Guest House Closures

Gonzo the Face

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading the many reports that tourism in Chiang Mai is booming. The hotels and guest houses are fully booked for months ahead at a time, the bars are teeming with customers with beautiful girls, music and beers in abundance and the rich Chinese are poring in, in their thousands spending like there is no tomorrow.

Although not witnessed any of this myself, I`ve seen it all on the Internet, so it must be true.

A friend of mine sold up in the south and went back to UK but only because of increase of values and with the profit could buy a nice house in UK.

All I see are guesthouses opening , not closing. Even 200 could be the total amount of Chinese owned ones. I can think of a good few off hand.

The only way you could check it out was if you had names of places closed.

2 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

The word I got was about 200

thats a big number to be   closed, where did u get the word from, ???

of course, u cannot tell, where the source came from,

Why

Total  B/S

its a Patti Smith good evening to all

Edited by evenstevens

The inspectors were putting pressure on a friend, they were threatening to change his guest house to a hotel which would have required a fire escape and a few other expensive upgrades. He negotiated and they decided he was a guest house.. The biggest fiasco is the hotel/ condominum on Nimann across from Maya. The owner built as a condo opened as a hotel city shut him down

47 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The inspectors were putting pressure on a friend, they were threatening to change his guest house to a hotel which would have required a fire escape and a few other expensive upgrades. He negotiated and they decided he was a guest house.. The biggest fiasco is the hotel/ condominum on Nimann across from Maya. The owner built as a condo opened as a hotel city shut him down

You mean this one?

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/eastin-tan-chiang-mai.en-gb.html?aid=311984;label=eastin-tan-chiang-mai-vjTobb7Be7WOf8zj2arH4wS162172792940%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-92736784028%3Alp1012742%3Ali%3Adet%3Adm;sid=c45d6f2b09e08ca9d94a9e7fd1a61fec;ucfs=1;room1=A,A;dest_type=city;dest_id=-3247115;srfid=8e01b3ffe6712fb9a3a1e155b63a3f0815779964X1

46 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

no just calling a spade a spade,

to recap

O/P  asked for any confirmation if any guest house, in C/mai  being forced to close ,for not being able to acquire a hotel licience

and followed up posting a number of 200 have been closed by his sources (Word)

till now,  no  member  has given any shred of evidence on this thread,  to  support  that this  indeed ,  has happen, in C/mai

not even one guest house , let alone 2OO,  as I  posted y/day  that is a big number to be closed

so who is bull dusting who,  ,instead of rubbishing  my post with the above comments,take a good look at yourself, no wonder Maerim Plaza was not your fit

its a Gary Puckett and The Union Gap ,late evening to all

Not "closed down" [yet] ,but being looked at..  

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai district chief Preecha Sirinam has admitted that 198 hotels in the downtown area of the city are operating without a license.

Many have been contacted but some are still refusing orders to register their businesses at district offices. Some of these have Chinese people as nominees, he said .

The city is mounting a crackdown on hotels as part of government and Interior Ministry policy to tighten up the trade and thereby improve safety for guests, Thairath reported.

Edited by happyas

I find it difficult to take in that 200 CM guest houses or hotels could be shut down, but to put it mildly, this would not surprise me if it happened.

No one in their right mind would think about either opening a bar, a guest house/hotel or a cafe/restaurant in Chiang Mai. Considering that new regulations could be imposed at a moments notice, I wouldn`t even take over any of these types of businesses for free, it must be a nightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update on this.... anyone seen or heard of any of their neighborhood guesthouses being shut or unable to rent nightly?   What about condos renting nightly.   What about homestays, or boarding rooms?  I can tell you firsthand that its hit me.  Just wondering if there are any others.

w

Our great and wonderful municipal brain trust,   It gets down to most guest houses do not have hotel licenses.   I have tried now for over 20 years, but to get a hotel license you need to provide architectual drawings  and most guest houses like mine. built maybe 90-100 years ago just never had such an animal.  Typical Thai fashion, they pass a law that sounds good, but never look into the details.  Thats why I was asking if anyone knew of other guest house being shut down.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

29 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

In the real world, the civilized world that is, when a law like is passed that would have a possible negative effect on so many they would grandfather in those operating prior to then law going into effect.   But this is Thailand...nuff said

How can we help, what do you need, there's loads of CM posters willing to help if you can steer it all?

54 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

How can we help, what do you need, there's loads of CM posters willing to help if you can steer it all?

54 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Simoh1490 ????  are you sure you are on the right forum ????  I must say that was a very un -TV thing to say, but it just may restore my belief in humanity.  More seriously , if you get the chance please stop by.  Be good to put a face to that offer.

On 13/04/2017 at 10:37 AM, moe666 said:

And so it should happen.

Many of these cheap stay guest houses are potential death traps. Upstairs rooms with no windows, no fire escapes and only way out the building is via a staircase leading to the main entrance. If in the event of a fire there could be no escape. 

8 hours ago, cmsally said:

Crikey if we carry on like this, we will be known as the "nice forum".

I will be in touch Gonzo, maybe simoh would like to join us !

I'm happy to join in and help with whatever can be done,somebody needs to steer me though otherwise I'll be running round in circles!

I'll stop by and see John by Monday, anything other than that, folks can PM me.