Thailand to implement Alcohol sale stores following Scandinavian concept.

rooster59

1 hour ago, Nicebus said:

I just heard that these same liquor outlets will sell

* Radiator hoses for early model Volkswagons.

* 5 Litre drums of compressed air.

* Scissors for left handed people

and...a special calendar without April the First on it.

IMG_1536.JPG

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"In a raft of measures in line with the government's desire to reduce alcohol related crime and health issues spokeswoman Praewphan Ponhpaiboon announced at a press briefing that the government will implement an alcohol sales policy similar to the Swedish "System Bolaget"  wherein alcohol is only sold in designated stores. "

This proposal is much more restrictive than the Swedish system. Firstly you can buy at any "System Bolaget"  anywhere in the country. Secondly there is no restriction on the quantity you can purchase. Thirdly you can buy all day during normal shop opening times. However there is an age limit in that you must be over 21 years old and be able to prove it. This is to stop teenage binge drinking.

The Thai solution is ridiculous. It means if you go on holiday you are unable to buy even a bottle of wine to have with dinner. Also ridiculous is the strange times you can buy alcohol here, of course shops ignore this rule.

Of course it will only be on the 1st April each year

Edited 1 hour ago by ResandePohm

Maybe they will replace it with February 29 and have it every 4 years only!

1 hour ago, kathuboy said:

Just another case when the Thai Government have not made a correct Due Diligence. It happen too often here.

If you compare number of outlets in Sweden with the population Thailand needs between 4000 - 5000 outlets. Can Thailand make that before October 1 ! ! ! (If they mean 2017)

The advantage with the monopoly in Sweden is that they can buy in huge quantities. They are the biggest buyer of Vine in the world. That means that Sweden can buy very good quality to a very good price (In my opinion that is the only advantage with the monopoly).

Thailand also have to set up a huge purchasing office to buy good quality to a good price. This kind of Purchasing office is not set up quickly as you need qualified people who knows Vine very well.

The other things that sounds stupid is also that if I am going to vacation outside my Amphur, then I can not go to an outlet to buy Alcohol

They should feel shame when they suggest this to take effect so quickly as it is impossible.

Thailand can not even enforce people to wear a helmet when driving motor bike. How can they make this so quickly.

The Swedish monopoly company was established for 60 years ago.

THIS MUST BE AN APRIL 1ST FOOLS

This is serious stuff. Here's hoping you can sleep tonight.

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What a brilliant idea! A central government shop in each ampur.

But why stop at selling only alcohol?

They should also be the central place to sell cigarettes, police protection, government contracts, army jobs, lucky numbers and somtam.

Weed too.  Cut out the middle man, go direct.

Sooner or later the big guys at CP will tell those general to <snap> off or they will finance another change. So many peoples here on TV supported the current government when they took over the country so they all should be happy in a few years Cowboy and Nana is gone, Booze is only available in government stores and who knows what those nutties come up in Bangkok. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Same in Norway, alcohol is sold by government controlled stores, and heavy taxes on top. A simple bottle of wine is at least $20.

that is the Norwegian price for a more than just simple bottle - and it is cheaper than Thailand

8 hours ago, sanukjim said:

The state of Utah had this type of alcohol control in the 1960s/70s.

Many states in the US do this.....government-owned outlets only:

• Alabama.
  • Idaho.
  • New Hampshire (sold tax-free, attracting many out-of-state customers)
  • North Carolina (stores are run by individual counties and cities)
  • Pennsylvania.
  • Utah.
  • Virginia.
  • Washington.
Edited by fish monger

37 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

that is the Norwegian price for a more than just simple bottle - and it is cheaper than Thailand

err..... no.

according to this page, beer costs 228 Thai baht per litre !!!!!!!  crazy!

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Norway

and wine... 520 baht , they say mid-range, and I would tend to say midrange could be a 7-8 years old Saint-Emilion, but who knoes what horrors they can sell for 520 baht...

but the price of beer is very telling.

Norwegian prices... no thanks !!

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It's rather interesting that so many people believed this was true. I think part of it is that it sounds like something a politician/ government minister might actually suggest.

There were a lot of posts deleted. These posts were stating what date it was and stating it was an April fools day joke. I saw about 6 post very early that were deleted.  The members have been manipulated.

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

So if a Thai or Farang travels within Thailand, they can not buy beer or liquor?

Another well thought out plan.

