3 weeks in Thailand is too long....

simon43

On 4/19/2017 at 3:11 PM, dbrenn said:

Sure Bangkok is getting more expensive and boring, but how is life in Naypyidaw? Is there anything to do there, or is it the Orwellian nightmare that the popular press would have us believe?

Here is a quick google image search of Naypyidaw. Looks like paradise on earth compared to Thailand. A quick glance on Tripadvisor also reveals it is a cosmopolitan city for foodies as well. I guess it has that sort of cool factor because it is a weird place to live but other than that 3 days would seem to be too much time there.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Naypyidaw&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjylMmVv7rTAhVGMY8KHZIBBhwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1243&bih=639#imgrc=N8xtZzTOy5mk_M:

9 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Here is a quick google image search of Naypyidaw. Looks like paradise on earth compared to Thailand. A quick glance on Tripadvisor also reveals it is a cosmopolitan city for foodies as well. I guess it has that sort of cool factor because it is a weird place to live but other than that 3 days would seem to be too much time there.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Naypyidaw&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjylMmVv7rTAhVGMY8KHZIBBhwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1243&bih=639#imgrc=N8xtZzTOy5mk_M:

I just followed the link you posted. Looks like a fun place likely to lure all the expats away from boring old Bangkok. 

On 4/15/2017 at 7:45 PM, simon43 said:

I've got a week to kill before my booked return flight (I can't change the ticket and need to visit the Myanmar embassy next week).

What to do??  Perhaps I might visit some of the attractions after Songkran, such as Jim Thompson's house, the zoo etc.

Probably too late now Simon as you will be winging your way back to Myanmar shortly, however I took the train from Bangkok down to Hua Hin and found that pleasant and was able to view some of the countryside on the way down as well as enjoy a few days in that city.

As another poster has mentioned, going to see the River Kwai and associated memorabilia could be on the agenda and on a personal note, I do like Chiang Rai and a cheap flight to spend a few days up there would also be an option for me if I were in the same position.

I did like driving around in the hills outside of Chiang Rai and visiting the tea plantations and flower gardens and I found the city to be rather quaint. Anyway next time maybe............?

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Yeah, looks like Pyongyang on a slow day. Nice wide streets with nobody on them. 

If you look closely, there's what looks like a stiffened corpse lying on the road in one of the photos. Livens the place up a bit, I suppose.