Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hey i did had a motorbike here but rarely used it and its sold.i think i do know what i talk about.Well mine hd fatboy was uncomfortable above above 100 km an hour because of wind pressure due to wide handle bars.Anyway the main issue is these small bikes they should be set for 50 km in Thailand.if u with a big bike want to ride 120 km on the highway go for it.But of the highway it should be 50/70 km zones for all.

Nowhere in the world do they enforce a 90 km top speed for bikes. So you are dreaming.

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

Like I said in many threads, the main cause of accidents is slow driving. Often, motorcycles will go up a bridge too slowly and the car behind will hit them when trying to overtake, or they'll be driving too slow on a narrow road, forcing the vehicle behind to overtake in a possibly dangerous way. I'm not saying to drive 200, but rather to blend in the traffic and drive at a quick but reasonable speed.

Another cause of accidents is motorcycles who engage on a main road not looking on the right, and driving slowly, causing a collision with the vehicle behind. When you merge on a main road with faster traffic than you, you should be quickly accelerating until you reach the speed at which other vehicles are going.

u would not say this if ever u had visited Thailand.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Small bikes need automatically limit for max 50 km and big bikes 90 km.

small bikes do not need to overtake anything just stay on left side.Will you let your daughter of 16 years drive on a shitty bike here that can drive easily  90 km an hour on poorly maintained roads in Thailand without any lining on it and full with dangerous  putholes and stray dogs crossing infront of her?seems u never even been in Thailand the way u talk?She better crashes with 50 km than with 90 km if thats your choice.

What a silly comment. Ride or drive to conditions is a catchword you should endorse. My Thai son rides a CBR 150. My daughter a 110. Another daughter a 125. I ride a 125 Honda scoot. And drive to conditions and capability. And my wife. Limiting speed according to bike size is a most silly comment. Limiting speed according to conditions of weather and road surface, the amount of traffic and your ability is a serious comment. It appears you are the one not living in Thailand, because your posts are bs.

2 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

What a silly comment. Ride or drive to conditions is a catchword you should endorse. My Thai son rides a CBR 150. My daughter a 110. Another daughter a 125. I ride a 125 Honda scoot. And drive to conditions and capability. And my wife. Limiting speed according to bike size is a most silly comment. Limiting speed according to conditions of weather and road surface, the amount of traffic and your ability is a serious comment. It appears you are the one not living in Thailand, because your posts are bs.

Of course the speed needs to be limited In regard with size of bikes and youth 16-18 years should only be allowed to drive on max 50 km bikes.

You know there are only 2 types of motorbike drivers those who just had an accident and those who are about to have an accident.whising you and your Thai family safe rides!

7 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Where in the world is 90 km the max speed for a big bike? 

Some people who are simply unable to read a short message and understand an opinion should never be allowed to drive themselves on the roads here in any type of vehicle.This will make it more safe for us to exclude some that are clearly mentally unfit?.

19 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Some people who are simply unable to read a short message and understand an opinion should never be allowed to drive themselves on the roads here in any type of vehicle.This will make it more safe for us to exclude some that are clearly mentally unfit?.

I understand that you being an ignorant <deleted> is just how you are. You have repeatedly stated the max speed for a big bike should be 90 km. I have just asked you where in the world this imaginary speed limit has been set.

If you are unable or unwilling to answer just say so, get back on your bike and start <deleted> riding and learning instead of continuing with your nonsense posts.

43 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

On highway max 100-120 km than all other roads 50-70 km.just like all other vehicles.speed kills!

Speed does not kill - it merely increases the severity of the accident - driving/riding too fast for the conditions (plus not wearing safety gear) is what kills.

Think(!) about motorcyclist doing 20km/h in a 50km/h or 100km/h zone, wet road, comes off bike hits head against concrete curb and dies (now or later), it wasn't speeding that killed him. "Speed kills" is just a catchy slogan used by people to explain why they hate those who break the law.

