Denied entry (TR) at Suvarnabhumi - no stamp - options?

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So, you don't need to bother with 20,000 baht but equivalent USD,GBP,EUR etc is sufficient?

Yes, this was in a FAQ page on the Thai immigration site - though the link now appears to be broken.

5 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

OP stated he's been staying in Thailand for the last 3-4 years. I just looked for a definition of "tourist" in various online dictionaries -  none of which would consider a person staying such a long time in 1 place as a tourist. Entering a country on a tourist visa does not make a person tourist - just as a man does not become a woman just by wearing women's cloths.... 

Each entry into Thailand is independent - he has clearly not been here continuously.  If you can cite Thai law or rules which define the length of time per/year a person can visit with a Tourist Visa, please do.  Please do not cite the now-defunct police-order regarding visa-exempts, which is no longer the law for many years.  Even within English, definitions of words and legal/law differ (Blacks Law vs Cambridge Dictionary).  All that is relevant, here, is what the laws and Police Orders in effect state.  

The 20K baht rule is on the books, so people must abide by it's arbitrary application. 

New rules could be created at any time by the authorities - some predict these are in the pipeline (and have for years), but no proof has has yet been forthcoming to this effect.

If aliens are violating labor or other laws, or lying to immigration personnel, arrests and prosecutions for Those Violations are in order.  If evidence of such exists, arrest for violation(s) would be the proper response - not denial of entry to a person with a valid visa.  One cannot "prove a negative," so an affirmative case must be made to show any violations of law.

5 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Gosh - you are so full of yourself.... Thai lost their jobs? The OP supported Thais?? by what? There are about 70 million Thais living in Thailand. Most of them have nothing to do with tourists (real or not). Do you really think the Thai economy collapse if all those who abuse the system and stay here on wrong visas leave Thailand for good??

Foreign-sourced "tourist" capital is a large percent of the Thai GDP.  Each foreign-person living in Thailand spending foreign-sourced capital here brings in several Thai salaries worth each month.  What will happen when those funds don't come in?  Will the govt print money to pay their salaries?  Will they be sent back to farms to live hand-to-mouth?  Consider the families being directly aided, as well as all the businesses supported by the foreign-capital-reserves flowing into the Thai economy.  I would suggest these contributions are no small thing, or the rules would have been changed already.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

OP stated he's been staying in Thailand for the last 3-4 years. I just looked for a definition of "tourist" in various online dictionaries -  none of which would consider a person staying such a long time in 1 place as a tourist. Entering a country on a tourist visa does not make a person tourist - just as a man does not become a woman just by wearing women's cloths.... 

Gosh - you are so full of yourself.... Thai lost their jobs? The OP supported Thais?? by what? There are about 70 million Thais living in Thailand. Most of them have nothing to do with tourists (real or not). Do you really think the Thai economy collapse if all those who abuse the system and stay here on wrong visas leave Thailand for good??

TAT is promoting TOURISM as which is defined as

"

tourist

(ˈtʊərɪst)

n
a. a person who travels for pleasure, usually sightseeing and staying in hotels
b. (as modifier): tourist attractions.
2. a person on an excursion or sightseeing tour
3. (General Sporting Terms) a person travelling abroad as a member of a sports team that is playing a series ofusually international matches

"

This is from thefreedictionary.com - other online dictionaries have similar definitions. The lady in question works for the immigration department and her job is to screen those who come into this country and distinguish between REAL tourist and fake ones. Seems to me she has done a good job in this case....

So a traveler who got the money to be a tourist for the rest of his life, is a fake tourist? Are there any international laws saying for how long time you are allowed to be a tourist? Don't think so. Can not agree with that this lady working for the immigration department has done a good job after telling this travelers that he is not welcome here. She definitely got a attitude problem, she should have informed him instead of getting an Elite visa or an other option for him to stay here with his Thai lady.   

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

This is from thefreedictionary.com - other online dictionaries have similar definitions. The lady in question works for the immigration department and her job is to screen those who come into this country and distinguish between REAL tourist and fake ones. Seems to me she has done a good job in this case....

Wiki has a different definition for international tourism.

International tourism refers to tourism that crosses national borders. Globalization has made tourism a popular global leisure activity. The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people "traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes".[1] The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that up to 500,000 people are in flight at any one time.[2]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_tourism

9 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

So a traveler who got the money to be a tourist for the rest of his life, is a fake tourist? Are there any international laws saying for how long time you are allowed to be a tourist? Don't think so. Can not agree with that this lady working for the immigration department has done a good job after telling this travelers that he is not welcome here. She definitely got a attitude problem, she should have informed him instead of getting an Elite visa or an other option for him to stay here with his Thai lady.   

