Pattaya tunnel remains closed for Songkran

Rimmer

Pattaya tunnel remains closed for Songkran

2Q==
PATTAYA:--Highway officials hit reverse on their plans to open the Central Road bypass tunnel for Songkran, saying safety concerns outweighed the desire to relieve Sukhumvit Road traffic congestion during the Thai New Year.

Hitting the brakes April 5, the Department of Rural Roads said the under-construction tunnel’s security and emergency systems were not ready to handle the near-gridlock crush of cars expected April 9-20.

Roads department construction chief Suraphan Trirach said the security system needs to be tested continuously until it is safe for the highest-volume traffic. There also were fears the many vehicles could damage the tunnel, where the interior still is not complete.

Instead, the department reopened lanes on Sukhumvit Road that have been closed for about two years.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-tunnel-remains-closed-songkran-170629

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-04-15

4 hours ago, GaryB1263 said:

Is there a post or website that details this tunnel project in Pattaya? I am still not sure what the goal is. I thought it was only on the Sukhumvit?

1. No. 2. Goal is to help alleviate the traffic bottleneck at Suk & Pattaya Klang and provide entertainment for TVF posters, which seems to be ending now. 3. It's only on Suk or technically under Suk.

Edited by JSixpack

I'm still confused on the reason for the delay of the tunnel opening.Earlier reports said it was due to having yet to install an overpass with elevators (for handicap access) at both ends.  What's that got to do with not opening the tunnel for traffic?  What are the security and emergency systems referenced in this thread's OP?  It appears from the photo that lighting is functional.  Is it installation of those roadside emergency phone boxes that's the sticking point?  Does such a relatively short underpass tunnel require exhaust fans?

8 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I'm still confused on the reason for the delay of the tunnel opening.Earlier reports said it was due to having yet to install an overpass with elevators (for handicap access) at both ends.  What's that got to do with not opening the tunnel for traffic?  What are the security and emergency systems referenced in this thread's OP?  It appears from the photo that lighting is functional.  Is it installation of those roadside emergency phone boxes that's the sticking point?  Does such a relatively short underpass tunnel require exhaust fans?

I think it's really not necessary to know all the reasons. In fact the more the detail given the more our ace TVF Tunnel Engineers will sneer & cavil. Could have been a guard rail or other protective barrier for all we know. Suffice it to say that if the Thais think it's not ready then it really, really must not be ready. Meanwhile let's be thankful they opened the lanes from Pattaya Klang. SO nice after the last two years of bottleneck.

Edited by JSixpack