Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

3 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So if  you were  to remove  the  stats  for "driving  above  the  speed  limit"  at  what  speed  do  you   believe  the remaining  victims  were  travelling  at ?

I believe in 25/50 //70 /100 km zones and more enforcement of it.so in a 50 km zone u cant drive 20 km and u cant drive 70 km in a 50 km zone.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

You first started your rant about Thais being unskilled drivers. Now it is farang. Make your mind up. Speed does not kill, any slight movement is speed and it will not kill you. Excess speed resulting in an accident may kill you or others. Slogans do not save lives. Sensible drive habits may help to avoid accidents. I do not drive at excessive speed, 90 kph suits me on the highway but that is my choice. I allow others to pass by driving to the extreme left. Others driving at 50 kph in the middle of the road are the ones causing accidents. My meandering soi will not allow anyone to drive at more than 30 kph. Also, in my area, I am the pedestrian as I love to walk. Never been in trouble yet, never have seen an accident except on the highways. Mind you, I do live in a small village near a small town and stupid city centric people only visit at songkran.    

I said that you probably are a very poorly skilled driver.Thai drivers most are fine some just need more common sense and reducement of speed is welcome here.u want fast fast good luck with it hope u have some insurance as u going to need it on your fast motorbike. 

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

I believe in 25/50 //70 /100 km zones and more enforcement of it.so in a 50 km zone u cant drive 20 km and u cant drive 70 km in a 50 km zone.

You change your opinion again. A few posts ago you stated that most people should be restricted to driving at 50 kph. You are floundering. The rules of driving already exist here. Most roads are fully signposted. Perhaps overly signposted. Do you really live here or are you some angry Aussie, living in your own country. Either way, your posts are pedantic and almost hysterical. Give it a rest. I surely will not reply to silliness anymore and you are one silly poster

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Trams  and  trolley  buses  have  a limited   range.  The   VIP  bus  with  dodgy   AC  may   suit.

Personally  I  prefer the   right  to  transit as  of will  but  within the  boundaries  of   law  but  more importantly  within  the  limitations  of  what  I sensibly experience as  a driver. 

An edict  of zone  regulated  speed  is  no compensation  for  common sense. 

4 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

You change your opinion again. A few posts ago you stated that most people should be restricted to driving at 50 kph. You are floundering. The rules of driving already exist here. Most roads are fully signposted. Perhaps overly signposted. Do you really live here or are you some angry Aussie, living in your own country. Either way, your posts are pedantic and almost hysterical. Give it a rest. I surely will not reply to silliness anymore and you are one silly poster

Good luck with racing and watch out for any put holes.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:24 PM, Destiny1990 said:

So how will enforcement of wearing the plastic 150 bht helmets lower the tsunami of road accidents? Especially since all reports say the problem is speed and alchohol.

If you run your head into a wall, with/without alcohol, and with/without a helmet, then the experience may suggest something.

I'm not suggesting cheap helmets cure all.  I'm saying it's something that is very easy to implement and would make a noticeable change to their statistics.  That's just the opening gambit though, not the end game.

They are seen as 'un cool' though, so perhaps fashion or hello kitty have something to contribute.

3 minutes ago, Shiver said:

If you run your head into a wall, with/without alcohol, and with/without a helmet, then the experience may suggest something.

I'm not suggesting cheap helmets cure all.  I'm saying it's something that is very easy to implement and would make a noticeable change to their statistics.  That's just the opening gambit though, not the end game.

They are seen as 'un cool' though, so perhaps fashion or hello kitty have something to contribute.

Got nothing against good helmets but it will not bring down the number of accidents right?

Mandatory speed limits for bikes will bring the number of accidents down same as better motorbike  lisence obtaining procedures and road rules behaviour testing.

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Got nothing against good helmets but it will not bring down the number of accidents right?

Mandatory speed limits for bikes will bring the number of accidents down same as better motorbike  lisence obtaining procedures and road rules behaviour testing.

Number of accidents no, number of fatalities I would certainly hope so.

1 minute ago, Shiver said:

Number of accidents no, number of fatalities I would certainly hope so.

Yes with good helmets Maybe a couple of less casualties  who now will be in a wheelchair instead for the rest of their lifes great solution!!.Reducing bike speed till 50 km makes more sense. 

