Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

20 hours ago, chenierkmer said:

Speed , no patience , not following the speed limit, no protective safety equipment on motorcycles KILL.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

no protective safety equipment on motorcycles KILL???

If in an accident, maybe. But by not wearing the kit does not mean you will be in an accident.

Besides a helmet i have ridden from Pattaya up to the Chinese border, down to the Singapore border. Road 10k + km around Vietnam in shorts, sandals and T shirt. No doubt i will get slagged for that, but not wearing it does not mean you will have accidents and die.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

"MOTORBIKES HAVE ACCIDENTS WITH CARS", rarely with each other, and rarely in isolation. No mention of the cars that run into, force off the road, cause the accidents with motorbikes. Cars hit bikes, turn in front of them, change lanes into them, etc.

Take action against all the pickups and benz's, accidents would be halved.

That's just the post I was gonna make. Well said.

no protective safety equipment on motorcycles KILL???

If in an accident, maybe. But by not wearing the kit does not mean you will be in an accident.

Besides a helmet i have ridden from Pattaya up to the Chinese border, down to the Singapore border. Road 10k + km around Vietnam in shorts, sandals and T shirt. No doubt i will get slagged for that, but not wearing it does not mean you will have accidents and die.

Very true but if you do have an accident, the likelihood of serious injuries multiplies greatly.
Your life, live it but don't take anyone with you, if it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

"MOTORBIKES HAVE ACCIDENTS WITH CARS", rarely with each other, and rarely in isolation. No mention of the cars that run into, force off the road, cause the accidents with motorbikes. Cars hit bikes, turn in front of them, change lanes into them, etc.

Take action against all the pickups and benz's, accidents would be halved.

So true.

Thailand has such a big problem, saying some people are just  bad.:coffee1:

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

90% of what u write here is total nonsense.About zoning yes ok Pattaya should be a complete 50 km zone for all vehicles but small sois max 30 km and sukumvit max 70km.So there is no need for motorbikes able to race with 100 km.

You are very apparently not an experienced motorcycle rider or you would know better. I'm not gonna waste my time finding links to dependable stats for you. You probably wouldn't believe them anyway because they definitely don't support your curious ideas, not by a long shot. Believe it or not, there has been quite a bit of research done on motorcycle accidents and safety.
You pretty much made one of my points in what you say about racing at 100 Kph ("exceeding the safe speed for the environment that is the problem"). "Racing" (or traveling) at 100 Kph on a road that is an open motorway wouldn't be a problem since that is a pretty normal speed for such a road, but on other roads, it would be begging for an accident and one with many obstacles. In such an environment this speed gives a higher chance to also impact an obstacle with your body, which is not the case on an open motorway where you can crash at high speed and not be so likely to impact any obstacle. That's why many high speed crashes don't result in death if the driver is properly attired and helmeted. I guess you haven't experienced a high speed crash... I have and also have known a good number of guys who have. You apparently have also never watched motorcycle racing.... 90% huh?... so cute ;)

There are many reasons why motorcyclists have accidents. From my observations, riding single handed could well be a major contributing factor. I'm sure most motorcyclists would agree that this is a hazardous way to ride. Here are a number of reasons that I  have seen for riding one handed:

Using a mobile phone.

Carrying a small child.

Carrying an umbrella.against the sun.

(Recently I saw a lady manage to do both of the above simultaneously!)

Carrying a large load that cannot be strapped on.

Shielding one's eyes against the sun. (usually coupled with not wearing a helmet of course).

Smoking a cigarette. (which creates the additional hazard of ash or sparks in the eyes).

Having a drink.

And sometimes, it seems, for no reason at all!

Interestingly, my wife is well aware of this  and often points them out herself. The reason for this is because she took a riding course at a government approved training school in Udon Thani. For her, safety is a 'by word' and she is now a very careful rider.

I hope that the day will come when all Thais (and unlicensed foreigners) have to take one of these courses before being issued with licence.

27 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There are many reasons why motorcyclists have accidents. From my observations, riding single handed could well be a major contributing factor. I'm sure most motorcyclists would agree that this is a hazardous way to ride. Here are a number of reasons that I  have seen for riding one handed:

Using a mobile phone.

Carrying a small child.

Carrying an umbrella.against the sun.

(Recently I saw a lady manage to do both of the above simultaneously!)

Carrying a large load that cannot be strapped on.

Shielding one's eyes against the sun. (usually coupled with not wearing a helmet of course).

Smoking a cigarette. (which creates the additional hazard of ash or sparks in the eyes).

Having a drink.

And sometimes, it seems, for no reason at all!

Interestingly, my wife is well aware of this  and often points them out herself. The reason for this is because she took a riding course at a government approved training school in Udon Thani. For her, safety is a 'by word' and she is now a very careful rider.

I hope that the day will come when all Thais (and unlicensed foreigners) have to take one of these courses before being issued with licence.

Makes me remember being on a motorcycle taxi with the guy answering his phone with one hand while smoking with the other!

Your comment about the motorcycle safety course is a good one. I took a course like that back home some 35 years ago. It was VERY worthwhile. I would even recommend it for people who have been riding recreationally for less than 3 years or so. Experienced dirt bike riders could even benefit a bit. If it is a good course, you will learn things that you never thought of before. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the course was about a one week deal for a few hours a day. At the very least, a shortened safety course (5-10 hours) would be a good and reasonable requirement prior to getting a motorcycle license. And it would be an excellent penalty for any motorcycle safety infraction (no helmet, no light, speeding, etc).

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Makes me remember being on a motorcycle taxi with the guy answering his phone with one hand while smoking with the other!

Your comment about the motorcycle safety course is a good one. I took a course like that back home some 35 years ago. It was VERY worthwhile. I would even recommend it for people who have been riding recreationally for less than 3 years or so. Experienced dirt bike riders could even benefit a bit. If it is a good course, you will learn things that you never thought of before. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the course was about a one week deal for a few hours a day. At the very least, a shortened safety course (5-10 hours) would be a good and reasonable requirement prior to getting a motorcycle license. And it would be an excellent penalty for any motorcycle safety infraction (no helmet, no light, speeding, etc).

Yes, I'm all for 'continuation training' as we called it in the forces.

Here's an article about courses run by the the British police. I'd love to do one, but I doubt if I'll ever back there to have a go.

And the author is quite right in his remark about police motorcyclists in the UK. They are awesome!

https://rideapart.com/articles/things-learned-riding-with-british-police

3 hours ago, Sig said:

You are very apparently not an experienced motorcycle rider or you would know better. I'm not gonna waste my time finding links to dependable stats for you. You probably wouldn't believe them anyway because they definitely don't support your curious ideas, not by a long shot. Believe it or not, there has been quite a bit of research done on motorcycle accidents and safety.
You pretty much made one of my points in what you say about racing at 100 Kph ("exceeding the safe speed for the environment that is the problem"). "Racing" (or traveling) at 100 Kph on a road that is an open motorway wouldn't be a problem since that is a pretty normal speed for such a road, but on other roads, it would be begging for an accident and one with many obstacles. In such an environment this speed gives a higher chance to also impact an obstacle with your body, which is not the case on an open motorway where you can crash at high speed and not be so likely to impact any obstacle. That's why many high speed crashes don't result in death if the driver is properly attired and helmeted. I guess you haven't experienced a high speed crash... I have and also have known a good number of guys who have. You apparently have also never watched motorcycle racing.... 90% huh?... so cute ;)

Upper most in my mind as a motorcyclist (of some 40+ years) has always been "ride to live" and you will enjoy your motorcycling for a longer time.

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Asking Thais to limit the numbers of people on a bike would be like asking Thais not to allow people in the back tray of a pick-up truck.

They would kick & scream, protest all day long... how can I get 3 kids to school at the same time etc etc

Maximum 2 people, both wear helmets, minimum rider age 15, after passing a test & riding instruction at an approved school.
Start to introduce a system where points are allocated to a licence for offences committed as well as fines.

When a set point limit is reached the licence is revoked for one year.

Same for car licences.

Sure, send them to nanny state land, so great there, we came to live here!

21 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

How many Thai parents wear basic helmets ? Amswer = Not many.  Cost <deleted> all of each helmet.  The helmet has No standards in safety especially as far as a basic helmet compared to western regulations!. Now the parents take 1yr old to 11year old as pillion passengers.  Guess what none of the children or very few have a basic head cover except the parents, (if your lucky to see that). That would be a good start at least to ensure ALL have a helmet .Thus improve from there and next restrict number of kids on the bike as pillion passengers. DAH F<deleted> how can i get a job running this insane motor registry Need an IQ of 40 plus? LOL LOS.I'll do it for next to nothing .But will accept tips/bribes like they all do

I am sure if you buy all the families who can only afford a motorbike to take the family around in a pickup, they will be happy to use the pick up.

11 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I am sure if you buy all the families who can only afford a motorbike to take the family around in a pickup, they will be happy to use the pick up.

Cleraly you must be Thai. Always wanting something for nothing! So you would risk your children to save a few Bah Yet can buy a motorbike?? Brain dead logic

19 hours ago, JGV said:

My thoughts Youth particularly male youth wants to show how manly, strong and brave they are and with an absence of parental guidance and where appropriate  control the result is a dangerous cocktail and hormones out of control - this is also the case with driving

The answer - Tough enforceable laws on wearing of helmets, speeding, reckless riding and most importantly tough tests before receiving licenses and parents being legally responsible for their children up to the age of 25 so they can also be punished

This may help a little but more women in government to move away from this macho mentality that exists here

parents being legally responsible for their children up to the age of 25!

You are having a laugh i hope! When you were 25 did you bow to your parents wishes? At 25 you are your own person.

At 25 they could be living in another province! Do you really think Somchai will call his mother and say "I'm off for a beer with my mates, then to karaoke to shag the local whores, but don't worry, i will wear a helmet!"

What kind of mindset do some people have here?

How about they tackle this problem like every other sane country does = POLICE ON THE STREETS, ON THE BACK ROADS, ON THE HIGHWAYS.... actually doing their job!! it's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!  

Yes, but it costs money and ongoing investment in proper equipment, patrol vehicles, training and forced internal standards of conduct (beating out corruption, patrolling instead of sitting around all day). The Thai governments, past and present, are not willing to do this massive undertaking. Police officers having to buy their own guns, says it all.

35 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Upper most in my mind as a motorcyclist (of some 40+ years) has always been "ride to live" and you will enjoy your motorcycling for a longer time.

Yup. Spot on. I've been riding off and on since 1965 when I bought one of these. (Gosh what memories!)

Defensive driving has paid off for me many times and continues to do so to this day.

And I enjoy it just as much now as I did back then. Maybe even more.

I do have to say though, my Honda is a lot more reliable than my old Beezer!

BSA C11G Their 1st OHV single.jpg

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Very true but if you do have an accident, the likelihood of serious injuries multiplies greatly.
Your life, live it but don't take anyone with you, if it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also look at it in a different way, if one is not wrapped up in full kit, one would ride with greater care.

Of course this does not stop someone crashing into you. But i will keep riding how i am comfortable.

20 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Cleraly you must be Thai. Always wanting something for nothing! So you would risk your children to save a few Bah Yet can buy a motorbike?? Brain dead logic

Always wanting something for nothing? 

Do you actually understand the difference in price between a car/pickup and a motorcycle? Factor in minimum wage and you should understand. Somchai my brother understands full well!

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Always wanting something for nothing? 

Do you actually understand the difference in price between a car/pickup and a motorcycle? Factor in minimum wage and you should understand. Somchai my brother understands full well!

Your not on this planet are you? LOL Your respnse does not respond properly to my question. Thus confirming "THAI" logic.

2 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Your not on this planet are you? LOL Your respnse does not respond properly to my question. Thus confirming "THAI" logic.

Respond properly? <deleted>!

Your logic is warped if you think the price of a motorbike is similar to a car. That was my answer to your lack of understanding of price difference. 

9 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Respond properly? <deleted>!

Your logic is warped if you think the price of a motorbike is similar to a car. That was my answer to your lack of understanding of price difference. 

ARE YOU THAI CHRIS? Simple yes or no.

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Isn't there here a minister incharge with road safety who is responsible for less deaths/ accidents each year and in case accidents going up that he will get sacked?

Responsible!!!!!! lol In Thailand? lol lol Really? That'll be new.

Agree a good full face helmet can make a difference.  I too have come off at about 80km/hr and slide for what seems like an eternity,  helmet banging all the while.  Very minor injuries, but had I not been wearing my helmet perhaps serious /fatal injuries

I watched a youtube clip where a Thai woman was coming back from the morning market with two heavy bags of shopping balanced on each handlebar. She slowed to a stop at a junction and without forward speed she unbalanced and toppled off the bike sideways and hit the ground head first

She died, doing 0mph. She wasn't wearing a helmet. Had she done so, she would be alive today.

The most reckless riders - and ones that are risking their lives trying to impress their stupid friends - are always the (small) bikes with the loudest muffler.

The sound they produce makes the rider feel big and tough. This outward sign of masculinity is only needed by boys worried about the small size of their penis.

Immediately make these off-market offensive mufflers Illegal and help solve this disaster; if it saves one life, it's been worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived