Video: Car hits express train - but you may not see a crazier accident all Songkran week

webfact

14 hours ago, Grubster said:

Yes the brakes could have failed, the person could have had a stroke or a multitude of other disabling events, we don't know, but the bashing comes first.

All those thing could be true, but the likelihood that the driver was texting, searching the internet, or just not paying attention are more likely by far. Bashing on Thai Visa can be over the top, but comments regarding the general lack of driving skills and lack of awareness on the road I don't think are over the top. This is a serious issue that routinely gets people killed. Is it really bashing if it is true.  Try driving for a couple of weeks on Thailand's highways and byways, if you don't come away with the impression that many (not all) of the drivers are complete morons and should not have a drivers license I would be very surprised. 

Edited by Ahab
Added comments for clarity

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ahab said:

All those thing could be true, but the likelihood that the driver was texting, searching the internet, or just not paying attention are more likely by far. Bashing on Thai Visa can be over the top, but comments regarding the general lack of driving skills and lack of awareness on the road I don't think are over the top. This is a serious issue that routinely gets people killed. Is it really bashing if it is true.  Try driving for a couple of weeks on Thailand's highways and byways, if you don't come away with the impression that many (not all) of the drivers are complete morons and should not have a drivers license I would be very surprised. 

I do come away with that impression here and in the west,  and I would guess that a stroke causing that accident is much more likely than a driver on a cell phone.

For the info for Psyvolt, I just spent 2 and a half months in Thailand and seen way too many people texting while driving. I even seen a car run into

a big truck in front of it because the driver had his head down texting and the truck stopped for people crossing the road.  The car had its hood

totalled, and the driver was out and screaming at the truck driver, who then came out of his cab with a big wrench, end of argument.  That's why I figure this

driver was also distracted and likely from texting.  So yes  I do know sh*t, and I seen a lot of it happen during my visit to Thailand in Bangkok,

Cha Am,  and Hua Hin, as well as in Jomtien, and in the north as well at Nong Khai, I also seen way too many people on motorbikes with no helmets, and driving

crazy.  Thailand will be in the top 10 worst countries for a few years yet, for bad drivers causing way too many deaths.

Geezer

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

That's why I figure this driver was also distracted and likely from texting.  So yes  I do know sh*t, and I seen a lot of it happen during my visit to Thailand in Bangkok,

Cha Am,  and Hua Hin, as well as in Jomtien, and in the north as well at Nong Khai, I also seen way too many people on motorbikes with no helmets, and driving

crazy. 

Do not forget about the motorbike riders with no helmet, and texting while riding along without a care in the world. Not an uncommon sight in Thailand.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:00 AM, akampa said:

clunk click every trip !  :post-4641-1156693976:

Jimmy saville  the pervert, however it took several years for the Brits to get the big picture, for those younger members JS did a tv advert the catch phrase clunk click every trip as you fasten your seat belt,  it really should have been young chick unzip .

Not as dire, but......

A week ago, I stopped on the side of a long gravel road, to take a brief hike among the rice paddies.  Afternoon, 2-lane road, no obstructions, clear day.   I'm out in front of my parked car, putting on my shoes, when I hear a ker-plunk and immediately notice a motorbike had hit the back of my car.  It's two Thai girls, late teens.  One hurt her knee.  The bike is on its side.  We exchange a few surprised words, then I go on my hike.