PM: Ban on riding in truck bed to be strictly enforced after Songkran

webfact

So school children riding on the roof of the school bus is OK I presume. Three underage students on a , maxi decibel modified exhaust motorcycle , no helmets, no licence and no insurance, join the traffic flow on leaving the school entrance under the directions of the traffic policeman is also OK I presume ?! Wife and three infants in the motorcycle 'sidecar' is also OK ?  Students standing on the Baht bus rear step and clinging to the purpose made vertical grab handles is also OK ? The chance of them ending up in wheelchairs after being rear ended by a truck is also a risk worth taking no doubt ? Police riding their motorcycles wearing their peak caps is also OK ? Dustbin collection operatives hanging one handed on the back of the moving lorry whilst sorting out the rubbish with the other hand is acceptable I suppose ?

So school children riding on the roof of the school bus is OK I presume. Three underage students on a , maxi decibel modified exhaust motorcycle , no helmets, no licence and no insurance, join the traffic flow on leaving the school entrance under the directions of the traffic policeman is also OK I presume ?! Wife and three infants in the motorcycle 'sidecar' is also OK ?  Students standing on the Baht bus rear step and clinging to the purpose made vertical grab handles is also OK ? The chance of them ending up in wheelchairs after being rear ended by a truck is also a risk worth taking no doubt ? Police riding their motorcycles wearing their peak caps is also OK ? Dustbin collection operatives hanging one handed on the back of the moving lorry whilst sorting out the rubbish with the other hand is acceptable I suppose ?

Yes yes yes! All that is ok and should be.

If you want a nanny state why did you leave your home country?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, CantSpell said:

And note to the millions of people who bought pick up trucks 3 years ago under Yingluck scheme...

Sod off...

Dont worry the government will let people trade in their old pickups

for a brand new micro-bus...Even trade.... 

They should have thought of that before they bought the pick ups ,the law has been there for 37 years , so No excuses Sherlock

Really? Then why was/is the tax system setup to encourage the purchase of two door pickups vs 4 door vs sedans? And why have police been allowed to ignore such law enforcement for 37 years, under multiple ruling governments? Technically you may be right, but an arbitrary, immediate, short-notice' far-reaching clamp down is the wrong way. Definitely no happiness brought to the People with this poorly thought out undertaking by the PM.

4 hours ago, ianf said:

There is nothing more stupid than riding in the back of a pick up. But because it has been custom and practice in many areas (taking workers to building sites, kids to school and so on) it would be difficult to change behaviours. Easy solution? A little bit of lateral thinking may help here. How about speed restricting picks ups with flat bed passengers to 40km per hour. This would resolve the social issues and introduce a measure of care/safety. Logical thinking really but logic never seems to apply in Thailand.

How can you make a limit of 40 Kph ?  Thais dont know how to drive that slow and if they did there would be massive traffic jams, road rage, resulting in deaths, and when the pick up gets hit up the arse going so slow all the people in the vehicle will be severely injured Dumb idea, but its a start. I have no suggestions cos there will be no positive result. And the PM expects these poor people to vote for him if they ever have an election !!!!

personally i think it is one of the few wise concessions he has made.

it was a losing battle over the holiday week, at least he has a chance of making the law stick with consistent enforcement after the crazy season.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:24 PM, jerojero said:

Really? Then why was/is the tax system setup to encourage the purchase of two door pickups vs 4 door vs sedans? And why have police been allowed to ignore such law enforcement for 37 years, under multiple ruling governments? Technically you may be right, but an arbitrary, immediate, short-notice' far-reaching clamp down is the wrong way. Definitely no happiness brought to the People with this poorly thought out undertaking by the PM.

The Police are the Thai Police and they enforce every law the same(like it don't exist)As for the tax system setup you mentioned that could have been/is for businesses benefits .Still it does't matter Thailand will be Thailand .There are two ways to do thingsThat's the Right way  and the Thai way. (:

Crap. That's where law breaks down. Enforcement depends on bib's mood. I so wish they would do their job. Apathy is the slow death of this country. As other countries move forward, Thailand's stagnant position is thrown into sharp focus.

Deplorable situation.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12-4-2017 at 11:11 AM, ianf said:

There is nothing more stupid than riding in the back of a pick up. But because it has been custom and practice in many areas (taking workers to building sites, kids to school and so on) it would be difficult to change behaviours. Easy solution? A little bit of lateral thinking may help here. How about speed restricting picks ups with flat bed passengers to 40km per hour. This would resolve the social issues and introduce a measure of care/safety. Logical thinking really but logic never seems to apply in Thailand.

Limit them to back-roads where they have to go slower,  policing them to 40km hour wont happen.. its easier to just limit where they can go. On smaller roads the road will force them to go slower. But your idea has merit only problem is the police they never enforce it anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived