British workers encouraged to retire to Thailand after Brexit and snap up a £60k 20-year residency permit

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Britons encouraged to consider Thailand for retirement amid Brexit uncertainty

LONDON: -- Thailand is launching a fresh charm offensive to lure more pensioners to the Asian nation as Britons begin considering alternative retirement destinations outside of Europe in light of Brexit.

The president of Thailand Elite, a government-owned agency tasked with running the country's "exclusive" visa scheme, told the Press Association that Britain's divorce from the EU was a chance to strengthen ties between the two countries.

Pruet Boobphakam said: "I think that Brexit will give us an opportunity to even open more, or to introduce Thailand even on a broader scale ... you can live in Thailand for up to 20 years if you'd like to, therefore it would be a good opportunity for both countries, in terms of UK people and the Thai people."

Full story: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/britons-encouraged-to-consider-thailand-for-retirement-amid-brexit-uncertainty-35599568.html

-- Belfast Telegraph 2017-04-07

This is a ridiculous idea and not thought through Why would someone want to use Thai Elite if they are retiring  You dont need it If you are 55 or older you get a retiriment visa for under 10,000 baht About 300 USD You dont need Thai elite 

This guy Boobprakam does not know what he is talking about  You can live in Thailand indefinitely retired without Thai Elite  The Elite program was designed for people under 55 for an alternative to a  a long term visa since they may not qualify for another type Not retirement

I dont understand this guys thinking  People do not normally retire under that age of 55 in the west Someone please check his cigarettes 

Edited by realenglish1

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.

Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

I just renewed my retirement extension in the immigration office, got myself a re-entry permit, spend around half an hour there and paid 2900 baht.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have the pickup truck and 2 motorbikes registered in my name, but of course that is impossible according to some people here.

And this somehow compensates for the constant flux of any foreigners immigration status here?

1 hour ago, sungod said:

20,000 grand, what does yours look like?????

Thais don't pay anything, or even get paid, and have the best looking skinny firm assed girls.  I mean..........paying for a 'wife', what a sorry state of affairs.

9 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Better to retire on the Cayman Islands. 

No so many idiots and corruption, good food, no monkeys driving..

Residence way easier and cheaper than Thailand and it's not a 3rd world country. 

Only problem is that you have to take cover once a while for an hurricane.

Go on, tell them about the gogo bars and happy ending massages as well.

And they (Thailand) Have Blocked the link to the article ????

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-4386222/Thailand-official-says-Brexit-offers.html

เว็บไซต์นี้มีเนื้อหาและข้อมูลที่ไม่เหมาะสม
ถูกระงับโดยกระทรวงดิจิทัลเพื่อเศรษฐกิจและสังคม

Yes but don't you dare to play Bridge ..

Oh and make sure your new hip is connected well before walking on the sidewalks.

Also make sure your eyes are very good so you can see the motocy driving against traffic coming.

And wear good sneakers so you can run away from soidogs or a cane with a hidden gun inside.

Also wear a helmet for lowhanging roofs with dangerous pins sticking out.

Learn Thai before you come, so you can speak to the taxidrivers/police.

Yes and don't forget to where a crash helmet when walking along jomiten beach. Just In case a branch from a tree lands on your head.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

60k quid? As in 60,000.- GBP?

Now, that's a bargain there, no doubt ... people will just 'flock' over here ... :cheesy: 

Yep £250 or 10000THB a month up front. And if you drop down dead after 5 years, It works out 4 times the price wow.

What are the options of retirement in Burma, both practical and financial?

I'll keep this on-topic by stating that I have the 5-year Elite visa (since 3 years ago), but I work most of the time in Myanmar (Burma).  The Elite visa suits me fine for not having to deal with snotty immigration officers :)

As for retiring in Myanmar, (ie not working or married to a Myanmar person), there is no visa to support that option right now.  If such a visa is introduced, I suspect many expats in Thailand will come to live in Myanmar (either in Yangon or Mandalay).

