working on my budget - Part 2 "clarification"

dirkjones

Hello. 1st off Thanks for the feedback. so my  1st post wasn't clear. .so allow me to start over.. 

My Name Is Darren. I'm 33 yrs old.. From New Jersey "united states" 

I'm moving to Chiang Mai Oct  2017. until March 30th. 2018

I never been to Thailand.  - this is my version of a test visit.

don't Expect This to be a 6 month vacation. I don't expect to party nightly

while i do want to meet ladies, I'm also very reserve, Not looking to go out on dates nightly 

As of now i'm WORKING on building a Budget..  Nothing is finalized.

I project i'll have roughly 33,000 to 40,000 baht a month. 

I have a separate budget for Visas, Insurance, border runs, language classes 

I want to experience Chiang mai day to day  like both a Local & expat 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For rent my budget is 8,000 to 12,000 baht.  - i'm aware of the 2 months security + 1 month rent 

scooter budget as of is 10,800 baht either buying used or a 6 month rental  " sure i'll find something"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what i would like for you "the good people of this forum to do is

help me create a budget for entertainment - instead of me asking ya'll to tell me what i should spend
tell me what ya'll do. and what ya'll want to do. and give me the cost. 

tell me what are some the some of the most popular things you do daily. Include the average cost

tell me the best places to go for day/ weekend trips, idc if its its
in chiang mai, Chiang rai, bangkok, Krabi, ect  include the sights you see, and what you do.
and things you want to try.. 

give me a list of some of the best Restaurants in the city, hidden or non popular attraction 
that you discovered was Beautiful and fun 

tell me where are the best markets with local prices. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because i'm moving alone and without a social network, I have the ability to go and do as many things
as i desire, and can spend as little or as much as i can afford.

Thanks again.. 

Darren

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.  Please tell us where you are at.

If it's lack of nightlife you seek, you've chosen Chiang Mai wisely.  Your entertainment budget will be minimal. 

Sorry, you're from Jersey so you may not understand what I meant.  I mean, if it's lack of nightlife ya'all seek, ya'all dun chosen Chiang Mai wisely.  Ya'all's ennertainmint budget ought to be minimal.  Ya'all.

Edited by 55Jay

I am visiting friends and family in NJ this month...I can attest it is indeed in the United States. It is very cold here now....Chiang Mai will be warmer (although I have never been there but have lived in Bangkok for almost 3 years). 

Just now, 55Jay said:

What do you want?  Temples? 

i want you to tell me what the most popular things to do, where you go for day trips weekend trips, road trips lol. where are the hidden gems in chiang mai and northern thailand. lol  

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

I am visiting friends and family in NJ this month...I can attest it is indeed in the United States. It is very cold here now....Chiang Mai will be warmer (although I have never been there but have lived in Bangkok for almost 3 years). 

right now jersey is about 9 degrees c 

1 minute ago, dirkjones said:

i want you to tell me what the most popular things to do, where you go for day trips weekend trips, road trips lol. where are the hidden gems in chiang mai and northern thailand. lol  

A lot of that is subjective. The Internet has loads of info. Everyone has different tastes. What is fun for one is pure pain for another.

Just now, tonray said:

A lot of that is subjective. The Internet has loads of info. Everyone has different tastes. What is fun for one is pure pain for another.

No im telling you to tell me what it is that you personally live to do .  where do you visit what do you think are the hidden gems.

1 minute ago, dirkjones said:

No im telling you to tell me what it is that you personally live to do .  where do you visit what do you think are the hidden gems.

Well I can tell you about Bangkok or Kohn Kaen but never been to CM. I would suggest you make a list of things you want to see/do and then explore on your own. There are no hidden gems only rocks that either glint in the sun for some or get tossed into the roadbed for others.

Just now, tonray said:

Well I can tell you about Bangkok or Kohn Kaen but never been to CM. I would suggest you make a list of things you want to see/do and then explore on your own. There are no hidden gems only rocks that either glint in the sun for some or get tossed into the roadbed for others.

tell me about both

Just now, dirkjones said:

tell me about both

Bangkok: Happy Land Market / Seacon Bang Kae/ Talat Phlu Train Station Market / Wat Paknam / Phasi Charoen Canals / etc etc

Kohn Kaen: Ruen Rom Night Market / Ton Tann Market / Bueng Kaen Nakhon / Bueng Thung Sang Fitness Park...etc etc

