Student activist, Sirawit, decides to enter military lottery

webfact

Student activist, Sirawit, decides to enter military lottery
By The Nation

376bad09139fa798d0f54c32ece166fe.jpeg

File photo: Student activist Sirawit Serithiwat

BANGKOK: -- Student activist Sirawit Serithiwat, better known as “Ja New”, forfeited his right to a military conscription postponement on Monday and will enter the lottery in the afternoon to determine whether he will be conscripted.

Sirawit reported to his conscription station at Wat Nong Chok School at 7am.

He is on the list of university students who have asked for a conscription postponement. But he told military officials at the conscription station today that he wanted to forfeit the right to the postponement and enter the lottery.

Drawing a black card means he avoids two years of military service. A red card means he has to serve.

Sirawit attempted to speak to reporters but was told by military official that he could not do so in the conscription tent.

After a brief dispute, Sirawit left the tent to speak to reporters. He was told to stay near the tent as the lottery starts at 12pm.

Sirawit made headlines when he led a group of students activists to board a train to Hua Hin, threatening to launch an inspection into alleged corruption in the construction of the Kings Park project. But his group was stopped by the authorities at Ban Pong Railway Station.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311863

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-10

At least the boy has the courage of his convictions, unlike some or in fact many detractors of the assorted administrations here now and in times past

Edited by shunter

That would be a way to mess with his head one last time over this.  When it's his turn, they put the existing bag of cards to the side and bring out a new one.  He'll object, "Foul, that bag is full of Red cards!".  Army guy just smiles and says, "Dunno.  Are you feeling lucky?  Stick your hand in there, let's find out."

They're all black.  :laugh:

Ja New’ is spared from subscription due to his weight

By Chanikarn Pumhirun

The Nation

12470ce40531f63fa0a89d168daaa9b4.jpeg

On Monday morning, student activist Sirawit Serithiwat, better known as “Ja New," bravely announced that he would forfeit his right to postpone his military conscription.

It appeared he would face the same fate in the lottery as any other young Thai man – if he draws a black card, he is spared conscription, but if it is red, he faces mandatory military service.

However, the high-profile story took another twist on Monday afternoon as he was about to enter the draw, when his mother said she had a hospital medical certificate that recommended that her son should not be conscripted because he is overweight.

When the issue came to a head, he refused to take off his shirt in public, saying privacy was his basic right, and instead went into a private room to be measured by an officer. When he came out from the examination, he said he was overweight, which qualified him for an exemption in mandatory military service.

“I’m here today according to the law. I’m not opposing the law as it was not issued by the National Council for Peace and Order. However my presence has seemed to attract special attention as I have been followed by Army officers all the time,” he said. 

The exemption due to his weight means that he is permanently spared participating in the military.

Sirawit told reporters that he felt relieved but not happy because being overweight could affect his health. He added that he would work to lose the weight.

“Ja New”, or Sergeant New, made headlines in December 2015 when he led a group of students activists to board a train to Hua Hin, threatening to launch an inspection into alleged corruption in the construction of the Rajabhakti Kings Park project.

His group was stopped by authorities at Ban Pong Railway Station.

Sirawit had been on a list of university students who have asked for postponements for years, but he offered to enter the draw on Monday.

In the morning, Sirawit attempted to speak to reporters but was told by military officials that he could not do so in the conscription tent. After a brief dispute, Sirawit left the tent and told the media the story.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311909

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-10

Absolute nonsense- when I was conscripted into the US Army during the Vietnam war- I was seriously overweight-didn't mean a thing. Went to Army Basic Training and lost 30kg in 6 weeks. Best diet plan on the planet. So much fun to have a Drill Sergeant start yelling at you at 4AM until 9PM that he would run you till you dropped- either dead or drop the weight.  I survived and so did others. Looks like a lot of people could use some discipline.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Absolute nonsense- when I was conscripted into the US Army during the Vietnam war- I was seriously overweight-didn't mean a thing. Went to Army Basic Training and lost 30kg in 6 weeks. Best diet plan on the planet. So much fun to have a Drill Sergeant start yelling at you at 4AM until 9PM that he would run you till you dropped- either dead or drop the weight.  I survived and so did others. Looks like a lot of people could use some discipline.

Exactly right. He could also be told to go away and lose weight before the next intake. A bit like the Katoeys with breast implants whom were told to make sure that they had their dangley bits cut off or next time they would have to pick up a card.