Airport thief caught at checkpoint in Bangkok

rooster59

Airport thief caught at checkpoint in Bangkok

By The Nation

A FORMER luggage-handling employee of a private concessionaire company at Suvarnabhumi Airport, who was on the run from a criminal charge of stealing a passenger’s belongings, is now in police custody, police said Saturday.

Pipatpong Boonhata, 38, from Udon Thani, was arrested at a security booth on Romklao Road in Tambon Kloong 3 Prawet in Lat Krabang in Bangkok on Friday night. The arrest was part of a 10-day police operation to crack down on criminals and fugitives this month. 

Following interrogation, Pipatpong, whose appearance matched the wanted man’s description, confessed to police that he stole the passenger’s belonging at the airport in 2015. He was passed on to Suvarnabhumi Police Station later for prosecution.

Immigration Police commander Pol Maj General Chuchat Thareechat said police would check further if he had any accomplice in “this seemingly small crime that yields high impact on the country’s tourism”. 

He urged people to help watch out for crimes against tourists or for foreign and Thai fugitives, and to report suspicious people via the Immigration Police hotline 1178.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311782

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-09

21 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

he stole the passenger’s belonging at the airport in 2015

21 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

this seemingly small crime that yields high impact on the country’s tourism

Expect 2017 tourism figures to go through the roof. :coffee1:

It still does not mean that they have stopped thievery at the airport. I was transiting through Suvarabhumri twice in the past month when they broke the locks on my suitcase. Nothing taken but they break the locks AND part of the suitcase.

As the locks are that kind where the security personnel have an override key, we know that the cases are not being broken into for security reasons.

5 hours ago, humqdpf said:

It still does not mean that they have stopped thievery at the airport. I was transiting through Suvarabhumri twice in the past month when they broke the locks on my suitcase. Nothing taken but they break the locks AND part of the suitcase.

As the locks are that kind where the security personnel have an override key, we know that the cases are not being broken into for security reasons.

Were the locks broken while you were coming into Thailand or leaving Thailand? What airline did you use?

I have, today received an email from some very good friends of mine back in the UK, that have expressed an interest in coming over to see me and Mrs Kean.It will be their first time here. How do i explain to them about their luggage may be subject to theft, and that's  including internationl air lines. And that every Tuk Tuk and taxi driver will be out to rip them off. How do i explain to them that the police are so corrupt over here, that even a small problem could turn into a big one unless they can pay 1000's of baht to get them selves free.How do i tell them that even Bangkok,that has some wonderful things to see, is laced with the sex and drug industry.These people are good people and maybe a bit naive. They have been to most of Europe and they seem to think that a trip to Thailand is just up their street. How can i disappoint them.I would feel responsible for their safety at every given moment. They want to visit an island. What one could i recommend that hasn't had some terrible occurrence of late.

I feel that i should tell them not to come, but i have known these people for 30 years.

It really is a quandary to me.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
misspellng

28 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I have, today received an email from some very good friends of mine back in the UK, that have expressed an interest in coming over to see me and Mrs Kean.It will be their first time here. How do i explain to them about their luggage may be subject to theft, and that's  including internationl air lines. And that every Tuk Tuk and taxi driver will be out to rip them off. How do i explain to them that the police are so corrupt over here, that even a small problem could turn into a big one unless they can pay 1000's of baht to get them selves free.How do i tell them that even Bangkok,that has some wonderful things to see, is laced with the sex and drug industry.These people are good people and maybe a bit naive. They have been to most of Europe and they seem to think that a trip to Thailand is just up their street. How can i disappoint them.I would feel responsible for their safety at every given moment. They want to visit an island. What one could i recommend that hasn't had some terrible occurrence of late.

I feel that i should tell them not to come, but i have known these people for 30 years.

It really is a quandary to me.

