Why has my clock suddenly started showing a 1 hour time difference.

rak sa_ngop

Running Windows 10.  I have just noticed that my computer clock is 1 hour later than it should be for Thailand time.

I am set to Bangkok time UTC +7 and set to automatically synchronise with time.windows.

It was showing the correct time a few days ago.

This is driving me crazy.

Thanks 

44 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sunday March 26th, UK clocks changed for daylight savings time. Untick the box in settings that says to adjust automatically for Daylight Savings Time.

Also, australian time changed last sunday.

Go to the time settings for the internet synchronization.

When I select "time.windows.com" and try to "update now" I get an error message (timeout).

Try "time.nist.gov" (works for me).

For me W10 does not allow any daylight savings setting for Bangkok (which makes sense).

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Also, australian time changed last sunday.

All that should not affect a W10 correctly setup for Bangkok timezone.

Nothing should change over the year (UTC+7 remains UTC+7).

To the OP : make sure you have no "competing" tools/gadgets installed that fiddle with the system time.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

All that should not affect a W10 correctly setup for Bangkok timezone.

Nothing should change over the year (UTC+7 remains UTC+7).

Maybe check Region/location in control Panel, if thats set for another country sometimes it thinks it still lives there.

If all of the above does not help, then things get interesting.

Tons of possible cause described in the net.

Question to the OP : do you restart your computer regularly or just standby/hibernate?

When restarting: can you go the BIOS and check what time is shown?

I cant recall the exact details but I have come across this before and it comes down to the computer thinks its home is in another country, and that overrides the time zone settings, OR if the computer is part of a domain etc, it gets its time from the server and that time overrides the time zone settings.

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If all of the above does not help, then things get interesting.

Tons of possible cause described in the net.

Question to the OP : do you restart your computer regularly or just standby/hibernate?

When restarting: can you go the BIOS and check what time is shown?

I usually just standby/hibernate, but I did try shutdown/restart but the same incorrect time came back.

I have now changed to "time.nist.gov"  and updated to get the correct time.

With my old computer incorrect time/date (usually totally wrong) was caused by the internal BIOS ? battery starting to die (after about 6 years). Maybe this is the first sign of a dying battery?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was also getting the same 1 hr problem - only way around was to 'manually' turn the clock back an hour - yes crazy but true

That was all I did with mine. I know it's supposed to be automatic, but hey, I was never going to spend hours trying to get to the bottom of why the time was incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you manually turned back the clock an hour to fix the issue, I'd keep an eye on the clock because whatever caused the 1-hour change before might re-occur.  e.g.  If some setting makes the computer thinks you're in another country, the next time it (randomly?) checks with a time server it will change the time again.

(I said "randomly" because I'm not sure if Windows verifies the time/date on a regular basis, or if it's only triggered by some other event.)