31 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Better to retire on the Cayman Islands. 

No so many idiots and corruption, good food, no monkeys driving..

Residence way easier and cheaper than Thailand and it's not a 3rd world country. 

Only problem is that you have to take cover once a while for an hurricane.

FredNL

could you pm me please with more info on this?

thanks

On the contrary, where a fully subscribed and paid up UK state pension may provide only a subsistence in the UK, it is more than enough to retire on in Thailand. The debatable point is whether Thailand is a good choice as a retirement venue.

How much is UK state pension?

8 hours ago, maewang99 said:

everyday something more nutty.... the linked article says....

"with Thailand you [British] pay 15,000 US dollars (£12,033) and you can stay there for five years"

but I will only pay about 260 US dollars (1900 Thai Baht a year, I think it is).... for 5 years..... why Brits have to pay so much?

I was also (still am) trying to find out how a Brit might lose a state pension by being here.... that sure doesn't happen with USA's Soc Sec program.... what's the idea there too? is that why they say it's a ****state**** pension... it ain't your pension... it's a state pension? say what??? in the UK???

You won't loose your UK pension at all, it is just frozen at the rate it was when you started to live in Thailand....

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sort your currency out first Thailand and then start inviting people over. Still have to continually report address?

"Still have to continually report address", and yet so many Thaivisa members are so deluded they think we are "guests" here.:cheesy:

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.

Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

Indeed they do, and after the 5,10, 20 years are up they get nothing back in return. No wonder the Thai government have us expats jumping through so many hoops just to stay here.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

As a long term retiree living in Thailand, I receive no concessions whatsoever. Being a Brit and living outside the UK I no longer quality for medical under the UK National Health service unless I move back to the UK and become resident again, I do not quality to receive anything as a foreign national under any Thai government schemes. My UK State pension will be frozen for the remainder of my time spent in Thailand, although I`ve paid into it all my working life and have not officially immigrated to Thailand, I am still a British citizen. Due to my age, most medical health insurance companies won`t take me on and the few that will, expect me to pay ridiculous premium fees each month that could be cancelled as they feel fit to do so. I cannot own my own land and property or work here under reasonable conditions and still expected to pay more than the Thais where duel pricing is imposed. In fact I am living in limbo land, entitled to nothing neither here nor there and required to be totally self sufficient as a non-citizen.

On one hand Thailand want`s to encourage people like me to retire here and on the other hand they are offering me nothing, in a country where the rules could be changed on a whim and I could be expelled at the stroke of a pen.

It is not a give and take relationship between Thailand and the retirees and I cannot see any advantages to this long term residency permit. It is my choice to stay here and not complaining, I am merely stating the facts that everyone should be aware of before diving in to any long term commitments.

Good post and yet there are still many that think we are "guests" here.:cheesy:

Assume 200,000 retirees ( in total , from all countries), each spending 30,000 USD on goods and services ( rent, food, health, untilities, entertainment, telecom, travel, clothes, discretionary items) :::: that would make it a 220 Billion Baht sector ( not to be sneezed at....).

This is a ridiculous idea and not thought through Why would someone want to use Thai Elite if they are retiring  You dont need it If you are 55 or older you get a retiriment visa for under 10,000 baht About 300 USD You dont need Thai elite 
This guy Boobprakam does not know what he is talking about  You can live in Thailand indefinitely retired without Thai Elite  The Elite program was designed for people under 55 for an alternative to a  a long term visa since they may not qualify for another type Not retirement
I dont understand this guys thinking  People do not normally retire under that age of 55 in the west Someone please check his cigarettes 

It's 50 not 55 for a retirement visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

On the contrary, where a fully subscribed and paid up UK state pension may provide only a subsistence in the UK, it is more than enough to retire on in Thailand. The debatable point is whether Thailand is a good choice as a retirement venue.

how high is the minimum pension in gb ...

