Cheers Shogun Orange

Thunder26

Today I've stumbled upon the new entry of Cheers "Shogun Orange Lager" and what a surprise! 

I've been already overwhelmed with Cheers Riceberry, but this comes with a greater response.

The only disappointment is with the ABV, which is 4.5%!    I wish it was 5% ABV -:)

Now let's talk about the beer. It pours well with a nice head. The aroma and the taste are sweet with strong orange elements, which is expected from its label. The ending gives you a feel of bitterness that comes from the skin of oranges.

The verdict! It is an excellent beer entry to Thai market. It costs 50 Baht in 7/11. It has a unique taste to Thai lagers so far. I'm personally glad that Cheers tries to improve and give diversity to a very boring beer market in Thailand.   

58e1192d10b14_IMG_20170402_200547_BURST001_COVER1.thumb.jpg.17b2e871fc53d7d80e1cb9b6e675809b.jpg

I tried a couple of cans yesterday. I was really expecting to dislike it as I'm not a fan of fruit flavoured beers, but it was not bad at all. The orange taste is subtle and leaves no aftertaste. I don't think I'll be a regular consumer but I like the idea of having a few extra choices in the cheaper range of beers here.

I also tried the new 'U' beer, also @ 50B for a 490cl can. Very reminiscent of Singha lager, but a bit less hoppy. I liked it more than Singha.

Edited by chickenslegs
typo

I stopped by my local 7/11 in Bangkok today on the way home, and found a can of the Cheers orange beer on the shelf for 50 baht, right next to a can of the U beer, whatever that is.

Drinking the Cheers orange now. As Chicken says above, subtle orange taste, no aftertaste, overall a mild, slightly sweet beer. I would have preferred something with a bit more tang to it. Not bad to taste or drink, but I doubt I'll be a regular customer/consumer of it.

Much prefer the Beer Lao lager or dark bottles that also are often on 7/11s shelves these days.

I was surprised that I didn't hate it.  For me, it's drinkable in the way a cheap commercial cookie is eatable. 

Maybe someday a Thai brewery will try making something other than a pale lager, but at least Cheers is doing something different.  Slightly different.  

Edited by ricklev

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

I was surprised that I didn't hate it.  For me, it's drinkable in the way a cheap commercial cookie is eatable. 

Maybe someday a Thai brewery will try making something other than a pale lager, but at least Cheers is doing something different.  Slightly different.  

Agreed. They are trying to be different with this and the riceberry.