Thats how I felt when big p pulled the coup. You just need to look past the media headlines and look outside. Outside is the same as it was when you first came to Thailand. On expat forums western culture of moaning, complaining and negative, misery reigns supreme. Because we need to practice our culture. We cannot be full Thai and smile, keep it all in and trust in our masters. So, hey, hey, khon kaen Dave or can I call you Dave. Dave you need to look outside and take a deep breath and say "Everythings ok". Now you do that Dave and when your ready, call those good friends of yours, nice to have good friends, you call those good friends and say "of course come to Thailand, yes Thailand is a wonderful place to visit". You do that Dave. Because ain't that the truth and don't you know it. Ok, time to split,

Later Dave.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

12 hours ago, humqdpf said:

I dunno.  I had this happen once on a flight *within* the U.S. (they cut the rings on the zipper that held the lock).  Still don't know who did it... no TSA placard, but nothing was taken, either (not that there was anything that great in there, if I recall).  It was a TSA lock, though I admit it was put on so the part with the TSA logo was facing the bag-- STILL you'd think they'd actually look at the lock before damaging the bag!

That's why these days I use zip ties.  If locks won't keep them out, AND will be destroyed (and the one I lost was borrowed, so, no fun), then they're not good for anything.  The zip ties at least alert me if someone has been in there, and parts of my bag won't be damaged in the process of removing them (got this idea from someone online).  (I use colored zip ties, so they're not easily just replaced with another one with me none the wiser.  I put a second one in the bag, attached a  piece of paper right on top advising TSA to put the new zip tie on if they open the bag.  The second zip tie is a different color, so I know on sight that it has been used.  Elaborate, but probably would  be effective for my purposes.)

12 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Thats how I felt when big p pulled the coup. You just need to look past the media headlines and look outside. Outside is the same as it was when you first came to Thailand. On expat forums western culture of moaning, complaining and negative, misery reigns supreme. Because we need to practice our culture. We cannot be full Thai and smile, keep it all in and trust in our masters. So, hey, hey, khon kaen Dave or can I call you Dave. Dave you need to look outside and take a deep breath and say "Everythings ok". Now you do that Dave and when your ready, call those good friends of yours, nice to have good friends, you call those good friends and say "of course come to Thailand, yes Thailand is a wonderful place to visit". You do that Dave. Because ain't that the truth and don't you know it. Ok, time to split,

Later Dave.

I read your post and, of course you can call me Dave, its my name. I have to say that when i first came to live here in Oct 99, There was no martial law, the girls in the bars seemed to be of a happier disposition,and every taxi that picked me up, had a driver that was happy to see me, and all of them used the meter.I lived in BKKfor 5 years and i thought it was great. The smells of food being cooked,the unimaginable amount of motorbikes, the noise of the street vendors. It was an experience, I never felt threatened, in either, Cowboy, or Nana.I was pretty street smart where i lived in the UK, which was the East End, and you had to be a bit live'o on your plates,at times.So i wasn't entirely green. BKK has certainly changed, it's atmosphere doesn't seem to be the same any more.I was in Patts for over 10 years. That is a city that isn't the same as it was. More stupid ferangs, more Indian people and middle east citizens on the streets. And, of course Chinese, and Russians. We even now have, obnoxious, fat,threatening looking Felangs practicing, violence, under the guise of debt collecting , when they aren't executing each other that is.Been in the village now for 2 years, happy, peaceful, no apprehensions about Song kran. Good people, always invited to weddings and parties, and a very good wife to go with it.

So, no, its not the same place it was when i came here.

I don't wear Rose tinted glasses, smoke weed, or get absolutely $#it faced.

I wish i could be in the same frame of mind as you are, but i see this country as being under a dictatorship, martial law, and having no elections anytime soon. I see the misery of suppressed media, secret armies being formed to take down anybody who even breath's the idea of revolution.And i see the poor getting poorer, the resentment of the Ferang getting higher, and crime going up, because there is no real punishment for any crime here, even the vile, intrusive crime of rape.

The populace here will be subjugated, and kept stupefied by drugs and booze, and it being a 3rd world country for many years to come.

And before all the silly boys with the "if you dont like it, why don't you go home"come out to play.

I am home, this is my home,but my home is a small Shangrila, that it took me a long time to find.

Also all the people who are still dancing through the daisy fields of 'so happy just to be here'

Wait a few years and see if your view of things, or attitude changes to disappointment

I thank you.I am available for weddings, funerals, christenings, birthdays, and barmitzva's.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
punctuation adjustment