Yes it is simply rider error + driver error + attitude error + alcohol + lack of riding gear + maybe more. My friend had a small accident and was wearing runners and a helmet. Broken foot and everything else ok. Gear helps. Best insurance you can get is a good helmet gloves and boots.

20 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I understand that you being an ignorant <deleted> is just how you are. You have repeatedly stated the max speed for a big bike should be 90 km. I have just asked you where in the world this imaginary speed limit has been set.

If you are unable or unwilling to answer just say so, get back on your bike and start <deleted> riding and learning instead of continuing with your nonsense posts.

In my world!

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Speed does not kill - it merely increases the severity of the accident - driving/riding too fast for the conditions (plus not wearing safety gear) is what kills.

Think(!) about motorcyclist doing 20km/h in a 50km/h or 100km/h zone, wet road, comes off bike hits head against concrete curb and dies (now or later), it wasn't speeding that killed him. "Speed kills" is just a catchy slogan used by people to explain why they hate those who break the law.

The higher the speed the less time to react to avoid an accident.zoning is good 50/70 km for most zones and highways 100/120when i drive in Thailand I rarely see any (advisory )speed signs beside the roadd so i guess most drive here just whatever speed they feel like suits them.

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fyi most Americans are horribly  skilled drivers most cant even properly park a car after obtaining their driver license in the USA.So to demand higher speed in Thailand with hardly any skills to back this up seems insane!!

I am not a supporter of higher speed limits (that is for the state to decide) but I do support better education of riders (this includes lessons of accountability and responsibility), tougher licence testing and TOUGH enforcement that has a future deterrent effect (hopefully) for those guilty of breaking the road rules.

In the meantime, ride safely, defensively, expect the unexpected and ride to live to enjoy the experience. :smile:

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fyi most Americans are horribly  skilled drivers most cant even properly park a car after obtaining their driver license in the USA.So to demand higher speed in Thailand with hardly any skills to back this up seems insane!!

It seems some Americans come to Thailand, don't ride motorbikes here, then try to recommend riding speeds. At least find something you have some knowledge about before commenting.

39 minutes ago, gregk0543 said:

Yes it is simply rider error + driver error + attitude error + alcohol + lack of riding gear + maybe more. My friend had a small accident and was wearing runners and a helmet. Broken foot and everything else ok. Gear helps. Best insurance you can get is a good helmet gloves and boots.

U aware this is Thailand and not the USA?Here its flip flops and a 150 bht plastic helmet at the most.

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

It seems some Americans come to Thailand, don't ride motorbikes here, then try to recommend riding speeds. At least find something you have some knowledge about before commenting.

More clear and lower set Speed limits should involve for all vehicles.I am certainly not from the USA but i do know that the usa folks have very poorly driving skills because of a very poorly license examination test system.In the USA a license can be obtainted within days and without even any skills as how to park your car correctly!

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Of course the speed needs to be limited In regard with size of bikes and youth 16-18 years should only be allowed to drive on max 50 km bikes.

You know there are only 2 types of motorbike drivers those who just had an accident and those who are about to have an accident.whising you and your Thai family safe rides!

The  speed  needs  to be  matched  with the  speed of the  thought of survival !

"Defensive "  driving is the  key to  that anywhere.

Almost  non  existent  in Thailand.

The  opposite  more common.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

On highway max 100-120 km than all other roads 50-70 km.just like all other vehicles.speed kills!

Speed kills? If this is true you would be dead as soon as you moved. Stupid slogans such as head lights save lives. If this was true, dead people only need a head light waved over them to arise from death. Your stupid slogans are as naive as your posts 

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  speed  needs  to be  matched  with the  speed of the  thought of survival !

"Defensive "  driving is the  key to  that anywhere.

Almost  non  existent  in Thailand.

The  opposite  more common.

Hope u was not sober when u wrote this.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

The higher the speed the less time to react to avoid an accident.zoning is good 50/70 km for most zones and highways 100/120when i drive in Thailand I rarely see any (advisory )speed signs beside the roadd so i guess most drive here just whatever speed they feel like suits them.

You  are correct in  a limited  sense. The  speed being traveled  would  for  sure  be  factor  in serious injury and  higher  possibilty  of   death.

But  statistically the majority of sad  outcome  of  accidents involving permanent   debilitating  injury  and  also death  occurs at low  speed.

Most  often  as  a result  of error  of  judgment on  either /both/multiple drivers  involved.

Advisory  signs  are  exactly  that....

Comprehension  of  the reason  for the  existence  of  such  signs is  irrelevant  until  after  the  fact .

So  yes.  Thais  tend  to drive  at   whatever  speed  suits  them..........some  at   nominal  speed,  some  at a  dangerous  and  obliviou s  low  speed,  while  some  push  not  only  the  limits  of  over taking   capacity  let  alone   driving  skill  at   extreme   high   speed.

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

Speed kills? If this is true you would be dead as soon as you moved. Stupid slogans such as head lights save lives. If this was true, dead people only need a head light waved over them to arise from death. Your stupid slogans are as naive as your posts 

Mate i reckon that most Thais are better skilled drivers than u are so slow down a bit and give the pedestrians some chance also.Yes speed can kill.We do not like you racing in the sois here its annoying and stupid.Show some class and decentcy.I do not care what happens with you but i only try to have less Of us  getting involved in accidents that why reducement of speed is worth a serious try..

10 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

You  are correct in  a limited  sense. The  speed being traveled  would  for  sure  be  factor  in serious injury and  higher  possibilty  of   death.

But  statistically the majority of sad  outcome  of  accidents involving permanent   debilitating  injury  and  also death  occurs at low  speed.

Most  often  as  a result  of error  of  judgment on  either /both/multiple drivers  involved.

Advisory  signs  are  exactly  that....

Comprehension  of  the reason  for the  existence  of  such  signs is  irrelevant  until  after  the  fact .

So  yes.  Thais  tend  to drive  at   whatever  speed  suits  them..........some  at   nominal  speed,  some  at a  dangerous  and  obliviou s  low  speed,  while  some  push  not  only  the  limits  of  over taking   capacity  let  alone   driving  skill  at   extreme   high   speed.

Thai Reports here states that the main causes for accidents are driving above the speed limit, alchohol ,danger driving such bumper tailing ,overtaking from wrong lane.Driving under the speed limit was not mentioned as main accident cause in the report but came out ur thumb.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Mate reckon that most Thais are better skilled drivers than u are so slow down a bit and give the pedestrians some chance also.Yes speed can kill.We do not like you racing in the sois here its annoying and stupid.Show some class and decentcy.I do not care what happens with you but i only try to have less Of us  getting involved in accidents that why reducement of speed is worth a serious try..

You first started your rant about Thais being unskilled drivers. Now it is farang. Make your mind up. Speed does not kill, any slight movement is speed and it will not kill you. Excess speed resulting in an accident may kill you or others. Slogans do not save lives. Sensible drive habits may help to avoid accidents. I do not drive at excessive speed, 90 kph suits me on the highway but that is my choice. I allow others to pass by driving to the extreme left. Others driving at 50 kph in the middle of the road are the ones causing accidents. My meandering soi will not allow anyone to drive at more than 30 kph. Also, in my area, I am the pedestrian as I love to walk. Never been in trouble yet, never have seen an accident except on the highways. Mind you, I do live in a small village near a small town and stupid city centric people only visit at songkran.    

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Thai Reports here states that main causes for accidents are driving above the speed limit, alchohol ,danger driving such bumper tailing ,overtaking from wrong lane.Driving under the speed limit was not mentioned ad accident cause in the report but came out ur thumb.

So if  you were  to remove  the  stats  for "driving  above  the  speed  limit"  at  what  speed  do  you   believe  the remaining  victims  were  travelling  at ?

Archived