Can my son get an ID card.

PoorSucker

It's compulsory to obtain an ID card at 7 years, but not before.

He should be registered on his Mothers Tabien Baan.

Your sons details will have his birth certificate ID number listed within the book.

Until aged 7, only the TB is required as ID for domestic travel.

19 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Your sons details will have his birth certificate ID number listed within the book.

No need to be on the same Tabien Baan as his mother.

25 minutes ago, thedemon said:

No need to be on the same Tabien Baan as his mother.

If travelling together it makes life simpler.

The Mother may need the child's birth certificate otherwise to prove the child isn't travelling with a complete stranger.

Both house registration and Birth certificate while useful aren't photo ID. Thai/foreign passport is and at least proves you aren't trying to steal a kid that looks like your child.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've taught Grade 2/3 here for two decades and when Thai kids turn 8 they can get National ID cards. They're allocated an ID number at birth and in the interim can use house registration, birth certificate but the best of all is photo ID in the form of a passport. This is what I use for my own son who is three.

As Head of Grade 2 at my school it's quite safe to say I know what I'm talking about however the OP is entitled to go with the opinion he/she is most persuaded by.

1 hour ago, Covertjay said:

As Head of Grade 2 at my school it's quite safe to say I know what I'm talking about however the OP is entitled to go with the opinion he/she is most persuaded by.

From 11th June 2011, it became law for all children aged 7-15 to now obtain ID cards.

The OP specifically stated domestic travel, not International.

As his child is only 6 he has already been given the correct answers, that either his sons Birth certificate, or the Tabien Baan  he is registered in can be used as an alternative to an ID card for domestic travel.

Edited by dentonian

11 hours ago, dentonian said:

it is compulsory to get ID card at age 15. It is possible to get one at age 7. For domestic travel any card with a photo is acceptable for adults - even a foreign driver's license. So if the kid has a pupil card from school that should be fine. In any case, I don't think they insist on any type of ID for kids on domestic flights

1 minute ago, happylarry said:

As I said in post 3, the age is seven and you need the original (not copy) birth certificate for domestic airline travel.

As if the airline would let you take a child on a flight without proof that it belongs to you.....lol

HL

Do you have any reference to back up your assertions here?

For an adult, a copy of passport (not original) is acceptable for domestic travel so it doesn't sound logical that a child requires original only.

In any case I don't think that the exact requirements for ID required to board a domestic flight are covered by civil aviation laws in Thailand. Therefore it is up to each airline to set their own regulations and I think that these regulations have more to do with commercial profits than they do with security of the public.

And yes I do believe that an airline might well let you take a child on a flight without proof that it belongs to you. After all, if you are travelling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, you can take a 1 hour flight, a 7 hour bus ride or an overnight train. Do you think the bus company requires the same proof before the child can get on the bus? 

There is no comparison demon, for instance you could get on a bus carrying a gun, knife, axe or even a bag full of drugs but I'm damn sure you wouldn't get near a plane carrying them.

anyway my reference is my wife's say so. She has worked in the legal profession for the past five years or more and has been involved with all types of family cases especially involving custody cases, and where clients are traveling from one part of the country to another to go to court then she has helped them in many ways, including flying.

But it is what it is, if the OP wants to find out for sure then the best thing is to ring the airline itself and ask, I know I would believe my wife rather the "head of grade two"......lol

I'm finished posting on this subject now. Have a good day all.

HL

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, Covertjay said:

Already a national ID number you can ask for. Just no national ID card until 8 years old. Thai passport is good photo ID 1500 baht and lasts 5 years.

it is 7 years for at least 5 years already.

I just spent three hours this morning sitting outside the local amphur while my wife debated with Amphur staff whether both of my children were eligible for their ID - despite having Thai passports, Thai birth certificates, Tabian Baan, a Thai mother and Thai law behind them. It seems that some in official office here don't understand how easy it can/should be.
In the end they gave in and handed over the cards.[emoji18]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, RasiMike said:

I just spent three hours this morning sitting outside the local amphur while my wife debated with Amphur staff whether both of my children were eligible for their ID - despite having Thai passports, Thai birth certificates, Tabian Baan, a Thai mother and Thai law behind them. It seems that some in official office here don't understand how easy it can/should be.
In the end they gave in and handed over the cards.emoji18.png

How old are the children?

1 hour ago, RasiMike said:

They are 9 & 11.

It became compulsory for children attaining the age of 7 to obtain an ID card from July 2011.

The change in the law was announced through TV, media and schools.

At the time, my g/f son was aged 9. She was allowed 60 days to obtain his ID card or a late fine of 200 BHT.

The fine increases the longer you leave it.

Just exactly how your wife was not aware of the law, only she can answer.

However I'm guessing the ordeal you had at the Amphur was not about issuing the cards, but paying the fine beforehand.

You may never know if or how much she had to pay.

Admitting she was at fault would mean losing face.

We live abroad for the kids schooling and neither the Thai embassy nor consulate will issue their first ID card, only renewals. It must be given firstly at the amphur where their Tabian Baan is issued. My wife is aware of the rules and needed to explain them to the official serving her.

• 4 weeks later...
As far as not knowing if my wife lost face or had to pay...... You don't know my wife [emoji3]....She is a long way from the average Mia farang.
The final cost was 10 baht each which is what everyone pays here.

it's free to all.

you can buy a little folder to put it in for 5 baht in whatever colour you like

• 3 weeks later...

Some people can't read...

I travel often by air (domestic) with my Thai partner and a girl which is her idiot brother's. Girl is 6 now.

We always carry her original birth certificate. A copy was not sufficient for some airline.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect