Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

19 hours ago, dcnx said:

I guess people on bicycles don't die.

Are you serious?

Quick Facts

Source: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm

You can break your neck by falling off a chair at Nana. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Are you serious?

Quick Facts

Source: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm

You can break your neck by falling off a chair at Nana. 

What that comment does highlightvis how bad Thailand is at gathering statistics....they are simply incomplete and uninformative..even misleading 

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It is also worth bearing in mind that whilst human error is the root cause of up to around 90% of all RTAs, most incidents are not the result of rank stupidity or rash driving....they are usually the result of a millisecond's lack of attention and the blame  - If you insist on it is usually attributable in varying proportions to all parties involved  This is not the same as the law either.

I would think that lack of attention is stupidity. Riding motorcycles requires 100% attention! At the end of the day, whether the motorcyclist is in the right or wrong, the motorcyclist will pay the price for any accident.

Therefore 100% attention IS required. Ride (or drive) to live.

As for the boy racers my message is get out on the track and see how good you think you really are. The bulls_hit stops when the flag drops!

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Helmets do not reduce accidents.Yeah maybe a couple less of deaths but then they not death but end up in some wheelchair.

Reduce the speed of all vehicles will certainly lower the number of accidents and injuries.

Helmets reduce road trauma deaths as long as the spinal cord is not overly stretched and the skull is not severely impacted. True. Reducing speed is not effective, many road accidents occur when an overly slow driver causes risk takers trying to pass a very slow driver. Slow drivers should keep to the left, how many times have you seen slow drivers hogging the right lane. But your first line post is puerile. Helmets on their own cannot reduce accidents. That is a taken, as is a nuclear bunker cannot prevent war. But helmets may prevent some deaths, and sure some may end up in a wheelchair, some but not all.

5 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Helmets reduce road trauma deaths as long as the spinal cord is not overly stretched and the skull is not severely impacted. True. Reducing speed is not effective, many road accidents occur when an overly slow driver causes risk takers trying to pass a very slow driver. Slow drivers should keep to the left, how many times have you seen slow drivers hogging the right lane. But your first line post is puerile. Helmets on their own cannot reduce accidents. That is a taken, as is a nuclear bunker cannot prevent war. But helmets may prevent some deaths, and sure some may end up in a wheelchair, some but not all.

U mostly wrong all reports in Thailand  shows that a to high speed was the main factor in most of the road accidents.u can drive ur bike cruising with 90 km wearing a helmet and flip flops and stray dog crosses infront of you and now you crash.With 50 km maybe u would still be able to brake and avoid crashing into the dog.

My wife's nephew crashed a day or so ago on a motorcycle. Drunk.  He did the same about a year ago and had some brain injury, not quite the same since. To add insult to injury, her sister's older son disappeared  and her reserve fund gold jewelry disappeared from the house. I guess the nephew is OK, we'll see.  SIGH.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

U mostly wrong all reports in Thailand  shows that a to high speed was the main factor in most of the road accidents.u can drive ur bike cruising with 90 km wearing a helmet and flip flops and stray dog crosses infront of you and now you crash.With 50 km maybe u would still be able to brake and avoid crashing into the dog.

And maybe travelling at 10 km an hour would be even more effective according to you. The worst thing with people obeying the speed limit is a slow driver in the wrong lane. And stubborn. This stubborn driver is what you wish to create. Wishy washy solutions. Slow drivers to the left, speed adherers to the right, use of indicators, normal driving habits and training of all drivers before a permit is issued should be the norm.

10 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I would think that lack of attention is stupidity. Riding motorcycles requires 100% attention! At the end of the day, whether the motorcyclist is in the right or wrong, the motorcyclist will pay the price for any accident.

As for the boy racers my message is get out on the track and see how good you think you really are. The bulls_hit stops when the flag drops!

Lack of attention is inevitable   you don't seem to understand, it is something every driver including yourself is guilty of....it is irrelevant which party....if you think you have 100% attention 100% of the time you are a danger to yourself and others.

On of the major problems of road safety is that motorists are incapable of self assessment...studies have shown that the kind of thinking or assuming that you gave just made is prevalent  everywhere not just Thailand.

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Lack of attention is inevitable   you don't seem to understand, it is something every driver including yourself is guilty of....it is irrelevant which party....if you think you have 100% attention 100% of the time you are a danger to yourself and others.

