When english is not your first language...

carbide

36 minutes ago, kowpot said:

What is the context of the message? It also has to have the correct amount of letters and yes we are talking about english. Though it may work for some other languages, I am not sure..............

36 minutes ago, kowpot said:

What is the context of the message? It also has to have the correct amount of letters and yes we are talking about english. Though it may work for some other languages, I am not sure..............

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe... This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself by the word as a whole. ... There is also evidence to suggest that information in the shape of an entire word plays an important role in reading.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/04/2017 at 5:13 PM, Katia said:

^ Actually, that's how some native speakers of English write, too!

(I had a coworker who would drive me nuts with her random quotation marks and capitalization.  She probably would have written, Please do "not" "sit" on the Railing.)

That's just following in the great British tradition of the 'Greengrocer's Apostrophe'.

Banana's, cabbage's, sprout's and apple's are to be seen on greengrocer's hoardings and chalkboards up and down the country. It adds to the charm of the High Street! :)

Greengrocers'_apostrophe_3.jpg

1 hour ago, nisakiman said:

That's just following in the great British tradition of the 'Greengrocer's Apostrophe'.

Banana's, cabbage's, sprout's and apple's are to be seen on greengrocer's hoardings and chalkboards up and down the country. It adds to the charm of the High Street! :)

Greengrocers'_apostrophe_3.jpg

I recognize no errant apostrophe that is applied consistently!  Everyone knows it has to be something like "mango's" and "plum's" and "limes" and "apple's" and "lemons."  To prove that they really REALLY have no idea how an apostrophe is used because they can't even misuse it the same way all the time.

(I might give this one points for "pair's" though!)

In the car park of the Central Mall in Udon Thani. There is a sign which lists the rules to abide by. One line says:

'Do not start the engine'. So, what am I supposed to do, push my car out? (at 71, you're going to have to help me) :smile:

I also do like the one I see on route 22 on the way to Sakon Nakhon:

'All lorries, strength to the Weighing Station'!

On 4/16/2017 at 2:52 PM, Katia said:

I recognize no errant apostrophe that is applied consistently!  Everyone knows it has to be something like "mango's" and "plum's" and "limes" and "apple's" and "lemons."  To prove that they really REALLY have no idea how an apostrophe is used because they can't even misuse it the same way all the time.

(I might give this one points for "pair's" though!)

Spend any time on this forum and you will quickly realize that the apostrophe is the most misunderstood, misused or missed out of all the English language's punctuation marks.

(Sent via Microsoft Word to make sure that my punctuation is correct! :smile:)

Edited by Moonlover

I wish I had your aptitude for languages or the time to study. 13 years living here and I still can't read a letter of Thai. Can't speak much either, but one of the benefits of living/working in Bangkok is that it's easy to get by with basic Thai.

I suck at languages, but i do put in the effort. Anyone can truly learn. There is so much out there to help you learn. Ive taken lessons, found language tutors on italki, used online programs such as thaipod101.com. if you want to learn bad enough, you can do it. Learn for fun, we wont be graded anymore

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/13/2017 at 2:22 AM, lanng khao said:

I only found out i was dyslexic when i went to a Toga party dressed as a goat..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dyslexia rules KO

There used to be a sign in a hotel room in Pattaya  that waned to be a no smoking sign.

It actually had a cigarette  sign with a cross through it and it's text said. "Hey you, be safety life".

They meant "No smoking in Bed.

Unfortunately it no longer exists.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment

4 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There used to be a sign in a hotel room in Pattaya  that waned to be a no smoking sign.

It actually had a cigarette  sign with a cross through it and it's text said. "Hey you, be safety life".

They meant "No smoking in Bed.

Unfortunately it no longer exists.

Did it get destroyed in the fire ?

4 hours ago, Minnie the Minx said:

download.jpg

The amazing thing is, unlike many of the "interestingly named" Chinese restaurants etc. this place is real.

They're at 180A, Ma Tau Wai Rd, Hung Hom, Hong Kong and are a recommended bookstore for the Oxford University Press :smile: