Facebook translation.

tgeezer

กำลังจะลบ friend ที่ไม่ มีการเคลื่อนไหวกัน ใครเคลื่อนไหวเฟสเรา กด like หน่อยนะคะ จะได้ไม่ลบ ขอบคุณ

Typical, now I can't find the post again on Facebook, it was a post of a friend of a friend.

What drew my attention to it was การเคลื่อนไหว which had been translated as 'movement' and เฟส as 'phase'.

It also translated จะได้ไม่ลบ as 'don't delete' I remember. I think that this is a good example of how the words chosen to translate depend on context without which machines often fail.

What it did get was กำลังจะ as 'about to' which I didn't know.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Here is something to translate for all of those facinated by my last post.

Context: Facebook post by a newly qualified airframes and engines mechanic. A picture of him with two others apparently working on an engine with the nacelle panels removed.
Caption: ถ่ายไว้ให้ไว้เป็นความทรงจำ ๆ

Yes it's common, Thais shorten things as much as possible. Think of ถ่าย as photograph (verb) and รูป as pic, so you don't need both. 

'Photographing it to keep as a memory' 

เก็บไว้ could be used for money as well, it's to save as Eric said, or keep / hold in reserve

เก็บ is used in 'gep dang' - when you ask a waitress to 'collect money'. So เก็บ is 'get', ไว้ is like 'hold in place', together เก็บไว้ becomes save

เฟส as 'phase' no it means facebook. It's 'face' spelt in thai letters, hence no translation. Again they shorten things as much as possible. No need to add the 'book' when it's clear from context, it's a Facebook status saying 'I'm about to delete inactive friends, those who are active click Like so that I won't delete you, thanks'

จะได้ไม่ลบ - literally 'so i will be able to not delete', in future tense

เคลื่อนไหว means to move / stir / get about, the negative form can mean motionless / stagnant / dead / still / inactive

In this context the closest English equivalent could be 'active', he only wants active friends who interact on Facebook (like his or her posts, comment, etc.) and is cutting the wheat from the chaff. English Facebook users call it a 'cull' when they mass delete facebook friends they rarely talk to, there'd be no way to translate that into Thai directly either, but it has similar meaning

If you can't find the post anymore you may have been unfriended :) 

I am posting Thai which is easy to understand which I hope may throw up some points for discussion.

I translate it as, Is there anyone who would like to have a hairy maid. The thought being, Does anyone fancy it?
I daresay that need = want to many people but I would argue that being hairy is not something which affects her performance as a maid.

Where you translated "phase" it more likely is face as in face book

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly, this topic refers to context and the difficulty of making a translation without it, 'phase' was the Google suggestion made without context.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

กำลังจะลบ friend ที่ไม่ มีการเคลื่อนไหวกัน ใครเคลื่อนไหวเฟสเรา กด like หน่อยนะคะ จะได้ไม่ลบ ขอบคุณ
Typical, now I can't find the post again on Facebook, it was a post of a friend of a friend.
What drew my attention to it was การเคลื่อนไหว which had been translated as 'movement' and เฟส as 'phase'.
It also translated จะได้ไม่ลบ as 'don't delete' I remember. I think that this is a good example of how the words chosen to translate depend on context without which machines often fail.

What it did get was กำลังจะ as 'about to' which I didn't know.

เฟส was an aside, being an English noun it is asking a lot of Google but เคลื่อนไหว is a different story.
The point is that when I read that I know that it means: "I am about to unfriend people who don't interact with me, hit like, if you don't want to be deleted. Thank you.
Now backtranslating I start out : เดี๋ยวจะ unfriend คนที่ไม่ now I am stuck if I don't know มีการเคลื่อนไหวกัน I would probably say เต็นรำคับผม .
Do people who, like Google, have thousands of equivalent words in their heads have the same problem?

Archived