Songkran 2017: More accidents, fewer deaths on first day of dangerous week

webfact

Be careful driving...anyplace in the world

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

• Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year...about 100 a day
  • An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
  • Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
  • Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
  • Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

• Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
  • More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the league tables

38 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

33 deaths is about half the normal average number of deaths per day (generally reported to be about 70) over the rest of the year. that is very impressive, almost hard to believe really.

Absolutely correct.  Just another normal day on the roads in paradise really.

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

They are only just warming up ! Wait for tomorrows figures. Over 93,000 nicked in 1 day ! Thats incredible. I hope the increased number of check points and publicity will make a difference, but I doubt it.

Dont worry out of those 93,000 who will actually pay their fines

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

They are only just warming up ! Wait for tomorrows figures. Over 93,000 nicked in 1 day ! Thats incredible. I hope the increased number of check points and publicity will make a difference, but I doubt it.

What's alarming is the number of people driving unable to produce a driving licence...

I hope the police take appropriate action with them, not just the usual fine & let them get back in the driving seat to complete their journey...

I say this because last week I attended a driver licensing office & most of the exam takers failed to get the required points to re-new their licence. I asked what will they do, they just shrugged their shoulders, some said they would come back & try again, others said they would just keep driving.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

What's alarming is the number of people driving unable to produce a driving licence...

I hope the police take appropriate action with them, not just the usual fine & let them get back in the driving seat to complete their journey...

I say this because last week I attended a driver licensing office & most of the exam takers failed to get the required points to re-new their licence. I asked what will they do, they just shrugged their shoulders, some said they would come back & try again, others said they would just keep driving.

200 baht will change the policeman views after he pulls them up Hear no evil see no evil right

Yesterday i was pulled up at a red light waiting for the green one. The light turned green and i started to move all of sudden a van cut me off he had just come through a red light so i blasted him with my car horn Guess what? It was a police van that cut me off

As has already been pointed out, the figures are taken from police records and only record those people who were pronounced dead at the scne of the accident.

The annual statistics, which will include other victims of the accident, who died later from their injuries, are presumably obtained from the coroners based upon the death certificates that were issued later.

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The number of accidents on Tuesday increased while deaths and injuries decreased..."

All they probably did was NOT declare the victims dead or injured until they left the scene in an ambulance and arrived at the hospital. Unless the deaths and injuries are recorded at the scene of the crash site, they are not listed as a traffic deaths or injuries. A sneaky way to manipulate the statistics to meet the needs of the government.

be very careful, truth hurts, you are busting the big boys.

Not very surprising that the No.1 cause of deaths and injuries was drunk driving (45.4 percent). But odd that the prime time for accidents is between 4 pm and 8 pm.That seems very early for anyone to be three sheets to the wind.

Does anyone have a theory about this - or why the official stats don't reveal the gender of the the majority of drunk drivers? Having lived here a while, I'll wager most of the boozed-up idiots are men - who should be named and shamed. Better for them to lose face than their victims to lose life and limb.

could mean more seatbelts and helmets being worn and maybe slower speeds, hopefully this will be a trend and not a dip.

the figures are dreadful and the fact that, faced with this information, no one in the country is prepared to get serious and do anything to improve the situation.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Nope, they  will claim their enforcement of seatbelt wearing has led to fewer deaths and shout it triumphantly............ more  accidents = they still drive like <deleted>, Thais  will assume   better amulets =fewer deaths

Lets see how  much they can suppress the real figures to meet their agenda

It will not be for lack of trying

21 minutes ago, Mosha said:

On tv CH 24 True, in Chonburi, they are putting dirty engine oil in plastic bags, and throwing them at traffic and passers by.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

According to some Songkran gung hoers on here its just all clean fun. Must be time for the "a few rotten apples" defence.

22 minutes ago, Mosha said:

On tv CH 24 True, in Chonburi, they are putting dirty engine oil in plastic bags, and throwing them at traffic and passers by.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

You open the door and the idiots come pouring through. 

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

All they probably did was NOT declare the victims dead or injured until they left the scene in an ambulance and arrived at the hospital. Unless the deaths and injuries are recorded at the scene of the crash site, they are not listed as a traffic deaths or injuries. A sneaky way to manipulate the statistics to meet the needs of the government.

This is not correct. I don't how many times I've read this falsehood on this forum. No doubt started by one person then passed on down the line year after year.

Read the correct facts here: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

You'll find it under the heading:  The following are some of the statistics about deaths from the combined seven days:

6 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Nicked 26000 for no helmets, I could do that in the main Rd of Hua Hin every few hours every day.

Maybe 1000 a day in my soi alone.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Drunk driving was the most common cause of road accidents at 45.4 per cent, followed by speeding at 24.9 per cent,

And there you have it: 70%

Stop passing laws about people riding in the back of pickups.

Start focusing on enforcing drunk driving and speeding laws.

Finding traffic regulations at a check points. Sure, that definitely will identify speeding, lane infractions, tailgating and all other moving violations. Why can't they see that nation-wide patrolling is needed?

Every year they come up with these doctored, cockamamie statistics. In one year, about 30,000 people die in Thai traffic. Which means an average of about 82 deaths each day. And yet every year the official death toll during these dangerous days is substantially lower. What a crock!

Edited by rudi49jr

11 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Kind of a lame excuse.  Isn't your license waterproof?  Doesn't it come out of your wallet?  

Not an excuse at all. 

But you seem to have missed the point. Focusing on people carrying their licence during the festival of drenching is a pretty lame excuse for making people safer on the roads.