Trump unleashes military strikes against Assad airbase in Syria

webfact

8 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

ANYBODY Is a better leader than Obama!!

This action Is all that Assad understands.  Diplomacy gets nowhere with the likes of him.

It is like some of you have been walking around in a coma and have no idea of your own history. Obama wanted to move into Syria BUT decided it was a decision for Congress. Congress under the Republicans said no, why even Trump made many tweets saying no way that Obama should bomb Syria. It is kind of like dealing with gold fish with a 10 second memory.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

At last....a leader with BALLS!!!

Most certainly! Hurrah! takes a man with "BALLS" to get four student deferments so he can dodge the draft! Having a few family dollars may also have helped -

4 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

let the games begin . :partytime2:

Unfortunately war is NOT a game and it will be no party, least of all for innocent civilians, who as usual, will be slaughtered, maimed, made homeless by the mindless stupidity of politicians once again.

Politicians as usual start wars but are usually nowhere near the frontlines where they or their families will get hurt. Politicians usually cannot stop wars which is done in flesh and blood of men and women.

If you think that this is a case for a party then I suggest that you go to Syria and volunteer for frontline service and when it is all over then have your party.

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Well I hope the Donald is committed to this now as by wiping out Assad's Airforce ISIS will now be holding parties across the Middle East. I do not believe Assad used chemical weapons, he had zero to gain. Others had plenty to gain.

I expect Putin may shortly release video's of the Donald being pissed on by hookers in a Moscow Hotel.

Of course he is not committed, he was again shooting from the hip. 2 days ago Assad could stay, now his bases are being bombed.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The Americans would seem to have some information on where the planes took off from, that launched the chemical strike.

50 Missiles is a lot, so I guess the idea was to render the place completely unusable again.

My guess is America has been gathering intelligence on this air base for a long time now, a blue print for this attack was pulled out of a filling cabinet and dusted down on Wednesday.

I further predict the rhetoric of Russia and America is somewhat different from what is said in private and Russia may have agreed to this attack being able to conveniently move hardware and personnel out of harms way, Russia was certainly forewarned, when I do not know but I wonder when the Russians told Assad?

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

this link proves what?  we know it was sarin - who supplied it? why would Assad do it?   OPEN your mind

I'll further note that your reply came exactly one minute after I posted a link to a 1,344 word article.  That means either that you read at a speed of 23 words per second or that you're not even willing to look at what is being put right in front of you.

Now who has the closed mind?

As for who supplied it and Assad's motivations, that's not what we're discussing.  All evidence points to this being a government-led attack.

Edited by attrayant

A narcissist and a sociopath meet surreptitiously:

Sociopath: I'll help get you elected & cover your financial ties
Narcissist: Sounds terrific, I'm IN!

Sociopath: Too much press now about our 'relationship' but I have a plan

Sociopath: We'll setup the 'wet-work' then you strike back and get to look like a strong leader with a heart

Sociopath: Done and now no one is talking about us being BFF's anymore and we can get back to the real game plan

Sociopath thinking to self: (child's play, what a idiot, ah well, it's all working out, onto the Balkans etc)
Narcissist thinking to self: (I'm going to be remembered as the BIGLIEST, it's all working out, now onto N Korea etc)

Bigliest WHAT is the question....

Edited by sujoop

55 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Assad started this mess. Syria will be better off without him. The opposition won't allow him to start. 

some Syria facts:

so what 'mess' did Assad start?

• Syrian women have the same rights as men to study, health and education.
• Syria women are not forced to wear the burqa. Sharia (Islamic law) is unconstitutional.
• Syria – only Arab country with a secular constitution – does not tolerate Islamic extremist movements.
• Roughly 10% of the Syrian population belongs to one of the many Christian denominations, all fully integrated in     Syrian political and social life.
• Syria has banned genetically modified (GMO) seeds, stating his decision was made in order “to preserve human health,”
• Syria has an opening to Western society and culture like no other Arab country.
• Its media and universities openly debate the global power elite’s influence in things. This means that they fully grasp the fact that real power in the West lies not in the White House but rather with the complex and powerful grid of elite think-tanks and central banks.
• Throughout history there have been five popes of Syrian origin. Religious tolerance is unique in the area.
• Prior to the current civil war, Syria was one of the only peaceful countries in the area, having avoided major wars or internal conflicts.
• Syria was the only country that admitted Iraqi refugees without any social, political or religious discrimination.
• Syria clearly and unequivocally opposes Zionism and the Israel government.
• Following a massive oil find in Syria’s Golan Heights, occupied by Israel since 1967, Netanyahu recently asked Obama to recognize its annexation of the territory. To consolidate its hold, plans are afoot to quadruple Israeli settler numbers to 100,000.
• Syria is one of the only countries in the Middle East without debts to the International Monetary Fund (Pre-invasion Libya & Iran the only others.)
• Syria is the only Mediterranean country which remains the owner of its oil company, with an oil reserve of 2,500 million barrels, the operation of which has avoided privatization and is reserved exclusively for state-owned enterprises.

