extending O-A visa with a border run

I have an O-A multiple entry visa based on retirement, my visa expires May 11th, My plan is to do a border run first week of May to Cambodia, Phsar Prom, not sure of spelling, I live 30 km east of Rayong, close to Sukhumvit 3 , so I am thinking that this is my best choice, I will be driving myself, is there parking on the Thai side?, will I be able to do an in and out?, will I need to show 20,000 baht in my pocket? should I bring a photo for visa on the cambodian side, or will I just get an in and out stamp, cost on Cambodian side, heard there were agents on the border that will take care of you, worth using? Last question, will I get a one year permission to stay on the Thai side when re-entering? Any input on this will be greatly appreciated, this is my first time doing this, in the future I will just do it at Rayong immigration.

The crossing you are writing about is often referred to as Ban Pakard. It is located in Amphoe Pong Nam Ron.

No problem to cross, turn around and come back. No need for the 20k baht.

You will need a photo for the visa on arrival for Cambodia. Fee is $30 or about 1200 baht.

You will get a new one year permit to stay when you re-enter the country.

Others may have more info about the crossing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CPH said:

What has changed. Before one would get a 3 month permit to stay upon re entering Thailand with a nearly expired Non Immigrant O

The OP has a non immigrant OA long stay visa that allows a one year permit to stay for each entry to the enter before date on the visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The crossing you are writing about is often referred to as Ban Pakard. It is located in Amphoe Pong Nam Ron.

You will need a photo for the visa on arrival for Cambodia. Fee is $30 or about 1200 baht.

Thank You Joe, you are the best, Happy New Year

some say that if you DIY then another 300 baht for same day return added to Ubonjoe's 1,200 baht making a total of 1,500 baht, There is an Agent at the border just after exiting Thailand they will do everything , i think its  1,700 baht,

• Like 1

OP - don't forget that you'll need to obtain a re-entry permit in order to keep your second 1-year permission to stay alive should you have any further plans to travel out of Thailand during its validity period.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct.. I just did this myself crossing to Laos and returning directly.. I always carry 2 or 3 extra photos in my passport for times like this..  you shouldn't have any problems..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

some say that if you DIY then another 300 baht for same day return. There is an Agent at the border just after exiting Thailand they will do everything , i think its  1,700 baht,

An agent for what? The visa on arrival in Cambodia? Why would that have anything to do with "same day return?" He has a valid Thai visa so he can return immediately.

6 hours ago, CPH said:

What has changed. Before one would get a 3 month permit to stay upon re entering Thailand with a nearly expired Non Immigrant O

Did you read what he wrote? He has an non-imm O-A.

7 hours ago, flexomike said:

I have an O-A multiple entry visa based on retirement,

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

An agent for what? The visa on arrival in Cambodia? Why would that have anything to do with "same day return?" He has a valid Thai visa so he can return immediately.

have you done a border run to ban pakard recently,  

yes he can return immediately, as long as someone issues the visa and stamps his passport in Cambodia. that's where the 300 baht comes in, the 'agents' just does all the running around, while you sit and chill out.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

An agent is not really necessary. However, there is one little known rule that is important to appreciate, and the reason you are often asked for money on the Cambodian side for same day return. Cambodian immigration law says that if entering at a land border, you must stay at least one night in Cambodia before returning. As a practical matter, I have been able to avoid paying, but Cambodian immigration will typically ask for 300 baht.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flexomike said:

have an O-A multiple entry visa based on retirement, my visa expires May 11th, My plan is to do a border run first week of May to Cambodia, Phsar Prom, not sure of spelling, I live 30 km east of Rayong, close to Sukhumvit 3 , so I am thinking that this is my best choice, I will be driving myself, is there parking on the Thai side?, will I be able to do an in and out?, will I need to show 20,000 baht in my pocket? should I bring a photo for visa on the cambodian side, or will I just get an in and out stamp, cost on Cambodian side, heard there were agents on the border that will take care of you, worth using? Last question, will I get a one year permission to stay on the Thai side when re-entering? Any input on this will be greatly appreciated, this is my first time doing this, in the future I will just do it at Rayong immigration.

i have done this, not to save on the 800k baht for an extra year, but  was not happy about the date i would have to renew my extension every year.