Agree with them, disagree with them.  It matters not.  

The trend has been to clamp down on long term use of tourist status to become a de-facto resident of Thailand.  Residents, as defined by the Thai taxing authorities, are people who spend over 180 days a year in country.  Which, BTW, requires the resident pay income tax on their income from within and outside of Thailand.  Which could be real scary if they decide to enforce that rule on retirees and married guys who use their income to qualify for their long term extensions of stay.  I have no clue whether that will ever happen (and I believe it's a real bad idea), but it factors into my retirement decisions.  I'm not going to stake my retirement savings at that kind of risk.  Eventually, immigration and the tax authorities will probably start talking to each other.

Bottom line, although we'd like to believe we qualify to rock up and live wherever we want on whatever visa we can get, that's just not true.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mgb said:

@impulse

What do you think the double tax agreements are good for?

Great for creating cracks to slip between.  I know many guys in my line of work (offshore, rotational oil and gas) who live in Thailand on their off rotations so they're not tax residents in their home countries, and they pay no income taxes in Thailand.  Also lots of day traders who make a good living from their bedroom in Thailand, have their earnings deposited into their home country (where they're not tax residents) and pay no income taxes anywhere.  That's not even broaching the touchy subject of digital nomads who cultivate their blogs from Thailand and pay no taxes anywhere.

If only it worked for Americans.  Sigh.

Edit:  BTW, off topic, I know.  But people thinking of moving to Thailand should consider the trends and possibilities- not just the way it is today.  And the trend hasn't been favorable for living long term without the appropriate visa- which may and may not be available to everyone in every set of circumstances.  I've known dozens and known of hundreds of guys who had to leave Thailand over the 6 years I've been here when their little loophole slammed shut.

Edited by impulse

43 minutes ago, impulse said:

Residents, as defined by the Thai taxing authorities, are people who spend over 180 days a year in country.  Which, BTW, requires the resident pay income tax on their income from within and outside of Thailand. ...

Only if the income is remitted to Thailand in the same year it is earned.  Mine isn't, so I don't owe taxes here.  Your retirement / income isn't at risk if you follow this simple rule. 

OTOH, if they'd give me a visa to do so, I'd gladly move my offshore business here, and pay taxes on that and personal income here, instead of the USA - but this is not an option, so I do not send this year's earnings here. 

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

although we'd like to believe we qualify to rock up and live wherever we want on whatever visa we can get, that's just not true.

We get the visas we qualify for, and enter the country using them.  No harm done or laws broken.  They can change the laws / rules at any time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Agree with them, disagree with them.  It matters not.  

The trend has been to clamp down on long term use of tourist status to become a de-facto resident of Thailand.  Residents, as defined by the Thai taxing authorities, are people who spend over 180 days a year in country.  Which, BTW, requires the resident pay income tax on their income from within and outside of Thailand.  Which could be real scary if they decide to enforce that rule on retirees and married guys who use their income to qualify for their long term extensions of stay.  I have no clue whether that will ever happen (and I believe it's a real bad idea), but it factors into my retirement decisions.  I'm not going to stake my retirement savings at that kind of risk.  Eventually, immigration and the tax authorities will probably start talking to each other.

Bottom line, although we'd like to believe we qualify to rock up and live wherever we want on whatever visa we can get, that's just not true.  

In the 80's I had to pay tax if I stayed more than 180 days in a calendar year in Thailand (think it was 7%) on the money I declared that I spent in Thailand. If you had no tax clearance you could not leave Thailand.

On 4/13/2017 at 3:38 PM, stoicccc said:

I decided to book the Finnair flight to Helsinki tomorrow morning and roll with it. Stay back home for a while, get a fresh passport, new TR visa and come to Thailand again and get married finally, should have done a while ago already. Hopefully that'll work out. 

In addition to the new passport and TR visa, make sure that you have at least 20,000 THB (or EUR equivalent) in cash on you when you do attempt another return into LOS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

In the 80's I had to pay tax if I stayed more than 180 days in a calendar year in Thailand (think it was 7%) on the money I declared that I spent in Thailand. If you had no tax clearance you could not leave Thailand.

My nightmare is hitting immigration on departure and being presented a bill for the calculated income tax based on what I claimed for income to qualify for the extension of stay- or what my blog should have brought in based on the number of hits it got.  (Full disclosure- I'm on a WP now, so neither one is currently an issue for me- but if I retire here...)  It's not here yet, but the way computers, networks and data mining are getting more and more intrusive, I could see it coming in my lifetime.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

We get the visas we qualify for, and enter the country using them.  No harm done or laws broken.  They can change the laws / rules at any time.

And that's my point.  Though a little late to help the OP, there are others reading in who are in exactly the same situation the OP was in 3 years ago when he started his Thailand adventure.  Back then, his was a reasonable plan.  Today, it's probably not as attractive.  Next year, who knows?

When I arrived a scant 6 years ago, I met dozens of guys who had spent millions of baht on homes and cars and boats, and lived from border run to border run.  Many had families and/or girlfriends and it was heartbreaking to see them lose it all when their loopholes closed up and they could no longer do border runs, then their ED visa schemes tightened up, and finally they realized they couldn't afford to stay.  In fact, many of them would still be enjoying all that Thailand has to offer had they spent their dosh to get an Elite Visa instead of that new sports car and the the house for the GF, only to realize they were now strapped for cash.

If anyone's considering a move to Thailand, great!  But please be smart about it, and accept that the number of hoops and cost of jumping through those hoops may go up.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Interesting thread, I also had problems for the first time ever at Suvarnabhumi last weekend. Been staying in Thailand for about 5 months, both TR visa+extension and exemption+extension. Stupidly enough I did a same-day visa exemption run to KL and back (to Suvarnabhumi). After looking at my passport for a minute, the immigration officer started shaking his head, asked how long I was staying and started conferring with his colleague next to him. Funny thing, he didn't even understand the outbound ticket was a flight to Australia with a transit in Singapore, his reaction was "You live in Singapore?".

Anyway, eventually he called an immigration lady who led me of to another booth and explained the problem with staying on visa exemptions in a nice and calm manner, and let me off with the warning that next time I should stay out of Thailand at least a few days and get a proper tourist visa. No mention of any 20000 baht. My friend who has the exact same in/out stamps in his passport didn't have any trouble whatsoever, they didn't even ask him anything when I had to call him over because he had the outbound tickets in his bag.

So I'm going home to my country in June and had been planning on going back to Thailand in the fall, about september or so. I was thinking I should get a new passport while in Sweden (I know it will be connected to the old one in their computer system, but at least it looks better when just glancing through the pages). I also thought I should get a 6 months multiple entry Visa. But seeing this thread made me worried that the multiple entry visa might not help much? And if I don't have any trouble getting into Thailand on it - might I have trouble coming back if I go out? I mean it is a multiple entry visa, but from the looks of it the mood of the immigration officer might override all of the above...?

Another thing I've been thinking about - what about appearance? I was well dressed with jeans and a proper shirt. Maybe I'd be better off getting one of those awful Chang tank tops and a pair of Billabong shorts, to look like a "real" tourist...?

Edited by BadCash

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

And that's my point.  Though a little late to help the OP, there are others reading in who are in exactly the same situation the OP was in 3 years ago when he started his Thailand adventure.  Back then, his was a reasonable plan.  Today, it's probably not as attractive.  Next year, who knows?

When I arrived a scant 6 years ago, I met dozens of guys who had spent millions of baht on homes and cars and boats, and lived from border run to border run.  Many had families and/or girlfriends and it was heartbreaking to see them lose it all when their loopholes closed up and they could no longer do border runs, then their ED visa schemes tightened up, and finally they realized they couldn't afford to stay.  In fact, many of them would still be enjoying all that Thailand has to offer had they spent their dosh to get an Elite Visa instead of that new sports car and the the house for thew GF, only to realize they were now strapped for cash.

If anyone's considering a move to Thailand, great!  But please be smart about it, and accept that the number of hoops and cost of jumping through those hoops may go up.

Those guys could move all but their ladies to Cambodia (only because Thai ladies won't live there).  Why did the ED visas stop working?  Recent reports say 20K / yr tuition + 3K to 5K per 90-days for the immigration-payoff (reason for the 'crackdown' was tea-money), and change languages every 18 months.  Do get a new passport when you are done with ED visas, though.  Immigration hates those visas.

TR visas also still working for many - for years - myself included.  Just avoid airports and Poipet and have your 20K Baht in cash. 

I wish I had come here when I was younger - not wasted so many of my best years in the West.  If I was young now, I'd definitely do it even now - and ride it for as long as I could.  Very true though re: "who knows" about tomorrow.  Buying homes or condos not recommended in this environment.  If I had the $$ to spend for the Elite, I'd just do the investment visa - 10M Baht in the bank - and renew that forever.  If things go bad later, I'd take my money and leave.

14 minutes ago, BadCash said:

...  But seeing this thread made me worried that the multiple entry visa might not help much? And if I don't have any trouble getting into Thailand on it - might I have trouble coming back if I go out? I mean it is a multiple entry visa, but from the looks of it the mood of the immigration officer might override all of the above...?

Thank you for relating your experience at the airport.  Glad they were professional (it seems) in your case.  You should have no problem with the METV.  I'd avoid airports and/or stay out a few days on each leave/return.  A new passport cannot hurt.  But have that 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks every single time, and some story for what you are planning to do.

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Why did the ED visas stop working?  Recent reports say 20K / yr tuition + 3K to 5K per 90-days for the immigration-payoff (reason for the 'crackdown' was tea-money), and change languages every 18 months.  Do get a new passport when you are done with ED visas, though.  Immigration hates those visas.

Call me a wimp, but the idea of crafting an existence for myself that requires quarterly illegal payoffs to dodgy officials (fickle ones at that) isn't my cuppa.

I don't claim to be an expert on ED visas, but I do have an apartment full of goodies I've purchased from guys whose visa loopholes became untenable for them- a few of them on ED visas.  Mountain bikes, a kayak, exercise equipment, kite surfing rigs, golf clubs, computers, a scooter and a pickup truck.  All from guys (and a gal) who could no longer afford to stay in Thailand.  Each one with a sad tale of giving up the dream.

Edited by impulse

39 minutes ago, BadCash said:

So I'm going home to my country in June and had been planning on going back to Thailand in the fall, about september or so. I was thinking I should get a new passport while in Sweden (I know it will be connected to the old one in their computer system, but at least it looks better when just glancing through the pages). I also thought I should get a 6 months multiple entry Visa. But seeing this thread made me worried that the multiple entry visa might not help much?

making a trip to your home country and getting the appropriate visa there is the best thing you can do to 'clear your record'.  i got stopped 5 or so years ago.  told to use more tourist visas and less visa exempt entries.  for the next 5 years, i got every tourist visa in my home country (USA) and stayed out of thailand 3-4 months/yr (some of that was in nearby countries).  i continued to do a couple visa exempts per year.  i was never stopped again.  if going to home country and staying awhile is somewhat convenient, it is the easy choice to allow you problem free entry on tourist visas.

Just now, impulse said:

Call me a wimp, but the idea of crafting an existence for myself that requires quarterly illegal payoffs to dodgy officials (fickle ones at that) isn't my cuppa.

I don't claim to be an expert on ED visas, but I do have an apartment full of goodies I've purchased from guys whose visa loopholes became untenable for them- a few of them on ED visas.  Mountain bikes, a kayak, exercise equipment, kite surfing rigs, golf clubs, a scooter and a pickup truck.  All from guys (and a gal) who could no longer afford to stay in Thailand.  Each one with a sad tale of giving up the dream.

I hear you - I'm a whimp too, so don't do the ED visa for this reason.  But it's been this way for years, now.  Prior to that, 1-year ED visas were on offer for 20K, no school involved at all - so the price and complexity did go up.   Corruption in Immigration always seems to open a new hole, when the last one is closed.  I hope TRs stay clean, so I don't have to swim in that mire.

Not sure why the pickup-guy didn't just drive to Cambodia or Vietnam.  Can also bus all that stuff to Phnom Penh / Sihanoukville fairly easily - porters carry it across the border for you from bus to bus.  I'm always ready with a bug-out plan.

I did some reasearch on one of the posters indication that there was a published crackdown coming on entering Thailand multiple times on tourist Visas and living in Thailand on a tourist visa.

There was an article published in the local Pattaya newspaper in February 2017 indicating that Thai Immigration had cracked down on exempt entries especially at land borders restricting entries to 2 per year and that starting in August they would crackdown on people living in Thailand on Tourist Visas. Whether the newspaper was referring to an August 2014 published crackdown or a renewed one is unknown .

It appears to me that if this is correct- they have already started  a 'crackdown' as there have been many reports of people being questioned; some being refused entry; and others being 'counseled' to get the proper visa for long stay- retirement-marriage-elite.

If  I was indeed living in Thailand on Tourist Visa (and thankfully I am not) I would be prepared to answer questions; have sufficient funds in cash on my person; have documentation if married and traveling on a multiple Non O; onward travel booked; proof of income etc. Due to the sheer numbers of people that traverse Swampy- I doubt they could check every person but a quick scan by an IO of someone's passport with multiple stamps could trigger the questions. Also, they can trigger the computer system to immediately alert that a person has multiple tourist Visas.IMHO, the more documentation one has to be able to show lessens the chance of rejection.

I have no inside information and my comments are speculation based on what I read and what is being reported.

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

[...] I doubt they could check every person but a quick scan by an IO of someone's passport with multiple stamps could trigger the questions. Also, they can trigger the computer system to immediately alert that a person has multiple tourist Visas. [...]

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the nice immigration lady who "counceled" me, informed me that their computer system indicated that there was something suspicious going on. I was under the impression that it was most likely the same-day visa run (although I did arrive back just after 00:00). Might have been any number of things though - total time in Thailand this year, number of trips back-and-forth, and so on.

Not sure why the computer system didn't indicate anything for my friend who has had the exact same in/out travels as me though. It might indicate that the immigration officer must actively open something on his computer to be able to see that type of flag.

Another thing I might add was that we arrived in the midst of a huge number of Asian tourists, so immigration was extremely busy at the time, I've rarely seen the queue stretch that far  back. That didn't seem to distract my immigration officer the slightest from taking a good long hard look at my passport. I bet I held up the line for at least 5-7 minutes or so before being led away to another empty booth. So don't expect to be better off with busy immigration lines...

Elite visa is pants unless you're absolutely sure you want to stay in Thailand for 5 years. Sadly., the authorities make it terribly difficult for younger guys to stay here.  They figure you've got to be old to have money, I guess. 

• Like 1

Throughout the years they have tried to limit the number of exempt entries; establish limits on how many days one can stay in Thailand in a 180 day period; put pressure on people with many Tourist Visa; rejct entry; ask for funds..... and the list goes on.  I have the impression that limiting the land entries to 2 per year and also scrutinizing the tourist Visas that a person has will limit the number of people who can work here and reside here without marriage or retirement.

No doubt those under the age of 50 will be most affected unless they purchase a elite Visa. In my opinion- if single- I would never invest that kind of money in Thailand. There are plenty of other places more accommodating and with easier entry and stay requirements. Anything you can find in Thailand- you can find within 500 miles of Thailand.

A friend told me that after about 5 tourist visas and extensions and a few 30 day exempt stamps he goes back to his home country and declares his passport lost and gets a new one. He said he's never been questioned using this method! I asked him that the computer must store a history of his previous passports...he said no it doesn't. New passport, new slate. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

On the one hand I can imagine it being the case with the backwardness of Thai technology and systems but on the other hand it seems stupid!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

A friend told me that after about 5 tourist visas and extensions and a few 30 day exempt stamps he goes back to his home country and declares his passport lost and gets a new one. He said he's never been questioned using this method! I asked him that the computer must store a history of his previous passports...he said no it doesn't. New passport, new slate. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Not correct.

The old and new passport history will be linked the first time the new passport is used for entry. They will be able to see all previous entries, departures and etc.

A new passport only erases the history of visa issued by embassies and consulates.

IMO, the OP set off flags purely because:
-his several previous visa exempt entries (they have hardon against that)
- a previous Ed visa
- the amount of time hes been here.

Then add those isues up..computer flags him, and when he doesnt show the 20k the IOs obviously suspect hes working here, living month to month, as thats basically what they told him.

You cant really blame them..who at that age has savings to live several years as a tourist without working?

In many cases the posters aint gonna admit it, here on a public forum, that they were slumming it as English teachers.

The Thais arent dummies. I figure they gather extra info on your history of passport and i suspect many of these guys being stopped are indeed illegal English teachers working for agencies

1 hour ago, BadCash said:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the nice immigration lady who "counceled" me, informed me that their computer system indicated that there was something suspicious going on. I was under the impression that it was most likely the same-day visa run (although I did arrive back just after 00:00). Might have been any number of things though - total time in Thailand this year, number of trips back-and-forth, and so on.

Not sure why the computer system didn't indicate anything for my friend who has had the exact same in/out travels as me though. It might indicate that the immigration officer must actively open something on his computer to be able to see that type of flag. ...

Perhaps, 6 or more Visa-Exempts ever?  That is one we are aware triggers a warning.  Not sure if you or your friend have this total.  Same day return is not recommended.  Maybe not for Non-O Multiples either, since this week.

26 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Perhaps, 6 or more Visa-Exempts ever?  That is one we are aware triggers a warning.  Not sure if you or your friend have this total.  Same day return is not recommended.  Maybe not for Non-O Multiples either, since this week.

Really!? Never heard that before... I have been coming for short holidays on Visa exemptions at least 10 times during the past 5 years, although it's usually been months in between holidays... I'm sure my friend has a lifetime total of 6 or more visa exemptions as well, although distributed differently (probably the most from 4-5 years ago, while mine are mostly 3-4 years old).