Name a good Movie (non-cartoon) to watch with Thai Lady...

On second or third date....some English, but not a lot.  She is 40 something YO.  I thought Jaws might be good..I think they do like scary movies.  Any others that you have had luck with.  Even the musical West Side Story...is kind of mesmerizing, even if you don't really care for Puerto Rican dance troupes.  Are the classic black and whites too sophisticated?  How about Clint Eastwood....good cowboy movies or even Dirty Harry...lots of legendary American scenery in those...or John Wayne.  I would be interested in your thoughts.  Trying to keep romance as an option...so probably not Schindlers List or Private Ryan...but there are some good war movies out there.  Thanks!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First set the scene. 

Candelabra, champagne, some appropriate snacks. Show her your sophisticated metrosexual male side and go with a girlie type movie.

Get Fifty Shades of Grey and the sequel. The soundtracks to both are better than the movies so keep that on a YouTube standby.

You mentioned her English is limited sure you can find a torrent with subtitles. 

Have you asked her what she likes.  My partner really enjoys ladies in the lead roles with ladies in the action, so we have seen most things covering this from Tomb Raider to Resident Evil.  But we seem to have exhausted the list so waiting for new ones to come out, Ghost in a Shell and Wonder Women will be on the cards when i get home 

I sincerely hope you find the 'right' movie to watch, I've run of ideas.

Don't forget that the setting is everything. Oh one more, what about that new Beauty and the Beast one? Haven't seen it but there is a moral: if you are a billionaire and own a castle you can look like a total fugly person and get away with it.

1 minute ago, Minnie the Minx said:

I sincerely hope you find the 'right' movie to watch, I've run of ideas.

Don't forget that the setting is everything. 

Thanks..in modern day Bangkok it is a lot easier to get the movie on an impromptu basis, than it is to arrange for a nice romantic setting.  Had success living in cramped conditions in a frat house.....hey, wait a minute...Animal House...if she thinks it is totally disgusting and not funny, time to move on.

I find you wildly amusing btw. 

Are you trying to impress this lady? I'm sure there will be a lot of others who will give you ideas.

No wait!!!!............one last attempt, some Audrey, give her Audrey. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, you can't go wrong.

Pretty Woman  (Richard Gere, Julia Roberts)

Its about a wealthy guy saving a prostitute.......very apt in many cases here in Thailand.

Many a "White knight" has trodden that path.............to Disaster !!!

OP, think visual/action and scary, not to much dialogue. My wife is similar age and loved Life of PI, east to follow story and visual. 

A great Thai comedy if you can find it, some downloads/copies on youtube etc with english subs. She will laugh and you will get what makes her laugh.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191394/

https://www.moviehd-free.com/atm-er-rak-error-2012-atm-เออรัก-เออเร่อ/  (no english subs)

http://sockshare.net/watch/PGpEDVd3-atm-er-rak-error.html

I did this with the Mrs. Rewound the clock and we watched stuff like:

Dirty dancing

Home alone - she loved it

Pretty woman

The bodyguard

the goodies

Just fun stuff.

Mrs loves horror and ghost stuff too but it's me that gets frightened which worked a treat in that getting to know you stage:-)

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Pretty Woman  (Richard Gere, Julia Roberts)

Its about a wealthy guy saving a prostitute.......very apt in many cases here in Thailand.

Many a "White knight" has trodden that path.............to Disaster !!!

man you beat me to it. pretty much every 'love' story (including my own) i know of in thailand is a western man rescuing a thai hooker. they need to make a sequel where richard gere looses his house or falls off a balcony somewhere.

Greetings KK Kowboy ... I was going to say Out of Africa but Minnie beat me to it.  You got to try African Queen with Bogey and Audrey! (Africa just coincidence btw.) Almost 40 years ago, I married a non-english speaking woman. We both enjoyed this movie. Chok dee kopp!

If you have a smart TV, or can connect a Android TV box to your TV, download IFLIX from Play Store, movies in English with Thai subtitles, Thai movies English subtitles, etc, let her choose the movie.  30 day FREE trial, 100Bt a month after 30 days

Archived