Problems with transit through China

On Sunday, my wife (Thai Citizen) and I (USA Citizen) are flying from  Phuket to NYC via China, with 2 connections in China (it was the cheapest flight option by far).  We have no plans on leaving the airports or entering China, and our transit period will be under 24 hours.  I was under the assumption this would mean no problems should be expected, my wife's visa is in order and all is above board.

However, my wife told me a friend of hers recently flew to Ohio from Bangkok via China with her US Husband and had a HUGE problem in China.  Of course she cannot remember what Chinese city they connected in, etc, the friend is a moron in my opinion.  Anyway, her American husband had a huge problem with the transit and ended up actually having to buy  new ticket on credit after being delayed by whatever problem there was with him transitting China.  I wish I could give more info, like the duration of his layover, but his wife is an idiot and stares blankly when I ask if it was >24hrs or what city it was (Jiin. Jiin.  Me Pan Ha Nai Prathet Jin.).

Has anyone been hassled or delayed with a layoever in China between Thailand and USA?  Here is our detail:

Flight Details Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 4:00 AM  
  China Eastern Airlines Flight Number: MU0574
  To: Chengdu (CTU-Shuangliu Intl.) Arrive: 8:20 AM
  Equipment: Airbus A320 Jet Seats: 

Chengdu to Shanghai
Flight Details Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 1:30 PM  
  China Eastern Airlines Flight Number: MU0293
  To: Shanghai (PVG-Pudong Intl.) Arrive: 4:05 PM
  Equipment: Airbus A320 Jet Seats: 

Shanghai to New York
Flight Details Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 7:10 PM  
  China Eastern Airlines Flight Number: MU0297
  To: New York, NY (JFK-John F. Kennedy Intl.) Arrive: 10:15 PM
  Equipment: Boeing 777 Jet Seats:

You seem to have a domestic flight within China - this may be an issue as you are not on a normal connecting international flight out of the country.  But I have not traveled in many years so others will have to provide better information.

17 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

Yes I will in Transit under 24 hrs in China so I should be ok, however hearing about my wifes friends man getting jammed up has me anxious.

According to TravelChinaguide you should be OK (if their information is current);

1 24-Hour Direct Transit
Under the 24-hour visa-free transit rule, no visa is required for international flight, ship, or train passengers who transit directly through mainland China and will stay for less than 24 hours. This policy is applicable to almost all nationalities. Passengers should hold tickets to a third country or region and have a confirmed seat.

In case that they want to leave the port for city sightseeing or transfer to another port during the 24 hours, they can apply for a Temporary Stay Permit upon arrival. Those who transfer in more than one city of China within 24 hours can also enjoy this policy. For instance, if one’s trip is Los Angeles – Beijing – Shanghai – Bangkok and the total time in China is less than 24 hours, the passenger can still enjoy the 24-hour direct transit.

Edited by Upnotover
typo

The Chinese TWOV rules do contain some very well hidden traps -- e.g., Americans and Canadians cannot do a multi-stop transit that includes Wuhan or Weihai -- but they don't seem to affect you. (There are also some cities, like Shenzhen, where TWOV is generally not yet available for anyone.)

You say your wife has a visa. Do you mean a Chinese visa? There is a question whether Thais (and Malaysians) need a visa for transitting China.

No one has Chinese visas, wife has a USA 10 year multi entry B1/B2 Class Visa for the USA, and I have a Thai 1 year extension of stay based on marriage extended from my "O" Visa.  I am under the impression we have 24 hrs transit allowance time in China while in Chengdu and Shanghai on our connection.  The double connection sucks, but I cannot complain much for $710 per person roundtrip HKT-NYC ticketsk

Edited by PhuketAmerican
Clarity and grammer

Someone I know just flew from the Netherlands to Cambodia via China.

Connecting flight failed to arrive and she had to spend a night in China unexpectedly, finally arrived a good 24 hours late.

We're not permitted to post links to other travel forums here, so I'll just point you to Google and mention that some concern has been raised elsewhere as to whether or not changes last year now prohibit Thais and Malaysians from transiting China without a visa. There seem to be different views on the issue, and I certainly don't know the answer.

As noted by Taxout there are exceptions for US/CDN - Tripadvisor has below limitation for American or Canadian passport holders - so that might have be the other persons issue:

Passengers travelling on United States and Canadian passports are not permitted to use the multiple-stop transit exemption within China if transiting through Tianjin, Weihai, Wuhan, Xi'An or Zhengzhou.
The 24-hour transit exemption is not available if transiting through Fuzhou or Yanji. 
Transit in Urumqi is limited to 2 hours.