How much time on passport required for retirement (OA) visa?

On the subject of padantry and semantics could I suggest brevity? Would it be too difficult to grasp if I called a visa a 'visa stamp' and an extension of stay based on your visa issued for retirement a 'retirement visa? This is consistent with Immigration issueing visas in-country, a technical impossibility if we believe that visas are only issued for use to enter the country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tgeezer said:

On the subject of padantry and semantics could I suggest brevity? Would it be too difficult to grasp if I called a visa a 'visa stamp' and an extension of stay based on your visa issued for retirement a 'retirement visa? This is consistent with Immigration issueing visas in-country, a technical impossibility if we believe that visas are only issued for use to enter the country.

And why make comment on those who choose to use the correct terms.

When discussing extensions of stay and visas on a thread that is providing insight, updates and advice, why not ensure that those terms are correct and precise?

I will never understand those who continually criticise the use of correct and precise terminology.

It is only your pedantic replies and use of semantics that confuse the issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

When discussing extensions of stay and visas on a thread that is providing insight, updates and advice, why not ensure that those terms are correct and precise?

I will never understand those who continually criticise the use of correct and precise terminology.

There is such a thing as common terminology, and rightly or wrongly, everyone I know calls it a "Retirement Visa", and you know exactly what they are talking about.

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

As there are three types of Retirement Visas already you would add a fourth which makes it really confusing to supply a correct answer.

Just for clarity, please name the 4 types of retirement visa. BTW, even the Thai Embassy calls it a Retirement Visa, and it's stamped as such in my passport.

Edited by giddyup

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Just for clarity, please name the 4 types of retirement visa. BTW, even the Thai Embassy calls it a Retirement Visa, and it's stamped as such in my passport.

Existing Visas issued for the purpose of retirement are:

Single entry Non Immi O

Multiple entry Non Immi O (UK)

Multiple entry Non Immi OA

The fourth would be the One year Extension based on Retirement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There is such a thing as common terminology, and rightly or wrongly, everyone I know calls it a "Retirement Visa", and you know exactly what they are talking about.

The Non Imm O single entry Visa is commonly referred to as a Retirement Visa.

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa is commonly referred to as a Retirement Visa.

The Non Imm O-A Visa is commonly referred to as a Retirement Visa.

Dependant on your Nationality and your personal circumstances any one of the above can be obtained for the purpose of your intention to retire in Thailand.

An extension of your permission to stay based on retirement (not an extension of the expiring Visa) is a permit and certainly not a Visa which allows entry to a Country.

So although in your mind you may believe others understand the term 'Retirement Visa', in many cases it produces a barrage of incorrect information and advice due to the fact another member holding perhaps a Non Imm O Visa believes he to has a 'Retirement Visa'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's a contradictory post.

You maintain an extension obtained from an Immigration office is commonly referred to as a 'Retirement Visa'.

Now your stating you obtained a retirement Visa from a Thai Embassy.

See the confusion, which term is correct....neither.

Please post a copy of this 'Retirement Visa' which I guarantee will be a Non Imm O Visa issued for the purpose of your intention to retire in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, dentonian said:

There's a contradictory post.

You maintain an extension obtained from an Immigration office is commonly referred to as a 'Retirement Visa'.

Now your stating you obtained a retirement Visa from a Thai Embassy.

See the confusion, which term is correct....neither.

Please post a copy of this 'Retirement Visa' which I guarantee will be a Non Imm O Visa issued for the purpose of your intention to retire in Thailand.

It still says in big bold print Retirement above the visa stamp, and I never said I obtained my visa from a Thai Embassy, I said that's what it's called on the Thai Embassy website. You can argue details until the cows come home, but it's commonly called a Retirement Visa by all and sundry.

P1050415.JPG

Edited by giddyup

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It still says in big bold print Retirement above the visa stamp, and I never said I obtained my visa from a Thai Embassy, I said that's what it's called on the Thai Embassy website. You can argue details until the cows come home, but it's commonly called a Retirement Visa by all and sundry.

P1050415.JPG

That is not a Visa. It is a permit.

That is an extension of your permission  to stay in Thailand.

It clearly states 'Extension of Stay permitted until ...........

These extensions are issued on the basis of Marriage or Retirement.

The purpose for which they are issued is clearly identified using a separate stamp as either 'Marriage' or 'Retirement'.

A Non Imm O ME Visa (also commonly referred to as a Retirement Visa by some) will allow multiple entries to Thailand during it's validity. An extension of stay does not allow any entries to Thailand without the separate purchase of a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I see an extension of stay stamp. I see nothing that's says visa.

I have a Retirement Visa, whether it says so on the actual visa stamp is irrelevant to me, and the thousands of others who also call it a Retirement Visa. When I say I'm going to renew my Retirement Visa in July,  I don't see a look of bewilderment on anyone's face, who asks "what is that"?

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have a Retirement Visa, whether it says so on the actual visa stamp is irrelevant to me, and the thousands of others who also call it a Retirement Visa. When I say I'm going to renew my Retirement Visa in July,  I don't see a look of bewilderment on anyone's face, who asks "what is that"?

So you are one of those people that call every stamp in their passport a visa. Meaning you consider a entry or departure stamp a visa also.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well if you insist on using incorrect terminology, then don't be surprised if you obtain incorrect advise.

Just looking at the first few posts of this topic proves the point.

