Cannot Transfer Money From Au To Th - Internet Banking Stopped In Th?

Hi,

just now tried use internet banking to send some money to my wife in Thailand like usual but the Thai Baht has been taken off their currency list. Called the bank's hotline and after waiting half an hour on hold they tell me they cannot transfer any amounts to Thailand at all [however small... LOL]

Anyone else having the same trouble?

Is it happening from America too?

Any other ideas?

I'll look at Western Union - but I recall from last time I think they charge a lot more in commissions etc.

Hi,

just now tried use internet banking to send some money to my wife in Thailand like usual but the Thai Baht has been taken off their currency list. Called the bank's hotline and after waiting half an hour on hold they tell me they cannot transfer any amounts to Thailand at all [however small... LOL]

Any other ideas?

I'll look at Western Union - but I recall from last time I think they charge a lot more in commissions etc.

See my thread from the UK -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97559

Seems to be all banks have stopped trading in the baht!

I would be surprised if Western Union would do it also since they still need to buy the Baht - but it would be interesting know.

Hi,

Any other ideas?

After reading your post i went to ATM , i try to withdraw 10000 bhat with my Amex ( it did not work ) coincidence ??? i am not sure

i was able to withdraw with the visa !

why not just sen aussie dollars over from your account,then when it arrives in thailand they change to baht.

yes doing that the past 1 year , after visa start to charge nearly 3% fee for withdraw or purchass ! I just was not sure how the thing will turn up today with the stockmarket and want some extra cash for few days !

looking at how quick can turn , my next move will be to buy few baht of gold for safe keeping !

just now tried use internet banking to send some money to my wife in Thailand like usual but the Thai Baht has been taken off their currency list.

The above sentence indicates that you ordered your bank to remit Baht. Make a new online order to remit Australian Dollars and you should have no problem, and a better exchange rate, too, when the AUD get converted to THB in Thailand.

--

Maestro

why not just sen aussie dollars over from your account,then when it arrives in thailand they change to baht.

because they charge extra for that - 600baht plus 1.5% of the amount as a commission. Also, you're at their mercy for the conversion rate too. St George bank in Australia charges a flat $20 and the rates are generally pretty good.

In the end I did try sending it in AU$ anyway - there doesn't seem to be much choice now.

Western Union quoted me $AU756.68 to send 20,000baht - compared to $732.88 it would have normally cost me with St George.

so you are saying when the money arrives in thailand, the thai bank charges 600 baht to your account plus 1.5%commision.

that is a hefty commision,daylight robbery if you ask me.

yes, if it's a foreign currency.

that's why, till now, I've been using my Australian bank to send baht instead of dollars - it's a lot cheaper...

FYI it's Bangkok Bank BTW

- I wonder if other banks in Thailand have better rates?

i also want to no about what other banks charge,as i have opened a kasikorn bank account for the purpose of sending money before my next trip,if what you state is correct i will bring cash exchange on the street and put in the bank.

Edited by nev

so you are saying when the money arrives in thailand, the thai bank charges 600 baht to your account plus 1.5%commision.

that's why, till now, I've been using my Australian bank to send baht instead of dollars - it's a lot cheaper...

This sounds very strange indeed. I use both Krung Thai Bank and Bangkok Bank and their charges when receiving a foreign transfer have always been very modest, and certainly nowhere near 1.5% plus 600 baht. Also the exchange rate has always been very good, in fact it's generally accepted that you get a far superior rate by making the exchange in Thailand as opposed to in your home country.

Sophon

every 4-5 weeks my friend do a transfer from australian bank to my account in thailand , around 2000 AU dollars .

send as dollar and will be change in thailand !

the last one was : rates 28.31 commission 250 baht and cost over there was 28 AU dollars

changing baht in australia ? you getting a very low echange rates

i am with bangkok bank and national in australia !

never see so much high cost as mention :

the thai bank charges 600 baht to your account plus 1.5%commision

Edited by simcity

I would very much like to see your source for that statement of "1.5% commission" and I am very sure if there is any commission it is not at Bangkok Bank. In my experience Bangkok Bank provides the stated exchange rate for TT transfer (always better than the rate given outside country) and the only deduction is at intermediary bank and .25 service charge up to a very low maximum. My experience is supported in almost every post I have read on the subject so believe you have been mislead or Oz/your bank is a very big exception to the normal procedures.

Western Union will always be the high price leader from most reports.

I'm going to have to look into it when I get back to LOS in Feb07, go through the statements etc.

My long haired dictionary is quite good at English for general things, but I think it will be easier to just go into the bank and ask for myself when I am there.

I'm going to have to look into it

Better than that, have your wife ask her bank to print out the credit note for the last inward remittance. To give you an idea what such credit note looks like, I attach a copy of the last one I got from my Thai bank.

post-21260-1166939379_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

We have also been transferring money as Thai Baht ( was not aware of the AUD trick) to Bangkok Bank for years now. Using CBA or St George in Oz $27 to $35 at that end and recently 500B this end. On checking the explanation is Oz bank transfers only go to the Head Office Bangkok of the Thai Bank. As our mums account was Sankampheang Chiangmai and a Savings Passbook Account the 500B is the cost of internal Tx within Thailand-you will not see this fee in the area previously posted.

On advise from our Thai Bank Manager, to beat this (hopefully) we have just opened a Visa Electron Account. This will also allow us to personally track in "real time" (using online internet banking facilities) if any future transfers run astray, which has occurred but we have not known for 4-6 weeks as the old lady had difficulty in getting the 20 km into Sankamphaeng.

Merlin, check Sophons post number 13, that is all the Bangkok bank should charge. My account is in Pattaya and that is all they charge me. Just as a tip mate, Westpac bank allows you to do internet transfers for only $20 AUD per transfer (Check link Here). Always send Aussie $$ and Bangkok Bank will change it on their end and it will always be better for you as in more baht for you. When I do my transfers it is usually in within 24 hours (not weekends), I use their phone banking system to check it, works fine, cheers.

Edited by bmanly

every 4-5 weeks my friend do a transfer from australian bank to my account in thailand , around 2000 AU dollars .

the last one was : rates 28.31 commission 250 baht and cost over there was 28 AU dollars

How did your friend get such a good rate ?, I just checked on the National Australia Bank site and I got this...

1 AUD = 26.909 Thai Bahts

2000 AUD = 53,818.00 Thai Bahts

Indicative Rate as at: 22-DEC-2006

I would like to know since I was doing transfers with St. George Bank and they were around 27.3, however now they

have stopped transfers to Thai Bank's.

Regards

Frank

How did your friend get such a good rate ?, I just checked on the National Australia Bank site and I got this...

1 AUD = 26.909 Thai Bahts

2000 AUD = 53,818.00 Thai Bahts

Indicative Rate as at: 22-DEC-2006

I would like to know since I was doing transfers with St. George Bank and they were around 27.3, however now they

have stopped transfers to Thai Bank's.

Regards

Frank

Frank i just reply to your privat message .

i ask my friend to send AU dollars and change in thailand .

i never change aus to Thai baht in australia , the rate is not good !

next time i get a transfer will tell you what i am getting and you could compare day for day

cheer

My fiance and I have a joint credit card account here in Oz....I transfer the dosh on the net..and she withdraws it from there with a cost of about $4-6AUD......works wonderfully well...It has a minimum limit which is useful for emergencies.

She withdrew from that account the yesterday without any hassles.

My fiance and I have a joint credit card account here in Oz....I transfer the dosh on the net..and she withdraws it from there with a cost of about $4-6AUD......works wonderfully well...It has a minimum limit which is useful for emergencies.

GB, that was the case until around Oct, Com Bank Fee now $12.71, Westpac $5 non ATM fee plus $10.61 International Fee. Dont try the same thing with an Australian VISA card 200,000Baht $85 cash advance $174 International Trans Fee

GB, that was the case until around Oct, Com Bank Fee now $12.71, Westpac $5 non ATM fee plus $10.61 International Fee. Dont try the same thing with an Australian VISA card 200,000Baht $85 cash advance $174 International Trans Fee

Still is the case....it is the same fee as would occur if you used your own CC overseas...I transfer the money from my cheque account into the joint account same as I do for my own CC. I am not doing an international transfer but a local transfer. She then makes an overseas withdrawal as I would if I was there. Totally legal and cost effective.

Edited by gburns57au

Well at least Thaksin is gone. Who needs money?

US bank issued and one Singapore bank issued Cirrus and Plus atm cards are still working as of about 2 hours ago. Knock on wood.

:o

Yes but try to transfer money to a Thai bank account, my bank has stoped trading the Thai baht as well. Internet banking the same, Thai baht is off the list. Acessing your funds through Cirus seems to be no problem, its just money transfers from account to account that are affected.

Can you imagine the lost foriegn income Thailand must be losing?

What a stuff up.

Well at least Thaksin is gone. Who needs money?

US bank issued and one Singapore bank issued Cirrus and Plus atm cards are still working as of about 2 hours ago. Knock on wood.

:o

Yes but try to transfer money to a Thai bank account, my bank has stoped trading the Thai baht as well. Internet banking the same, Thai baht is off the list. Acessing your funds through Cirus seems to be no problem, its just money transfers from account to account that are affected.

Can you imagine the lost foriegn income Thailand must be losing?

What a stuff up.

Your bank should be sending your currency for change in Thailand (assuming your bank is a major currency). There is no need for them to deal in baht as they don't deal in baht that way. It is also almost always cheaper to do it this way as a better exchange rate is used.