26 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Mark Slatem @trentster

Why would Assad choose to gas his own people at the very time he is getting support from the West to stabilise his country?- Think Einstein.

I think this question is a huge red herring.
He's not actually been getting support from the West. The 'support' has been to get off his back and leave him to deal things his own way with backing from the Russians and Iranians. 

Why gas 'his own people' (in a place continuing to hold out against him)? That's one of the ways he's been 'stabilizing' his country.

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I think this question is a huge red herring.
He's not actually been getting support from the West. The 'support' has been to get off his back and leave him to deal things his own way with backing from the Russians and Iranians. 

Why gas 'his own people' (in a place continuing to hold out against him)? That's one of the ways he's been 'stabilizing' his country.

no sense in your analysis as he's been pushing ISIS to brink of extinction and was about to start fresh peace talks - think about it?

17 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

some Syria facts:

• Syria women are not forced to wear the burqa. Sharia (Islamic law) is unconstitutional.
• Syria – only Arab country with a secular constitution – does not tolerate Islamic extremist movements.
• Roughly 10% of the Syrian population belongs to one of the many Christian denominations, all fully integrated in     Syrian political and social life.
• Syria has banned genetically modified (GMO) seeds, stating his decision was made in order “to preserve human health,”
• Syria has an opening to Western society and culture like no other Arab country.
• Its media and universities openly debate the global power elite’s influence in things. This means that they fully grasp the fact that real power in the West lies not in the White House but rather with the complex and powerful grid of elite think-tanks and central banks.
• Throughout history there have been five popes of Syrian origin. Religious tolerance is unique in the area.
• Prior to the current civil war, Syria was one of the only peaceful countries in the area, having avoided major wars or internal conflicts.
• Syria was the only country that admitted Iraqi refugees without any social, political or religious discrimination.
• Following a massive oil find in Syria’s Golan Heights, occupied by Israel since 1967, Netanyahu recently asked Obama to recognize its annexation of the territory. To consolidate its hold, plans are afoot to quadruple Israeli settler numbers to 100,000.
• Syria is one of the only countries in the Middle East without debts to the International Monetary Fund (Pre-invasion Libya & Iran the only others.)
• Syria is the only Mediterranean country which remains the owner of its oil company, with an oil reserve of 2,500 million barrels, the operation of which has avoided privatization and is reserved exclusively for state-owned enterprises.

Interesting.  If these "facts" are true, why do you think Assad's own people wanted him out?

24 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

some Syria facts:

Though I don't disagree that the removal of Assad will likely lead to even more sectarian violence and civil war in Syria, continuing in undoing two generations of progress in developing a "westernized" country in the middle east (a debatable goal in the first place). It is very unfortunate that Assad in attempting to stay in power turned to  tactics that go beyond norms in warfare, such as they are.

In most cases, a leader such as Assad, in face of such opposition, will often sacrifice himself (in comfortable exile) and allow a new face from his faction to negotiate a face savings solution.  Assad and his followers  (or more likely advisors) have forcefully rejected this path and have doggedly pursued ruthless war against his opposition.  

To me, this has more the cancelled any good he may have done for the country in the past. If he had resigned 7 years ago in face of what was then non violent protests, there is a very good chance the civil war would not have happened.  Instead, he started shooting the protesters. And here we are. Attempts to list all the good from Assad 8 or more years ago and saying these are reasons to keep him around  is disgenous. 

TH

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/world/middleeast/syria-bashar-al-assad-atrocities-civilian-deaths-gas-attack.html

Edited by thaihome

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The Americans would seem to have some information on where the planes took off from, that launched the chemical strike.

50 Missiles is a lot, so I guess the idea was to render the place completely unusable again.

50 missiles is not "a lot", considering number of targets, spread and redundancy. Such an attack would not necessarily render the place "completely unusable" even.

Edited by Morch

The white helmets are involved so this means it is ISIS propaganda, which make's sense seeing as Assad has nothing to gain and everything to lose by launching a chemical attack on his own people at this stage.

It's unbelievable in these times that people still believe propaganda peddled by the MSM and are siding with the bad guys.  In years to come this will be another "Saddam's WMD" for the US.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Interesting comment.  Russian soldiers were at these bases 48 hours ago.  If so, were they aware of the use of chemical weapons?  If so, all bets are off.  But it's been confirmed Russian soldiers were there.  The US was in touch with Russia regarding these soldiers.  Who were obviously evacuated.

It was reported that the Russians were alerted prior to the attack. No one is interested in an unnecessary escalation between the two superpowers. 

No idea if Russian military personnel on base were or weren't aware of chemical weapons and  usage, but expect a measure of plausible deniability involved, plus Syrian operation not being totally controlled by Russia as some may imagine.

Just now, KunMatt said:

The white helmets are involved so this means it is ISIS propaganda, which make's sense seeing as Assad has nothing to gain and everything to lose by launching a chemical attack on his own people at this stage.

It's unbelievable in these times that people still believe propaganda peddled by the MSM and are siding with the bad guys.  In years to come this will be another "Saddam's WMD" for the US.

There is a real logic to Assad to gas the rebels.  Punishing people for supporting your opponents is one way to make sure it's not a path many will follow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/world/middleeast/syria-bashar-al-assad-russia-sarin-attack.html

TH 

I think Trump has been watching too much House of cards.

You know at the end of season 3 when Frank Underwood is in big trouble in the polls, he launches missile attacks on targets with very limited evidence and say's "give the American people what them want/like.  WAR

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It's already worse than Iraq.  Talking heads on CNN are saying it's highly unlikely US troops will be deployed.  But all options are open now.

Too many innocents have been killed by Assad.  Time to stop the silliness.

US ground troops are already deployed in Syria, if in limited numbers. It does raise the question, though, of Syria taking overt/covert action against US troops in retaliation. I'd imagine the Russians would do their best to prevent this from happening.

I don't see any difference between Bush aggression in Iraq and Trump`s aggression in Syria.
In Iraq we first saw dogmatic conclusions in the US media resources that Iraq have Weapons of Mass destruction. These conclusions were made in press prior to any investigation. After that we saw Colin Powell demonstrating Washing powder in UN to demonstrate the "Weapons of Mass destruction" "found" in Iraq. After that US started the war. And finally US perform the investigation and find out that Iraq does not have Weapons of Mass destruction.
Today we see the same in Syria. Dogmatic conclusions in the US media resources prior to any investigation. US spokeswoman in UN demonstrating doubtful pictures. After that US start the war. And we all know what will be in the future - the investigation will be made. And the investigation will show us the same thing as in Iraq - that Syrian government does not have Weapons of Mass destruction.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Assad and Russia are responsible for the vast majority of casualties.  So it makes sense, getting rid of that will reduce casualties.  Hard for the rebels to kill so many without the advanced weaponry of Russia and what Russia is giving to Syria.

Removing Assad (and/or Russia's direct involvement and arms supplies) may indeed lead to a lower intensity conflict. On the other hand, the main argument for maintaining "state" players (like Assad's regime) is that further fragmentation will make resolution of conflict more complicated.

3 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

In 2013 it was reported the Syrian regime had no chemical weapons, whilst it is known some rebel factions are in possession 

Reported by....? Known how...?

There are multiple reports of chemical weapon attacks carried out on areas and targets held by various rebel factions. Many of them by air. A lot of them are post-2013.

36 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

no sense in your analysis as he's been pushing ISIS to brink of extinction and was about to start fresh peace talks - think about it?

This is nothing to do with ISIS though. It's not ISIS under attack here.

And I have been thinking about it (and noted how you keep suggesting anyone who doesn't agree with you is incapable of thinking for themselves). The "It can't be him" argument doesn't add up to anything anyway. Assad likely thinks peace talks are in the bag so it doesn't really matter what he does right now because it hasn't had any real consequences for him before. Crushing the opposition before getting into talks makes his own position that much stronger - it's not like that's never been done before.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

In 2013 also everybody thought Assad was using chemical weapons,but he didn't.Instead Al Nusra front and Turkish secret service did.Obama was smart enough not to bomb.Assad at that time.I guess this time it will be probably the same,but difference is,Trump is an idiot who is trying the get some plus points at home after all his failure in the past weeks.I very hope the Russians keep calm,if not that could be the beginning of the last worldwar

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

So I am calling Trump for what he is and suddenly that makes me 'siding with Putin'. It is a remark that not even a prepubescent schoolboy would make. Ignorant in the extreme. Suddenly now bombs have gone off you expect the "you are either with us or against us " mentality. So launching 59 cruise missiles is suddenly supposed to give absolution to Trump for his abominable behaviour so far? It makes me gag.

Yes how about you stick to 'presenting the facts', but before you do that you have to find them out. The facts are there was an air raid and that subsequently gas was dispersed. The gas was NOT Sarin, lets get that straight. The attack is completely inline with accounts that a rebel ammo dump was being attacked. It seems the ammo dump contained CHLORINE gas. The Mig 22 in the Syrian AirForce are not capable of delivering chemical weapons. 

So now you are believing Turkish Intelligence over others?? The intel on the attack is not from US or UK intel it is from Turkey, you know that country whose President is currently trying to instil anarchy in Europe and wants large swathes of Syria to suit his own purposes (that's the man whose son was transporting billions of dollars of Syrian Oil out of Syria).

The ineptitude of world leaders and the corresponding inability of some people on here to engage their brain in free, rational thinking has me worrying for the future of the human race.

Both the US and the UK would have independent intelligence regarding the attacks, and from multiple sources. There would not be an a counterattack launched solely on the strength of information provided by Turkey.

There are no MiG-22's. Syrian Su-22's, MiG-23's or Su-24's could have the capability to carry out such at attack. Even if this attack was knowingly targeting a chemical weapon depot embedded in civilian surroundings, that's not exactly a compelling argument of innocence.

Something .... Indeed nothing adds up here. America is not against taking military action or creating situations by which they get involved in money making conflicts. Tonkan, WMD,s Pearl Harbor, Lusitania etc. It's hard to believe that Assad would take such an action knowing how the world would react. He surely ain't that dumb.