Who would want to drink alcohol on holiday anyway? LOL

So... what about tourists who don't register and have no quarterly report?
What about people like me with legit visas who do not stay in the country long enough to need a quarterly report?

I also have a feeling that this won't happen. If it does--there is always Philippines and even Indonesia isn't this strict. Duterte isn't executing drunks... so far. 

1 minute ago, manarak said:

err..... no.

and wine... 520 baht , they say mid-range, and I would tend to say midrange could be a 7-8 years old Saint-Emilion, but who knoes what horrors they can sell for 520 baht...

3 minutes ago, manarak said:

err..... no.

err.... yes.

Why not go straight to the source?

www.vinmonopolet.no

Click top left "VARER" (products)

Next "rodvin" ( red wine)

Next at right side  "relevans"

Next choose "pris, lavest forst" (price, lowest first)

The 75cl bottles start halfway page 2

Cheaper than Thailand - and what a choice!

15 minutes ago, manarak said:

err..... no.

7/11 sells Jacob's frigging Creek for 650 or around that. There isn't a place I have been to in the world that has higher wine prices than Thailand.  That is the only real wine they sell.

15 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

There were a lot of posts deleted. These posts were stating what date it was and stating it was an April fools day joke. I saw about 6 post very early that were deleted.  The members have been manipulated.

I had 3 posts deleted

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

err.... yes.

Why not go straight to the source?

www.vinmonopolet.no

Click top left "VARER" (products)

Next "rodvin" ( red wine)

Next at right side  "relevans"

Next choose "pris, lavest forst" (price, lowest first)

The 75cl bottles start halfway page 2

Cheaper than Thailand - and what a choice!

BEER.

I said the BEER PRICES are telling.

17 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I also do think these news about alcohol being restricted to government shops are an April fool's day joke.

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

7/11 sells Jacob's frigging Creek for 650 or around that. There isn't a place I have been to in the world that has higher wine prices than Thailand.  That is the only real wine they sell.

from the official website of vinmonopolet:

4 different types Jacobs Creek for 112 to 124 nok

7 minutes ago, manarak said:

I also do think these news about alcohol being restricted to government shops are an April fool's day joke.

No surely not? That's outrageous! Fancy playing with the emotions of TV posters regarding alcohol. Most will urgently need a drink after realizing they've been had.

40 minutes ago, bannork said:

No surely not? That's outrageous! Fancy playing with the emotions of TV posters regarding alcohol. Most will urgently need a drink after realizing they've been had.

Half  of us would need a drink regardless. When dealing with severe withdrawals and DT you have to wean people off slowly or it can be fatal. 

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

It spoils the fun if posters reveal the April 1 joke too soon, but a lot of people like to show how clever they are.

Rather than reveal the joke it would be better to add another layer to it, like some mebers did.

I particularly liked this post from alex8912 ...

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Nonsense this is true. The one they are building near Rachatewi in Bangkok is a drive through, no need to leave the car! 

Now ^ that ^ is a clever way of showing you got the joke, without being too obvious.

Best TV April 1 joke of all time (IMHO) was the one about the government proposal that Thai girls would not be allowed to marry foreigners over 50 years old. Months later some people were still talking about it as if it was true.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

It spoils the fun if posters reveal the April 1 joke too soon, but a lot of people like to show how clever they are.

Rather than reveal the joke it would be better to add another layer to it, like some mebers did.

Now ^ that ^ is a clever way of showing you got the joke, without being too obvious.

Best TV April 1 joke of all time (IMHO) was the one about the government proposal that Thai girls would not be allowed to marry foreigners over 50 years old. Months later some people were still talking about it as if it was true.

Yeah that was classic. Many people threatened to move to Cambodia over that lol

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

It's true in Cambodia that Cambodian girls cannot marry foreigners over 50 years old.

54 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

300% import tax to protect the local brewers, just wish the Australians would impose 300% import tax on rice from a certain country as that would be fair. That one is in my requests when we start trade agreements with this lot. I will pop round the local shop tonight and get a bottle of Jacobs for you as only 250- here, Red or White?

It just goes to show how easy it is to fool apparently intelligent people -- like many commenters above -- to believe "fake news".  

Check the date for the Thai Visa postings on state liquor stores and bans on water-throwing during Songkran (clue: note the lack of the usual link to a credible published source).

(Americans see this daily since the recent campaign and election.)