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes with good helmets Maybe a couple of less casualties  who now will be in a wheelchair instead for the rest of their lifes great solution!!.Reducing bike speed till 50 km makes more sense. 

Reducing the  speed  of   motorcycles  to  50 km would  fix  all? Doubtful. The   land  of  Mopeds at  mercy  of  the  hulking  4x 4 drivers  who  would  delight  in  the  domination ?

Speed  certainly  is  a  factor.  But the greater  factor  is  the  braindead lack of  self awareness  at places  like  intersections  where the  speed is  almost  nominal zero that is highly significant !

Advocating speed   zones and  speed  capacity is  pointless when the  majority  ignore compliance overall.

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Reducing the  speed  of   motorcycles  to  50 km would  fix  all? Doubtful. The   land  of  Mopeds at  mercy  of  the  hulking  4x 4 drivers  who  would  delight  in  the  domination ?

Speed  certainly  is  a  factor.  But the greater  factor  is  the  braindead lack of  self awareness  at places  like  intersections  where the  speed is  almost  nominal zero that is highly significant !

Advocating speed   zones and  speed  capacity is  pointless when the  majority  ignore compliance overall.

bikeshop can re-set engines till max 50 km.bikes that have not been re-set and are caught driving above 50 km will be crushed.big bikes 90km..

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

bikeshop can re-set engines till max 50 km.bikes that have not been re-set and are caught driving above 50 km will be crushed.big bikes 90km..

I believe  you  have a fixation. Or  an interest  in a a  bike  shop  with  detuning   capacity!:smile:

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I believe  you  have a fixation. Or  an interest  in a a  bike  shop  with  detuning   capacity!:smile:

I believe your name fits with u perfectly because u know already my viewpoints about this topic so why u keep coming back ?I will not change my opinion duh.I strongly believe in reducement of speed it will safe many lives.Just as it did in Europe way less accidents.

Edited by Destiny1990

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I believe your name fits with u perfectly because u know already my viewpoints about this topic so why u keep coming back ?I will not change my opinion duh.I strongly believe in reducement of speed it will safe many lives.Just as it did in Europe way less accidents.

Yes.  And  Yes. And  yes  again.

And  no !

This  is Thailand.

Unlike  Europe where  enforcement  is   effective.

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yes.  And  Yes. And  yes  again.

And  no !

This  is Thailand.

Unlike  Europe where  enforcement  is   effective.

Actually excessive speed already starting to be reduced here also because people get more frequent fines from the speed cams.With these cams u can completely control the speed on the roads.so again u wrong sorry mate

10 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Actually excessive speed already starting to be reduced here also because people get more frequent fines from the speed cams.With these cams u can completely control the speed on the roads.so again u wrong sorry mate

Speed   cams  in Thailand  are generally set to  trigger  at  120km. 

And  how   can a   speed   camera  "control " speed?  Especially  when  frequent travellers  on a specific  road   know  where the  cameras  are  installed.

You  can say I am wrong  but  you  continue   with  your  fixation  about  speed.

Look at the  statistical causal evidence  of   motorcycle   road  deaths ! Even   where  speed  is  a  factor  often it was  not  the  motorcycle  exceeding !

22 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Speed   cams  in Thailand  are generally set to  trigger  at  120km. 

And  how   can a   speed   camera  "control " speed?  Especially  when  frequent travellers  on a specific  road   know  where the  cameras  are  installed.

You  can say I am wrong  but  you  continue   with  your  fixation  about  speed.

Look at the  statistical causal evidence  of   motorcycle   road  deaths ! Even   where  speed  is  a  factor  often it was  not  the  motorcycle  exceeding !

Example theprasit road pattaya hang signs there with max speed 50 km.now install Several  speed cams on this rd and set them on 55 km.in 2 months most vehicles go 50 instead of 100/120 they doing now.

U like go for a beer So i explain u in depth.?

Over about a 20 year period of collecting stats on speed limit changes in America, 70's to 90's, a variety of studies showed that the lowering and raising of speed limits (for ALL vehicles) did not give statistically reliable data to prove that reducing the speed limits reduced fatalities. With all of the various studies done, there may have been a negligible number less fatalities, but the studies couldn't come up with anything to really show this would be any kind of significant help at all. The limits have only gone up since then. And isn't it Germany that has the famed Autobahn with no limit? I'm assuming for motorcycles too... They have quite good safety records on their roads, seemingly regardless of these high speeds.
It's all about the environment, this includes road conditions, types of roads, location of roads, weather, etc etc..., and the level of stupidity of the drivers who are or are not adhering to common sense, not to mention posted limits, and driving in a manner not suited to the environment or their abililty. Reducing speed limits for motorcycles would not make a significant difference in fatalities. It is common sense and it has also been proven in extensive studies. And I believe it would make the roads less safe having different speed limits for different vehicles on the same road, with exceptions for restricted areas like steep inclines (again, common sense). It is the difference of speeds between vehicles that proves to be disaster waiting to happen. That's why there are minimum speed laws and also laws for not going with the flow of traffic because creating too much of a difference of speed between vehicles on the same road is dangerous. Maybe these laws aren't in Thailand though.... and even if they were... does anyone care?

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

Over about a 20 year period of collecting stats on speed limit changes in America, 70's to 90's, a variety of studies showed that the lowering and raising of speed limits (for ALL vehicles) did not give statistically reliable data to prove that reducing the speed limits reduced fatalities. With all of the various studies done, there may have been a negligible number less fatalities, but the studies couldn't come up with anything to really show this would be any kind of significant help at all. The limits have only gone up since then. And isn't it Germany that has the famed Autobahn with no limit? I'm assuming for motorcycles too... They have quite good safety records on their roads, seemingly regardless of these high speeds.
It's all about the environment, this includes road conditions, types of roads, location of roads, weather, etc etc..., and the level of stupidity of the drivers who are or are not adhering to common sense, not to mention posted limits, and driving in a manner not suited to the environment or their abililty. Reducing speed limits for motorcycles would not make a significant difference in fatalities. It is common sense and it has also been proven in extensive studies. And I believe it would make the roads less safe having different speed limits for different vehicles on the same road, with exceptions for restricted areas like steep inclines (again, common sense). It is the difference of speeds between vehicles that proves to be disaster waiting to happen. That's why there are minimum speed laws and also laws for not going with the flow of traffic because creating too much of a difference of speed between vehicles on the same road is dangerous. Maybe these laws aren't in Thailand though.... and even if they were... does anyone care?

Usa roads are very different than thai Roads.

better u crash with 60 km than with 90 km if u asking me.weird reports here in thailand conclude speed is the number one cause of accidents.but nice try !

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

better u crash with 60 km than with 90 km if u asking me.weird reports here in thailand conclude speed is the number one cause of accidents.but nice try !

How can you compare the States with Thailand? It doesn't make any sense and it's not worth to discuss, sorry. 

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

hahaha I expected something ridiculous along these lines... Keep it up! Or quit while you're ahead... Oops! too late!
USA roads are different... that's so funny you actually made me laugh out loud. I won't bother refuting that one, it's too hilarious.
You don't seem to understand the difference between 'speed' and 'speeding'! Speed limits are set for the conditions/environment (so, if the roads are different the limit is set differently! hahaha the roads are different! I'm still laughing). If speed killed, we'd all be dead. It is completely nonsensical crap sloganeering propaganda. It reminds me of the idiot liberal politicians who wanted to outlaw bullets because they are dangerous and they kill people! The imbeciles who talk about 'speed kills' in this article are a bunch of numbskulls. And it wasn't a 'nice try' on my part, but a massive amount of research over many years by many very experienced people who made this 'nice try'. You can believe which ever idiot jumping out in a news article you like, up to you. I'd prefer to go with decades of proven research. Common sense is nice too... but apparently it isn't too common in some people's destiny!
Truly sorry if I am too condescending, but it is just so insanely funny. Kinda like explaining something to a 5 year old that he has no experience to comprehend and asks very cute and funny questions that make you laugh and know that no matter how much you try to explain, he just won't get it. In the end, I'm sure you're a nice guy and very sincere. But in this one.... sorry, you are dead wrong. But go ahead and argue... I'm done.

Yes, sure (yawn), it's solely speed that kills, not the non-existing driving skills among motorists and their total disregard for their own safety and that of others (yawn again).

A motorbike crash can be just as deadly at 40 kmh as at 60 or 90. Ask any expert. But not Thai "experts", of course, because they know s**t (as glaringly obvious from the OP). 

Generally agree with you regarding speed level but it also depends how you crash. I dropped my bike a few months ago at around 60 km/h because a dog ran into me. I had a deep wound on my foot and abrasions on my leg and arm. Had I been dressed properly the injuries would have been quite minor. But then again I wouldn't want to know the outcome at 90 or faster...

On 4/13/2017 at 9:43 AM, spiderorchid said:

As someone that rides a cycle in US just about sums it up. I don't live in the US nor want to. I live in Thailand and there are no real rules here, bikes and cars veer all the time. In a small country that is overpopulated this is to be expected. Especially when there is no formal training given to car of bike drivers. Move on

I don't care where you live.  Defensive driving is defensive driving.  You either learn it or you don't.  The point I was making was that even in a country with rules, that is not overpopulated, defensive driving is important.  In Thailand, given exactly the reasons you've stated, high injury/death rates are inevitable.    

12 hours ago, olli room said:

Generally agree with you regarding speed level but it also depends how you crash. I dropped my bike a few months ago at around 60 km/h because a dog ran into me. I had a deep wound on my foot and abrasions on my leg and arm. Had I been dressed properly the injuries would have been quite minor. But then again I wouldn't want to know the outcome at 90 or faster...

I regularly see posts from motorcycle riders in the US who have crashed at speeds in excess of 100 km/h and have walked away without a scratch.  Heck, look at all of the professional riders who crash at over 100 mph.  

Yet, there are people who die in accidents at speeds of only a fraction of that.  Hit head on at 40 km/h and go full superman?  Yeah, that's going to hurt (if not kill you).  But laying it down at 100 km/h and sliding down the road while wearing protective gear will probably result in nothing more than some friction burns.  

It's not the speed.  It's the type of impact.  

Accidents are a mentality problem in this country! That is not going to change overnight. Therefore, in the short term, it makes sense to reduce the trauma effects of accidents. Reducing speeds is not the total answer, no more than the PM's idea of removing 50% of public vans! It does not address the core issues. Window dressing does not work.

1 hour ago, digibum said:

Defensive driving is defensive driving.  You either learn it or you don't.

Serious question, anyone know if there are many defensive driver courses in Thailand?
A quick Google search and seems there are very few. Maybe I'm missing if they are in Thai language.

Would love to get the relo onto one of these courses. My white knuckles are evident sitting the in-laws car. She constantly sits in the right-hand lane on the high speed roads in our area. Apparently the right lane is smoother :shock1: 

...never-mind the speeders ripping up behind her.

4 hours ago, digibum said:

I don't care where you live.  Defensive driving is defensive driving.  You either learn it or you don't.  The point I was making was that even in a country with rules, that is not overpopulated, defensive driving is important.  In Thailand, given exactly the reasons you've stated, high injury/death rates are inevitable.    

When I was getting driving lessons in UK as a nipper, the instructor told me to leave the main road by taking a right.  I stopped at the centreline whilst indicating, and checking rear view mirrors as I saw a car approaching me from behind at fairly high speed.

The instructor asked me what I was waiting for and I told him (just as the car was passing on the wrong side of the road.  He asked "do you think you can think for everyone on the road?  Just do things properly yourself",  Well I saved that instructors car from a side swipe, and elected to consider my own opinions on risk rather than blindly listening only to others - in many walks of life.

I regularly see posts from motorcycle riders in the US who have crashed at speeds in excess of 100 km/h and have walked away without a scratch.  Heck, look at all of the professional riders who crash at over 100 mph.  

Yet, there are people who die in accidents at speeds of only a fraction of that.  Hit head on at 40 km/h and go full superman?  Yeah, that's going to hurt (if not kill you).  But laying it down at 100 km/h and sliding down the road while wearing protective gear will probably result in nothing more than some friction burns.  

It's not the speed.  It's the type of impact.  

Actually it's the combination of both speed and type of impact that makes the difference of whether you're going to live or die. But never mind, I'm not gonna endlessly split hairs over this subject.