On of the major problems of road safety is that motorists are incapable of self assessment...studies have shown that the kind of thinking or assuming that you gave just made is prevalent  everywhere not just Thailand.

Wow, you have some knowledge about my "attention" that I did not know? And why would my attention be a danger to others!

Having been a motorcyclist for 45+ years (incl. a period of racing them) I can clearly claim my attention has kept me alive and without any serious injury.

Is their anything else you know about me that I do not? Rhetorical question.

6 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

And maybe travelling at 10 km an hour would be even more effective according to you. The worst thing with people obeying the speed limit is a slow driver in the wrong lane. And stubborn. This stubborn driver is what you wish to create. Wishy washy solutions. Slow drivers to the left, speed adherers to the right, use of indicators, normal driving habits and training of all drivers before a permit is issued should be the norm.

Small bikes need automatically limit for max 50 km and big bikes 90 km.

small bikes do not need to overtake anything just stay on left side.Will you let your daughter of 16 years drive on a shitty bike here that can drive easily  90 km an hour on poorly maintained roads in Thailand without any lining on it and full with dangerous  putholes and stray dogs crossing infront of her?seems u never even been in Thailand the way u talk?She better crashes with 50 km than with 90 km if thats your choice.

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Small bikes need automatically limit for max 50 km and big bikes 90 km.

small bikes do not need to overtake anything just stay on left side.Will you let your daughter of 16 years drive on a shitty bike here that can drive easily  90 km an hour on poorly maintained roads in Thailand without any lining on it and full with dangerous  putholes and stray dogs crossing infront of her?seems u never even been in Thailand the way u talk?She better crashes with 50 km than with 90 km if thats your choice.

You have no knowledge of motorbikes at all and are making yourself  look a right <deleted> stating max speed for a big or small bike.   

13 minutes ago, chrissables said:

You have no knowledge of motorbikes at all and are making yourself  look a right <deleted> stating max speed for a big or small bike.   

I have probably owned and driven more bikes than you including hd fatboy and suzuki 500 crossbikes however in Thailand i only drive cars or walk .Well good luck having your kids out on their shitty bikes and poorly roads in Thailand doing 95 km.

The teenage Boy Racers are a problem worldwide;

but by enforcing the NO off-market loud exhaust, you castrate the motorbikes extra performance and thereby reduce the thrill of blowing off.

Besides all the other legitimate theories here, I am certain that enforcing a ban on loud exhausts will save lives and save noise pollution.; and our hearing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

46 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I have probably owned and driven more bikes than you including hd fatboy and suzuki 500 crossbikes however in Thailand i only drive cars or walk .Well good luck having your kids out on their shitty bikes and poorly roads in Thailand doing 95 km.

In your experience did you discover why the countries considerably more fast bikes have a tremendously lower death rate than Thailand. 

Maybe they should increase the speed, so Thailand can be as safe as the west.

There is no way a law or limitations are going to fix what's wrong with driving in Thailand. They are simply very bad and reckless drivers.

And it's the 4 and 4+ wheel drivers that are doing most of the killing of the bikers. Maybe they should all go 50km too.

16 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

In your experience did you discover why the countries considerably more fast bikes have a tremendously lower death rate than Thailand. 

Maybe they should increase the speed, so Thailand can be as safe as the west.

There is no way a law or limitations are going to fix what's wrong with driving in Thailand. They are simply very bad and reckless drivers.

And it's the 4 and 4+ wheel drivers that are doing most of the killing of the bikers. Maybe they should all go 50km too.

If u have perfect roads then maybe speed can increase but the roads here definitely not suitable for going fast.Yes Pick ups minivans and trucks busses all need limited till 80 km.so the Thai roads will become more safe for our kids.im my home country all small bikes have max a speed limit of 50 km.my homecountry have one of the lowest motorcycle accidents ratio in the world.

31 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If u have perfect roads then maybe speed can increase but the roads here definitely not suitable for going fast.Yes Pick ups minivans and trucks busses all need limited till 80 km.so the Thai roads will become more safe for our kids.im my home country all small bikes have max a speed limit of 50 km.my homecountry have one of the lowest motorcycle accidents ratio in the world.

The roads here are fine

I think the manufacturers as in the clear on this one.

Aside from 'earning' a licence and getting points on it, using helmet etc, how about fixing potholes properly (or building the roads properly in the first place), keeping the sides of the roads gravel free, lane discipline (in HK 60% of all traffic accidents occur when lane changing).

Only thing a manufacturer could do would be to refuse to throttle out of a bend without enough vision to see what might be behind that concrete wall on the corner and detects no traffic approaching where the bike is projected to be.  All complex and expensive stuff.

Anyhow, the simple one is helmets and can be implemented today.  The police can fine and issue discounts to helmet shops that they own for bonus tea money..  After 1 year reassess and move to step #2, 3, 4 etc.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I have ridden bikes all my life since i was 13 in fact. 

I have a big bike and a small bike here in Thailand and have ridden almost everywhere here, Laos up to the Chinese border on both bikes, and Malaysia down to the Singapore border.

I have bought a bike and ridden most of Vietnam for 3 months last year 10,000 + km.

As you have never ridden here, you are making comments based on no real knowledge. 

When on your HD or crossbike, i presume you kept to your self imposed limit of 90km?

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

I have ridden bikes all my life since i was 13 in fact. 

I have a big bike and a small bike here in Thailand and have ridden almost everywhere here, Laos up to the Chinese border on both bikes, and Malaysia down to the Singapore border.

I have bought a bike and ridden most of Vietnam for 3 months last year 10,000 + km.

As you have never ridden here, you are making comments based on no real knowledge. 

When on your HD or crossbike, i presume you kept to your self imposed limit of 90km?

Hey i did had a motorbike here but rarely used it and its sold.i think i do know what i talk about.Well mine hd fatboy was uncomfortable above above 100 km an hour because of wind pressure due to wide handle bars.Anyway the main issue is these small bikes they should be set for 50 km in Thailand.if u with a big bike want to ride 120 km on the highway go for it.But of the highway it should be 50/70 km zones for all.

15 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Maybe  reverting  to  walking would  be  the  solution  to  arrogant ignorance? That  way  people   could  have  time  to  pat the  friendly   soy  dogs  and  collect  the   plastic  waste   as  they   travel ?

Oh  what a wonderful   place  Thailand   could  be !   lol

4 hours ago, Shiver said:

I think the manufacturers as in the clear on this one.

Aside from 'earning' a licence and getting points on it, using helmet etc, how about fixing potholes properly (or building the roads properly in the first place), keeping the sides of the roads gravel free, lane discipline (in HK 60% of all traffic accidents occur when lane changing).

Only thing a manufacturer could do would be to refuse to throttle out of a bend without enough vision to see what might be behind that concrete wall on the corner and detects no traffic approaching where the bike is projected to be.  All complex and expensive stuff.

Anyhow, the simple one is helmets and can be implemented today.  The police can fine and issue discounts to helmet shops that they own for bonus tea money..  After 1 year reassess and move to step #2, 3, 4 etc.

So how will enforcement of wearing the plastic 150 bht helmets lower the tsunami of road accidents? Especially since all reports say the problem is speed and alchohol.

Like I said in many threads, the main cause of accidents is slow driving. Often, motorcycles will go up a bridge too slowly and the car behind will hit them when trying to overtake, or they'll be driving too slow on a narrow road, forcing the vehicle behind to overtake in a possibly dangerous way. I'm not saying to drive 200, but rather to blend in the traffic and drive at a quick but reasonable speed.

Another cause of accidents is motorcycles who engage on a main road not looking on the right, and driving slowly, causing a collision with the vehicle behind. When you merge on a main road with faster traffic than you, you should be quickly accelerating until you reach the speed at which other vehicles are going.

3 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Like I said in many threads, the main cause of accidents is slow driving. Often, motorcycles will go up a bridge too slowly and the car behind will hit them when trying to overtake, or they'll be driving too slow on a narrow road, forcing the vehicle behind to overtake in a possibly dangerous way. I'm not saying to drive 200, but rather to blend in the traffic and drive at a quick but reasonable speed.

Another cause of accidents is motorcycles who engage on a main road not looking on the right, and driving slowly, causing a collision with the vehicle behind. When you merge on a main road with faster traffic than you, you should be quickly accelerating until you reach the speed at which other vehicles are going.

An  aggravation of that is that  many  motorcyclists  have the  habit  of  slowing down in anticipation of  being overtaken ! Probably  in the  belief  that  it  is  safer. Unfortunately it  actually  creates  an unpredictable situation in respect  of  oncoming  traffic. 

Archived