Is there a limit of times in a year for 30 days tourist visa entering by air?

Dear Thai Visa group,

I am Spanish and currently in Koh Samui on a 30 days tourist visa obtained at the airport, which will expire on 15th April.

I have to travel on 14th April out the country by plane, coming back on the 17th of April, and then on the 24th of April out again and back in on the 28th of April. Then probably would stay until 15th June which could use the 30 days tourist visa obtained at the airport plus an extension at the immigration office of koh Samui, am I correct?

Would like to ask if there is a limit of number of times in a year you can obtain 30 days tourist visa coming in by plane?

Thank you in advance.

Peter

6 hours ago, Peter Samui said:

Would like to ask if there is a limit of number of times in a year you can obtain 30 days tourist visa coming in by plane?

You are entering under the tourist visa exempt scheme (no visa needed).

There is no limit on the number of entries, but Immigration Officers have the power to deny entry if they feel you're overusing the scheme or suspect you're working. It's unlikely that anyone would be able to stay more than 180 days in a year using the scheme.

I don't think you'll have a problem with your itinerary. However, it's a good idea to have at least 10K baht cash, which is an entry requirement that's not usually enforced. And whenever possible have a booked flight out of the country and hotel bookings, as either can be asked for as evidence that you are a tourist.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You are entering under the tourist visa exempt scheme (no visa needed).

There is no limit on the number of entries, but Immigration Officers have the power to deny entry if they feel you're overusing the scheme or suspect you're working. It's unlikely that anyone would be able to stay more than 180 days in a year using the scheme.

I don't think you'll have a problem with your itinerary. However, it's a good idea to have at least 10K baht cash, which is an entry requirement that's not usually enforced. And whenever possible have a booked flight out of the country and hotel bookings, as either can be asked for as evidence that you are a tourist.

"hotel bookings"? Never heard of an IO asking for that?

"flight out of the country"? Never heard of an IO asking for that?

Can you show me in which regulation the IO has the power to deny you entry because of not being able to provide either of the above?

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. 0029.171/2076 Date: 24 June 2014
Subject: Guideline for inspection of citizen from certain countries that are not required to obtain a visa when entering the Kingdom of Thailand 

2. Reason to believe that entry into Kingdom is not for the purpose of tourism

2.1 Alien will be interviewed and requested to show evidence of the purpose of tourism

such as tickets, pocket money, booking slip, traveling plan.
2.2 The criterion as in 2.1 if deemed necessary to record as an evidence, the alien may be

required to fill out the form as attached in the annex hereto. 

Visa Exempt Entry Guidance.pdf

Very good, and thank you - but I see nothing in that paperwork that gives any legal basis for refusing entry? As opposed to the showing of funds, which I am sure you are aware is the normal reason for denying entry.

6 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Very good, and thank you - but I see nothing in that paperwork that gives any legal basis for refusing entry? As opposed to the showing of funds, which I am sure you are aware is the normal reason for denying entry.

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

3.2  Without valid reason compiled to lack of evidence required by the immigration officer,

the alien shall be refused to enter the Kingdom, pursuant to immigration law provision. 

Section 16 of the Immigration Act would do it.

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace , culture , morality , or welfare , or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom , the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom. 

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

• Like 2

There is no such thing as a 30 day tourist visa.

What you are on is a 30 day visa exempt entry that iis available to you as a EU country national.                                                        

See the post from ubonjoe  above for further info.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo

1 minute ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There is no such thing as a 30 day tourist visa.

What you are on is a 30 day visa exempt entry that iis available you as an EU resident.                                                                                                      

See the post from ubonjoe  above for further info.

• Some nationalities are only issued a Tourist Visa for 30 days.
  • Residence has nothing to do with it. Qualification for visa exempt entry is based on nationality.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, muzmurray said:

"hotel bookings"? Never heard of an IO asking for that?

"flight out of the country"? Never heard of an IO asking for that?

Can you show me in which regulation the IO has the power to deny you entry because of not being able to provide either of the above?

Off course they can and they do. Can deny you enter to TH without booking slip.

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Never fails to make me smile when I see "any legal basis for refusing entry" or what regs etc.

The guy in the uniform is the authority and regs, and if he decides for whatever reason you are not entering, then you wont be entering, period.

This is absolutely the case, and such regulations can be and sometimes are liberally interpreted by the IO or his/her superior at the PoE.

Most here will be too young to remember the hippy era of the late sixties/early seventies, when Thailand was ruled by a military government far more authoritarian than the present incumbents. Young Westerners deemed to be dressed inappropriately or have hair that was too long were regularly denied entry at the Southern borders in that era.

The golden rule in Thailand, as with other Asian countries, is be patient and be unfailingly polite, and never get up the noses of officialdom.

• Like 2

To the OP:

A caution not made by anyone else over the bickering of whether an immigration official can decide to deny you entry ...

Which airport you are flying into is an important consideration. Based on your itinerary, I would be amazed if you had any problem entering through Suvarnabhumi. However, Phuket and Samui airports have been known to make some strange and arbitrary decisions. If you have the option, clear immigration in Bangkok.

8 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

"However, it's a good idea to have at least 10K baht cash, which is an entry requirement "

I thought it was 20 000--

• 10K for visa exempt entry.
  • 20K for visa entry.