Just bought booze at 711 with US Visa Card......

KhonKaenKowboy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would rather not have my money in Thailand thank you. I want the convenience of getting cash anywhere and anytime I like; especially without charge and at the Forex rate. I dislike going into banks or any other formality that amount to wasting my time at their hours. As I said, I get reimbursed for any disputes, even if I have not reported it first.  And, I have used that same financial institution for acquiring cash for 50 years in Asia without a loss--had a few false charges, but was always reimbursed. So, I think I'll continue doing it my way; your way sounds too cumbersome and depends far too much on a Thai system.  

What works for me is no fee uk credit card for some major purchases and use post office international transfer to Bangkok Bank account which I keep to a max balance of 200,000 baht. Takes less than 10 mins to organise transfer. Has just below interbank rate and no charges either end. Then use ATM.
Agree with the poster on $US being the defacto (foreign )currency. Worked in many "dodgy" places throughout my adult life ( prior to that I worked up chimneys before anyone asks). Always carried a $US escape fund, a habit I maintain to this day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

My guess is that utility bills will not be allowed to be paid via credit cards at 7/11. I would not expect it to be any different than paying them at Tesco Lotus where they will not accept credit cards for electric bills as an example.

Archived