Prices are all over the spectrum.  Some pay 2 USD for a large Tiger, while others pay 8 for a bottle of microbrew you could get in joisey for 1.50.  Wine is outrageously expensive and so is cheese.  Your race and religion will play a part in your experience here...they don't like beards or gypsies, however there is a good sized segment of the tourism industry that caters to them.  I don't think "chow yew" is in the lonely planet dictionary because it is irrelevant.  Your questions are too broad.  Oh, and People that lug around lots of camera gear tend to look like idiots, and cheap domestic flights aren't cheap if you have baggage like that.  It is also considered impolite to film/foto people without permission.  Snaping a quick foto with a phone comes across differently.  Taking a photo of a rogue Bib or taxidriver..downright dangerous.  BTW, a lot of the people on Ed visas are simply losers gaming the system...expect to be treated accordingly by Immigration.  Still better than being a teacher..but probably worse than a missionary.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

You are wildly overthinking this.  You and only you know how much you will spend. Budget is a very personal thing.  You will find hidden gems on your own. You have six months to figure this stuff out. Stop sweating it and just move to CM when the time comes. Are you seriously going to sit around and pour over this for the next six months?

Here's another thing. The dollar is around 34.5 now. In six months, it might be 30. Maybe even lower.  Think about that.

Also as someone mentioned on your other thread, take your budget and double it. Don't even think about coming with less than double what you think you will need. You will run out of money.

Agree with Tonray on Happyland.  One of the finest collections of good looking employed women I have ever seen....sure some of the Unis are mind blowing with good lookers, but hey, while some are on the game, they are just a bit young (however quite legal).  But, it's not on the BTS....it is on a 6.5 THB bus route, though.  Outstanding food and a decent mall.

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Agree with Tonray on Happyland.  One of the finest collections of good looking employed women I have ever seen....sure some of the Unis are mind blowing with good lookers, but hey, while some are on the game, they are just a bit young (however quite legal).  But, it's not on the BTS....it is on a 6.5 THB bus route, though.  Outstanding food and a decent mall.

555...I was only talking about the food scene at Happy Land...

7 hours ago, dirkjones said:

yea i don't seek night life 

Unless you seek nightlife your life at night will as boring as the most boring night you ever lived over and over.

I spent a month, unwillingly, in C M and regretted it every night.

What's to do- google will have many suggestions, but the reality may be less than implied, unless easily pleased.

What I did and marks out of 10

Night market 2

Night safari 8

Loi Kroh Rd bars -10. I mark it minus 10 because I've been to Pattaya where they do actually have a nightlife. Bar beers in C M are just a pale imitation of those in Pattaya.

Movies at Central 10. Excellent

Movies at Promenada 8. Only because it's hard to get to without your own transport. Excellent cinemas.

Central Airport Mall. Great for girl watching and eating in expensive chain restaurants.

Gecko restaurant 8. Only because it is a bit dark. I loved the food. I doubt the "ambience" is something someone from America would be used to though.

7 hours ago, donglingcha said:

You are wildly overthinking this.  You and only you know how much you will spend. Budget is a very personal thing.  You will find hidden gems on your own. You have six months to figure this stuff out. Stop sweating it and just move to CM when the time comes. Are you seriously going to sit around and pour over this for the next six months?

Here's another thing. The dollar is around 34.5 now. In six months, it might be 30. Maybe even lower.  Think about that.

Also as someone mentioned on your other thread, take your budget and double it. Don't even think about coming with less than double what you think you will need. You will run out of money.

Absolutely right. You could live on your planned budget, but probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

8 hours ago, dirkjones said:

Hidden gems are what makes the rest of it worth staying in LOS ( Thailand ). 

However, to find them you need your own transport. Having your own transport introduces a whole new level of risk as the traffic is barking mad. Good insurance is essential. To ride in LOS you need a m'bike licence from your own country and an international driving permit.

Traffic in C M is basically a traffic jam from morning to late at night, but a m'bike lets you scoot to the head of the jam at every traffic light. Just be aware you are low on the foodchain of drivers in cars.

C M has loads of temples. The one I like best is on the hills near the Flora gardens ( towards Hang Dong from the airport )- NOT Doi Suthep.

The Flora gardens ( Royal project ) is brilliant, but take a hat- it's damn hot out there.

The reservoir north of C M is a nice place to picnic with a lady friend.

North of C M are loads of hidden gems. There is a lake that you can stay on a houseboat.

Cave lodge is brilliant as is the cave and the birds in the evening.

Chang Dao is great for scenery and the cave.

Tub Tao cave - excellent.

Mae Hong Song is nice for a visit- loads of places around there.

South to Lamphun and Lampang. Great temples. The temple from Rambo 3 film is near Lamphun.

Heaps more if you are prepared to get out and look.

Hundreds of restaurants,  but the best are on the outskirts of the city and difficult to find/ get to.