VK Commodore wanted

deeks

Asking for help to find a VK Commodore in Thailand for project. Is an Australian car built by GM Holden in 1984-1985, I found one on the net in BKK last year for B40000 but was already sold. Willing pay a finders fee for a half decent car. I dont want the previous model VH or next model VL. The VH lacks the extra C pillar glass, and the VL has an entirely different nose cone and a rear duck-tail integrated spoiler.

1984-1986_Holden_VK_Commodore_SL_sedan_02.jpg

$_3.JPG

All in the eye, as i said "a project" cheap base price ,easy to import cheap parts, plus I have a knowledge of the vehicle, something different, I like them, less prone to being full of rust like classics, easy to modify at home, bucket loads of aftermarket parts interchangeable between models, simple design. large engine bay, light body,and last if not least because of nostalgia. I had a Brock SS in my early 30's and it was my favorite car.

This vid has one clip at the end showing how American muscle cant turn, Needless to say very few American cars could compete with us in that era, Australian touring cars pumped out more horespower per cubic inch on the local racetrack with the restrictions imposed to keep it at an affordable level, Our roadcars where so close to the racecars, it cost peanuts to modify them to race spec. Now is so differeent, the race teams spend millions of dollars, I wish we could go back 20 years to the same philosophy of win on race day sell on Monday. 

Deeks, the 6 hour production car race at Bathurst is on tomorrow.  The Group 3E regs allow a little less modification than the old group A, basically production cars below $150k with performance mods for racing.  Not identical to the street models but a lot closer than V8 Supercars.

Last year Benz A45, various BMWs and Mitsu Evos all did well until crashes and blow ups.  The Commodore V8s are still in there but slipped down the pack now.  V8 Supercars has probably left them with out much development for racing.  

Interesting to see the Heritage class lead by the old Group A champ, a Sierra Cosworth RS500 doing similar lap times to the current production cars.

I recall that era.It was a time of ,The "WHINGIN OZZIE"bleating about the Cosworth 500 mob run by TWR..,I was there with John Fitzpatrick back then ,fond memories , great post for us crumbling old folk.[emoji481]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, transam said:

No I don't, it was the worse TA they produced. Crap design, crap engine and has T-tops...

The Commodores were family cars same as the Vauxhall, not outstanding in the looks department, but pretty bulletproof in term of reliability.

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The Commodores were family cars same as the Vauxhall, not outstanding in the looks department, but pretty bulletproof in term of reliability.

This is probably the best looking TA, 1970, engines had mid 300hp, which for the era was cool. My photo shows a ride with slightly modified wheel arches for big rubber, did similar to mine. Makes the late TA in your photo look a bit 'orrible.. My chum had a 1971 Pontiac Formula 400 Firebird, which was the same as this without out the scoop, but had twin forward facing scoops from factory facing forward..

trans.jpg.4816f8c52f90eaa7c980f312ba976695.jpg

A good place to start might be Phra Nakorn http://www.pnagroup.com/ourgroup/PNA

They were the main dealers back in the day. In fact I think they were in a joint venture with Holden to partially produce and assemble them in Thailand up to the VP. After that Holden disappeared.

I seem to recall that Holden would send the tools & dies from Aus to Thailand after production ceased. That's why the VN's in Thailand are all from about 91 onward.

Their service centre is on Vivhavadee Rangsit on the right hand side, just before Rachada Pisek heading north. Quite likely that they would know where one is. Might even find a clean one though I don't recall seeing any that weren't already pretty battered up.

19 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Beautiful cars TA, light years above the quirky thing in the OP.

I do however like quirky things too, for their quirkiness.

The early Commodores were based on Opel Rekford & Senator so not particularly quirky for their time. 

Opel_Senator.jpg