Inguinal hernia cost experience and recovery?

sapson

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As explained before, this is elective surgery. The only reason for doing it is that on balance, for an otherwise healthy person, the risk of it strangulating are higher than the risk associated with the surgery. (This equation is reversed for the very elderly and people with health conditions placing them at unusual risk for surgery).

To give you an idea, the annual risk of strangulation is about 1-2%. Risk of it in a 6 month period would be half that. So odds are 99-99.5% you will  be fine delaying the surgery. You should do it eventually (unless you have helath condition that makes you a poor operative risk) but there is no rush. Some people wait years before getting around to it, and if you had it done back home on the NHS you'd likely be made to wait 6 months or more.

In addition, your new job should provide you with insurance through the Thai  Social Security system, unless it is a private school.  This will pay the cost of the surgery in full.

Thanks Sheryl, very interesting its a hard call, seeing the extremely obvious bulge is very concerning, but in the morning after sleep it can be flat but of course sadly re-appears.

When i had the other side done 20 years ago their was nothing to see, I had know idea, but the doctor obviously did and put me on the waiting list for surgery,............so now as it is stunningly obvious I worry about ignoring it, or that it is not in fact a hernia but something else................but not sure what can be easily mistaken for an inguinal hernia? if anything? partially blocked intestine perhaps, ulcer, tumor etc?

Will try to get an ultrasound on the abdomen done and a doctors confirmation in the next week!

Re insurance with job its neither of the above, but a placement company who you officially work for, they offer not the government scheme but a very basic, well known insurer company block policy that covers non scheduled surgery to a pretty low limit but no requests for medical history information are required............guess if you went to ER in agony and ignorance they would operate and the insurers would pay up, who knows?

I would like to think a regime of a few kms daily walking etc might pull in back in and keep it under control but am reluctant to get back into an exercise program in case in worsens or something else breaks.

The inclination is to protect it,I eat so little now to avoid any gut problems which is causing dramatic weight loss and I am scared of lifting anything............. maybe ignoring it within reason is the better policy?

But did manage the visa trip albeit very cautiously so alleviated the immigration problem for a while.

thanks for your input!!

You are making way too much of this.

Exercise will not help, and the fact that the bulge is obvious to you is not relevant to the risk, which as explained is very small. The only thing that would signal a need to act sooner rather than later would be if you could no longer easily push it back in (even though it pops right back out). That and/or severe abdominal pain. If these occur, go to an emergency room. But odds are they will not.

It will not need an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis, a simple physical exam by a doctor will do it.

It is unlikely to be anything else from your description, but do see a doctor just to confirm. The various things you mention (blocked intestine etc) would all have you severely ill. This sounds like a simple, garden variety hernia.

Even a low level of insurance cover would likely be enough if surgery done in a government or military hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived