working on my budget - Part 2 "clarification"

dirkjones

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Just like anywhere, NJ has it's nice parts but for the most it sucks....  (my opinion)

-Real-estate prices are much higher than they should be.

-Traffic is horrendous with rude drivers.

-Most folks are downright mean and disrespectful.

-High crime.

-High taxes.

-Drugs and gangs most everywhere.

I've never lived there but have been there many times to know it's a place I wouldn't want to live. I have friend and relatives still living there as well as some that have moved away. There are many many other places in the USA that I would rather be from, currently living, or visiting.....  (Again, my opinion)

And worst of all about Nu Joysie is the problem I had explaining to a local in McDonalds that I did not want cheese in my egg McMuffin...NO CHEESE...OK....No sir, the egg McMuffin comes with cheese.....I Don't want cheese. Sir, you have to have it. Sir, if you continue to argue I will have to call security.......

Nu Joysie.....the pits.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

non thai Friend who's been living in Chiang mai told me around 11pm yesterday that 8k should typically be more than enough for entertainment in a month

I am a little baffled about the "around 11pm yesterday" titbit...but nonetheless, I spend more in a month on beer than 8,000 baht. 

Also, what is covered by entertainment? You could easily blow 10,000 baht in a week with certain fascinations, no pun intended. . . . 

And if you are traveling around the country, airfares will add to that cost a bit. 

....it's not about doing things "Western" either. There are many things you can spend a lot of money on regardless...then again, you can take a hot air balloon, or a microlight, or even zip line to your death. These all cost too. 

The point is just come and do what you want and when the money runs out, go home. 

11pm est time If my math is right is 9 pm mst and that means 10 am CM time and a good time to talk to his babes.

some ideas on cheap entertainment is to talk to gals in towns between CM and phitsanuluk.   Then take a bus and have a fun night or two These gals should be able to get you a room for under 1000 and or maybe sleep on their couch .. wink wink..

One thing I worry about is that you get to serious to soon with one woman.. Dont do this..

On 31/03/2017 at 10:16 AM, louse1953 said:

I was just thinking young Dirk seems a bit green,fair enoughwe all have to start sometime.Then i thought about a mentoring service,dinkum.Some of you nice CM members show him the ropes.If it doesn't clik,just walk away.He maybe kind enought to offer lunch or a few frothies.We could have mentors in each city/town.

If this is genuine, it's a perfect shoe in for real life experience.

Hit the ground not knowing what to expect. get drunk in a few bars, wake up next to the Bride of Chucky, get screwed by a few "innocent" girls (financially as well as literally), fall in love, realise you have spent you budget in half the time allocated and then put it all down to experience.

This is Thailand after all and he is very young.

Sound familiar to many?

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Nightlife in CM is abysmal.  Sure, you can have a lot of fun, but finding a semi-clean bar with cold beer at a decent price is a Herculean task.  John's Place comes to mind, but the fact that it used to be so much better makes it harder to accept its mediocrity.  You might meet some nice people, though.  There are two very large classes represented in the nightlife scene.  Pretentious, hiso Thais around Nimman with their hair in a bun, and circus pants wearing dirty backpackers with man buns around THAPHAE Gate.  Hard to find something in between.  Oh, and a million Chinese, if you happen to consider them to be human. 

I laughed at this but The part about Chinese at the end just made me laugh and not in a good way.

I am pretty sure the OP is not interested in a bar unless its for the live music or to please one of his many options.

I admire this young lad..  He is doing lots of research.  I have done the same internet planning or similar this last year.  It is amazing what you can learn on the internet. I see no reason he cant try to live like a local. I would imagine many Thai women will be interested in a young American (NJ aside),  A fit, guy, vegetarian, good planner, interested in Thai culture and language.  He is a ticket to the USA for some lucky woman.   I would think he could meet many gals from 18-30  his choice.  I mean this kid is pretty serious to have accumulated more than most of you broke d&#ks have in your savings. And he is willing to leave the USA grindstone 35 years earlier than most.   Despite Thailand's image and what many come here for many of us have never employed a sex worker and think life is more interesting fishing the other waters.

Edited by Elkski

Keep in mind, half the people replying are older than his grandmother.  Would you get advice on entertainment expenses from someone forty years older, at home?  Does he need to know re to jumbo Depends at an affordable price?  Will he need boxes of diabetic syringes?  Prescription eyeglasses with a 400/20 bifocal so he can read while he drives?   

I am a little confused. You have never been to Chiang Mai but said you lived in Bangkok for three years, correct?.. Can I assume then you had some type of budget during that time? If that is the case it should not take a genius I.Q. to figure out a workable budget for Chiang Mai. Yes, C.M. in a lot of instances is cheaper but also remember that the distance many items have to travel to get here balances out what you might pay for the same item in Bangkok. You already have had experiance with living on a budget.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

first don't plan on a monthly budget. First need to use some common sense.  A budget doesn't account for all the things wrong and those that claim to spend 30k baht a month probably end up spending a lot more than 360k baht for the year. 

Count on spending 150k baht you first month. 

As for motorcycle, unless you have an international driver;s license for a motorcycle expect to pay a lot more than 10k baht for 6 months. Your fines will be 400 baht every time you pass a cop. 

Expect to spend a total of about 15k usd for the first 6 months.  Usually you will spend less than that in a year after you are set up and have a routine and free hobbies, but usually takes some adjustment.

People think everything is so cheap compared to their home country that they actually spend a lot more. 

Then you will get homesick and search for comfort foods and western products at some point. Might cost a lot.

Then if you try to impress nice women, you will spend a lot more than 30k baht a month.

Round up and bring at least 3-5k dollars more than you need and an escape plan.  Many people come and get stuck in a rut and have troubles.

9 hours ago, idman said:

I am a little confused. You have never been to Chiang Mai but said you lived in Bangkok for three years, correct?.. Can I assume then you had some type of budget during that time? If that is the case it should not take a genius I.Q. to figure out a workable budget for Chiang Mai. Yes, C.M. in a lot of instances is cheaper but also remember that the distance many items have to travel to get here balances out what you might pay for the same item in Bangkok. You already have had experiance with living on a budget.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

no  i never lived outside of America.. I've never been to Thailand. I've been to Hong Kong had an amazing time.. But never been to Thailand