4 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Are you serious?  You think just because it's posted here at TV, or any online forum, it's gotta be true?!  OMG!

Thanks, but I'll wait until I meet someone who actually has one before making up my mind.

Cheers!

No need for that when Thaivisa has someone as knowledgeable as Ubon Joe.

9 hours ago, maewang99 said:

"with Thailand you [British] pay 15,000 US dollars (£12,033) and you can stay there for five years"

but I will only pay about 260 US dollars (1900 Thai Baht a year, I think it is).... for 5 years..... why Brits have to pay so much?

I was also (still am) trying to find out how a Brit might lose a state pension by being here.... that sure doesn't happen with USA's Soc Sec program.... what's the idea there too? is that why they say it's a ****state**** pension... it ain't your pension... it's a state pension? say what??? in the UK???

All Brits living overseas have their pensions frozen and do not have the cost of living increases applied to them. However, we still pay UK taxes on our pensions. This is off course a gross injustice. Typical British legal scamming.

Thainess?..."Show me the money and give it to me"...

"You can never own land and we will overprice you  upto 10-fold for visiting our national parks"

"You will never be a permanent resident"

"You have to report every 90 days in order to give useless jobs to useless people ( every detail was already registered by computer upon arrival or departure)."

"You can't have a decent health insurance and you will pay up to 100.000.- THB to stay overnight in our (Bangkok-) Hospitals"

" If you pay an incredible amount we will sell you a health insurance but limited in time...when you get older we just drop you".

" You don't have to speak or learn our language because we don't like you to understand that we constantly try to rip you off"

Welcome in the Amazing LOS...:smile:

11 minutes ago, ianf said:

All Brits living overseas have their pensions frozen and do not have the cost of living increases applied to them. However, we still pay UK taxes on our pensions. This is off course a gross injustice. Typical British legal scamming.

Terrible , same as Australia. But couldn't that have been challenged in Brussels?

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

As a long term retiree living in Thailand, I receive no concessions whatsoever. Being a Brit and living outside the UK I no longer quality for medical under the UK National Health service unless I move back to the UK and become resident again, I do not quality to receive anything as a foreign national under any Thai government schemes. My UK State pension will be frozen for the remainder of my time spent in Thailand, although I`ve paid into it all my working life and have not officially immigrated to Thailand, I am still a British citizen. Due to my age, most medical health insurance companies won`t take me on and the few that will, expect me to pay ridiculous premium fees each month that could be cancelled as they feel fit to do so. I cannot own my own land and property or work here under reasonable conditions and still expected to pay more than the Thais where duel pricing is imposed. In fact I am living in limbo land, entitled to nothing neither here nor there and required to be totally self sufficient as a non-citizen.

On one hand Thailand want`s to encourage people like me to retire here and on the other hand they are offering me nothing, in a country where the rules could be changed on a whim and I could be expelled at the stroke of a pen.

It is not a give and take relationship between Thailand and the retirees and I cannot see any advantages to this long term residency permit. It is my choice to stay here and not complaining, I am merely stating the facts that everyone should be aware of before diving in to any long term commitments.

ah but here you are a handsome man

10 hours ago, maewang99 said:

1900 baht is for a retirement Visa irrespective of nationality, anyone can apply providing over 50 YO and having 800,000 deposited in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to applying . As regards UK state pensions anyone leaving the UK taking up residency in most countries outside the EU will have their state pension frozen not stopped, never receive any anual increases.  Also loose their right to free national health entitlement after being non resident for over 6 months which they have probably paid in to for all their working lives. After accepting all this most then think they are free from the UKs onerous tax regime, not so, they can still be subject to inheritance tax (Death Duty) at 40% above a tax free limit on worldwide assets if Her Majesties Tax collectors decide  you have not given up your domicile of birth on your demise and you wont be around to argue the case.

Edited by garzhe