Unfortunately Mystic Meg with her Crystal Ball isn't a member and the frequently wrongly used term 'Retirement Visa' quite often leaves UJ and others like myself guessing at what you actually hold in your passport, and how to advise correctly.

It sometimes takes a few posts to establish the facts.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

So you are one of those people that call every stamp in their passport a visa. Meaning you consider a entry or departure stamp a visa also.

No, I'm just one of the many thousands who call the visa I have a Retirement Visa.

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

Well if you insist on using incorrect terminology, then don't be surprised if you obtain incorrect advise.

Just looking at the first few posts of this topic proves the point.

Unfortunately Mystic Meg with her Crystal Ball isn't a member and the frequently wrongly used term 'Retirement Visa' quite often leaves UJ and others like myself guessing at what you actually hold in your passport, and how to advise correctly.

It sometimes takes a few posts to establish the facts.

Next time (if there is a next time) I'll include a photo of the actual visa stamp to avoid all confusion.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, I'm just one of the many thousands who call the visa I have a Retirement Visa.

You don't have a Visa, can't you understand that!

A Visa is obtained from an Embassy or Consulate and allows entry into a Country either single or multiple times.

It has an 'enter before' date at which time it expires.

How long you can remain in a Country is determined by the Immigration laws of that Country, not the Visa.

Your Visa long since expired and you are now extending your permission to stay at a local internal Immigration office, who issues permits to that effect, not Visas.

That's a succinct as I can be.

Anyway I'm off to talk to the brick wall or watch paint dry.

Edited by dentonian

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Next time (if there is a next time) I'll include a photo of the actual visa stamp to avoid all confusion.

You haven't posted a photo of a "Visa stamp" so far in this Thread.

Please don't take your ball and go home - it's OK to admit you were mistaken.

6 minutes ago, dentonian said:

You don't have a Visa, can't you understand that!

A Visa is obtained from an Embassy or Consulate and allows entry into a Country either single or multiple times.

It has an 'enter before' date at which time it expires.

How long you can remain in a Country is determined by the Immigration laws of that Country, not the Visa.

Your Visa long since expired and you are now extending your permission to stay at a local internal Immigration office, who issues permits to that effect, not Visas.

P1050416.JPG

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Though I agree with the statement that the visa has expired and that the stamp is an extension of stay, it is still a fact that in most cases the extension of stays issued are extending the stay based on that original visa, for example, each and every time a passport is renewed in these cases, then there will always be a stamped entry in the new passport that refers back to the original visa.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

You haven't posted a photo of a "Visa stamp" so far in this Thread.

Please don't take your ball and go home - it's OK to admit you were mistaken.

Yes, I have. It's also OK for you to take a FF at a rolling donut.

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Though I agree with the statement that the visa has expired and that the stamp is an extension of stay, it is still a fact that in most cases the extension of stays issued are extending the stay based on that original visa, for example, each and every time a passport is renewed in these cases, then there will always be a stamped entry in the new passport that refers back to the original visa.

Please don't confuse dentonian and Evilbaz with logic.

Not sure about logic, the point I am trying to make is that the extension of stay for one year (or two if BOI / IEAT related) is two-fold, one is it is based on a allowable reason to extend the stay and the second is it is extending a stay of a visa in most instances, very few Farangs residing in Thailand have a one (or two) year extension of stay that did not involve a visa originally, even if the reason for extending the stay may change over the years.

There are exceptions to this rule, just not in the context being debated in this thread.

40 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You have to show this to prove you entered the Kingdom with a legal Visa.

Saying " my friends are not bewildered " when denying the correct terminology is not "logic".

Giddyup has shown he knows he's wrong when he starts "playing the man :"

• Like 1

I am not wishing to get in to any arguments at all about the terminology etc. as totally agree it should be correct when asking a question on TV.

I was just pointing out the basics, which is in general terms an extension of stay is the permission to extend the stay of a visa and continues to be such, whether that visa has expired or not.

I comment because I think that it would help the unitiiated and relieve the initiated of constant correction.
The length to which members of successive Immigration Commisions have had to go to in order to comply with the law and at the same time accomodate the countries overriding need for foreigners to stay has produced a confusing set of visas.
These visas are simply stamps which attest that at the time of checking, at an embassy, at a port of entry, at an Immigration office the holder of the passport was qualified to travel to, enter, and stay in the country.
Thus, 'Visa' means that the holder is qualified in some way to be in country or to visit the country or to leave and return depending on the type of visa.
The OP in this case decided to call it a Retirement Visa (OA) extension the OA was the only confusion it needn't be mentioned in the same breath as retirement, although the criteria seem to be the same! He then asked if he would be given a one year visa, that works.
The only way to see if this terminology would always work is to try it; In this topic the OP is staying in country on a Retirement visa extension, and he wants the visa extension renewed. Often the problem is not one of terminology anyway but I feel that this terminology at least removes some ambiguity.

40 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

You have to show this to prove you entered the Kingdom with a legal Visa.

Saying " my friends are not bewildered " when denying the correct terminology is not "logic".

Giddyup has shown he knows he's wrong when he starts "playing the man :"

I don't have to play at being a man, I also don't have to try and score points. I am not wrong when I stated that the extension is commonly known as renewing your Retirement Visa by the majority of retirees.. Not going to belabour that point any longer. I have had my question answered I'll leave the nitpicking for those who have too much time on their hands.