You do not need 20k baht 

yes they will charge you an extra 200 or 300 baht to come straight back actually on the reciept

they will take your photo there 100 baht approximately

There are lots of touts/agents about that will do the paperwork for you. (its not hard to do it yourself but much simpler, Someone has stated 1,200 baht, i paid 300 baht.for young boys help ( he asked for nothing) Better you ask the cost first

I also had to pay immigration officer an additional 200 baht tea money maybe tout was working for them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

i have done this, not to save on the 800k baht for an extra year, but  was not happy about the date i would have to renew my extension every year.

If you have a multi entry type Visa, you don't have to wait until near expiry to apply for an extension.

You can apply within the last 30 days of any of the 90 day permission to stay periods.

4 hours ago, Dene16 said:

You do not need 20k baht 

yes they will charge you an extra 200 or 300 baht to come straight back actually on the reciept

they will take your photo there 100 baht approximately

There are lots of touts/agents about that will do the paperwork for you. (its not hard to do it yourself but much simpler, Someone has stated 1,200 baht, i paid 300 baht.for young boys help ( he asked for nothing) Better you ask the cost first

I also had to pay immigration officer an additional 200 baht tea money maybe tout was working for them

if you go early may you will be stamped in until may 2018, you will only be allowed to do an extension for one year 30 days (maybe 45 days at some offices) prior to this date, so April 2018

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dentonian said:

If you have a multi entry type Visa, you don't have to wait until near expiry to apply for an extension.

You can apply within the last 30 days of any of the 90 day permission to stay periods.

the op has a non imm 'O'A' visa so will get a permission to stay stamp of 365 days

16 hours ago, steve187 said:

have you done a border run to ban pakard recently,  

yes he can return immediately, as long as someone issues the visa and stamps his passport in Cambodia. that's where the 300 baht comes in, the 'agents' just does all the running around, while you sit and chill out.

Hi Steve

I am very interested in what you are discussing about. Ive been here 3 years and normally renew our annual non-immigrant O-A visa through an agent here and the price is of course much more than the border run.

How do you solve the bank letter of BHT800,000 which is the main requirement for renewing the 1 year visa?

10 minutes ago, Lanco said:

I am very interested in what you are discussing about. Ive been here 3 years and normally renew our annual non-immigrant O-A visa through an agent here and the price is of course much more than the border run.

How do you solve the bank letter of BHT800,000 which is the main requirement for renewing the 1 year visa?

You don't have a OA visa. They cannot be applied for here. You apparently have a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have a OA visa. They cannot be applied for here. You apparently have a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration.

We came here 4 years ago with an non-immigrant visa and have since then renew twice through an agent.  Do you mean we cant do the border run if we are having a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration?

48 minutes ago, Lanco said:

We came here 4 years ago with an non-immigrant visa and have since then renew twice through an agent.  Do you mean we cant do the border run if we are having a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration?

If you did a border run without a re-entry permit you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry. With a re-entry permit you would get the same permit to stay date you  had when you left the country.

Only a valid non-oa visa issued by an embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence would allow a new one year entry.

• Like 1

There are 2 crossings at Pong Nam Ron. Ban Pakard and Ban Laem. I think Ban Laem is the better, There is a large rest area with parking and toilets directly opposite immigration. There is also a much larger market area.

I think it is best to make a clockwise loop, if you go past Ban Pakard to Ban Laem it is easy to miss the turning. Better to go straight through the lights and then turn right at the sign for the border market. About 20 Km turn left to the border. On the way back turn left at that junction and follow the road back to the traffic lights.

The road is much better now so should be about 2 hours from Rayong. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

the op has a non imm 'O'A' visa so will get a permission to stay stamp of 365 days

Each permission to stay is only valid 90 days then he either reports staying longer than 90 days at an Immigration office (90 day report) or exits and re-enters the Country to reset the next 90 day permission to stay.

He can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of those 90 day permission to stays.

7 hours ago, Lanco said:

You cannot extend a Visa.

After the last entry on your O-A Visa, it expired on the 'enter before' date.

You are now extending your permission to stay each year, either based on retirement or marriage.

If you have the required funds, you don't need an agent and can do the extension yourself for 1,900 baht.

You need a re-entry permit if you want to leave the Country and keep your extension valid.

Otherwise you will get a 30 day Visa exempt entry on re-entry and your extension is now invalid.

Re-entry permits are 1,000BHT single entry, 3,800BHT multiple entries.

Edited by dentonian

44 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no he does not get a 90 permission to stay stamp, he gets a 1 year permission to stay stamp, he therefore has to do a 90 day report, as there is no need to leave the country after 90 days, he can choose to do a border run, where if the non imm 'O'A' visa has not expired he will get a fresh 1 year permission to stay stamp, if the non imm 'O'A' has expired he will need a re-entry permit to keep his last 1 year permission to stay stamp 'alive'

you are mixing up non immigrant visa type 'O' multi entry with a non immigrant visa type 'O' A' multi entry

you are also mixing up 90 day reports and 90 day permission to stay stamp, you posted '' Each permission to stay is only valid 90 days''

it isn't each permission to stay on a non imm 'O' A' visa is valid for 1 year.

Where did I say he got a 90 day stamp?

Each entry is valid 1 year up to the 'enter before' date.

He is still subject to Immigration law, which states;

If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

He could of course reset his next 90 day report by exiting and re-entering the Country but would need a re-entry permit after the 'enter before' date expires.

I'm not confusing Visas. You must leave and re-enter with the Non Imm O ME.

The O-A is more flexible and allows the choice of how to obtain another 90 days permission to stay.

How long your permitted to stay is not determined by the Visa, (which only allows the right to enter), but by the Countries Immigration laws. With the O-A he can stay up to 1 year subject to making 90 day reports, same as most of us. on extension of stay.

Edited by dentonian

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

You cannot extend a Visa.

After the last entry on your O-A Visa, it expired on the 'enter before' date.

You are now extending your permission to stay each year, either based on retirement or marriage.

If you have the required funds, you don't need an agent and can do the extension yourself for 1,900 baht.

You need a re-entry permit if you want to leave the Country and keep your extension valid.

Otherwise you will get a 30 day Visa exempt entry on re-entry and your extension is now invalid.

Re-entry permits are 1,000BHT single entry, 3,800BHT multiple entries.

Thank you for your info.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you did a border run without a re-entry permit you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry. With a re-entry permit you would get the same permit to stay date you  had when you left the country.

Only a valid non-oa visa issued by an embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence would allow a new one year entry.

Hi Joe

Thanks so much for your info.  

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Yesterday 27th Oct., i did a visa run from Koh Samui to SATUN Malaysia ( All day mini bus run). 

I hold an O-A which expires on Dec 9th., but being well over 70 i a concerned that Thai Immigration will want the mandatory health insurance on this visa from 31st Oct., when i present for the 12 month extension stamp. So i made the decision to 'jump the new rule'  forgo 1 month of my O-A   and go early to check out and back in through Thai Immigration, thus getting another 12 months without having to produce the insurance which i think i would have to show after 31st.,   Heart in mouth i passed through Malaysian Immigration and back to Thai Immigration Inward, i had been promised all sorts of penalties by the FB ' lower deck lawyers'   like having to produce Bht 20000, being arrested for x number of days, refused entry an so on.

When i got to the window  the "wheels started to fall off"  The IO took about 5 mins scrolling through my PP then scanning it, referring to his puter getting finger and thumb prints of me , getting me to pose for camera. He then called his boss out  who went through the procedure once again, chatting to each other ( really getting worried by now) then a third , rather senior looking IO appeared, did the bloody lot again and then just stamped me back for 12 months,  Whew thinks i.  So i asked him what is the problem as i have never had any trouble in 14 years, but am concerned about the new Health insurance rule coming on 31st with this O-A visa.

He told me that they were suspicious as i was going for border crossing more than  month early when everybody else waited until a couple of days before the expiration date, so why was i going early ? He also said " we have no instructions about Health Insurance on 31st"  who tell you that. Smiled and walked away.

Anyhow i am at this moment happy but shattered by the Mini Bus run, 4 am to 10.30 pm from home and back. Also the speeds of up to 140 klm. We only had one accident all day and almost missed the last ferry back to Samui from Donsak.   i think the Yanks have something like it there called Indy racing. lololol