Same difference as unplugging (unless lightning struck the line, I guess!) but a little more convenient. 

Same issue with clock/timer on stove. Only it's impractical to constantly turn off a clock, so after two failures we simply do without. 

Surge suppressors have a finite life and in order to have that warm fuzzy feeling of being protected you have to replace them a minimum every two years or replace them all when there is a surge. Every time a suppressor takes a hit it looses some of its effectiveness so a few hits and its next to useless.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, Crossy said:

It is indeed :(

One assumes a weakness in the Samsung inverter design.

Much depends upon the transformer failure mode, it wasn't a lightning strike (at least not a direct strike), the transformer flashed-over in a big way. The big humm which suggests a short (snake maybe) could have been a phase-phase short which could have caused a relatively long term overvoltage. Your surge suppression would not be able to manage such energy, and may not even have triggered.

In this situation, is there any way to protect any electric / electronic machine ? Or the only solution is to unplug ? So Thai were right ? :-)

Thank you for your insight.

Inverters, be it air-cons, washing machines or refrigerators are no good in Thailand.

What with blackouts, brownouts and surges in the electricity.

Surge protectors do not help much.

I had an Samsung Air-con Inverter which called it quits because of that.

Shifted it out for a LG non-inverter and no more problems.

• Confused 1

I think your statement is a little too general.

Even though it's only been a couple of years, out inverter aircons and washing machine are still working OK.
But we do have incoming voltage stabalisers.

IMHO unplugging after use is the best option.  But as technology advances so does the problems of doing this. 

Not related to a washing machine but to my FIL's TV.  He has moved into my workshop, another story, and has an old 29" TV provided to me.  There is an antenna on a pole out back but the reception where i live is terrible and he only gets one or two channels that are view-able.  I have a large "C' band antenna so I bought a set top box and ran the wiring to the shop and hooked it up.  I showed him how to work it and he can get many good channels.  I checked later and he was watching the s**t channels on the antenna, not the set top box. The basic problem is that he has been taught to unplug everything when not in use.  So when he unplugs the set top box and plugs it back in it goes through a "lengthy " setup but them he has to select channel 3 on it to watch channel 7.  When he  plugs the TV back in it resets to TV mode and to get the set top box channels he has to select AV on the remote.  It is obviously too much for him to comprehend so he just watches the channels on the antenna since it's a no brainer!! 

• Like 1

[mention=77463]wayned[/mention] You can get there with your FIL.

Just show him, then let him do the setup repeatedly, 3 times a day for a few weeks. Will work.

Worked with SWMBO. Now she's a wizz.

Practise makes Perfect.

Don't show him how to test for 220v by wetting his fingers and lightly touching the wires.

I know you can do this as you're a sparky.

EDIT

SORRY, don't anyone wet their fingers and touch for live wires. Just a myth you hear at trade school.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:05 PM, carlyai said:

I have an LG Inverter. Quiet as a mouse. You can hardly hear it. Have Electrolux check it out...

1 hour ago, wayned said:

I tried to convert my old Panasonic washing machine into and inverter type, but when I turned it over I couldn't keep the water in it! :sorry:

I wonder if I could invert my front loader inverter model for inverted inverter technology or would it be un-inverted? Should hold water. :sorry: also.

One thing's for sure, don't attempt messing with inverter technology while on your moving Harley. A few years back I got pretty banged up doing this & the only thing left inverted was my collarbone.

• Like 1

I just priced up the part from various online suppliers, remember we paid 3,800 Baht from Samsung including the man coming out and fitting it.

Surajit.co.th - 3,450 Baht (no stock)

Priceza.com - 3,450 Baht

Ebay -79 Quid plus 24 Quid shipping = 103 Quid (4,420 Baht)

Zandparts - 128 Euro plus shipping = 5,023 baht (plus shipping)

So getting it from Samsung was quick and easy, IMHO worth the 400 Baht premium to have the man do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

SORRY, don't anyone wet their fingers and touch for live wires. Just a myth you hear at trade school.

Many (many) moons ago when I was an apprentice we all ran old (even for then) British motorcycles, most weekends were spent fixing them.

A mate, let's call him Donny (what else do you call a guy from Doncaster), used to check magnetos by sticking his finger in the spark-plug cap and kicking the bike over, he reckoned he could tell a good spark.

One day he asked to compare my shiny new Suzuki GT250 to get an idea what a "really good" spark felt like. He duly inserted a finger and I kicked over the bike.

Unfortunately it started on the other cylinder, Donny spent a fair few seconds jumping around before I got to the kill-switch (a difficult task when another mate is enjoying the show and preventing said action).

I wonder where he is now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Sorry, but can I know what is an inverter washing machine ? I only knew ineverter aircon !

Same principle, the drum motor is electronically controlled to vary the speed and direction, they are usually direct-drive (no belts).

• Like 1