3 weeks in Thailand is too long....

simon43

Had I realised how much money I would spend in 3 weeks here, I would have booked only a 2-day visa-run from my base in Myanmar :shock1:

It hasn't all been expensive drunken orgies.  I came to Bangkok well-prepared with a long list of common and not-so-common items that I just could not locate to buy in Naypyidaw, such as a tape measure(!), a replacement bike saddle, decent-priced whey protein, a goretex rain jacket, a 2-into-1 plug adapter for my headphones.......

I had another list of things to buy for my job (KG teacher).  So I spent a small fortune on sturdy vocabulary flashcards, (yes I can make them myself, but the commercial cards are on thick card, laminated, and with attractive designs).

But I had also forgotten how the price of many common items has increased in Bangkok since my first foray to the city in 2002.  Clothes, foods, massage etc.

I've decided that I'll have a better 3-week holiday next time by doing a short trip to Bangkok, then return to Myanmar and spend a couple of weeks exploring some of the regions, such as Kachin and Shan states.

I've got a week to kill before my booked return flight (I can't change the ticket and need to visit the Myanmar embassy next week).

What to do??  Perhaps I might visit some of the attractions after Songkran, such as Jim Thompson's house, the zoo etc.

Any suggestions what to do and where to go?

Happy Thingyan (Songkran) to everyone.

Bangkok is a developing Capital City at developed Capital City prices... 

With certainty, most imported items of quality (such as Gortex jacket) etc are priced at a premium in Thailand. 

In comparison to many Capital cities, food in Bangkok is very cheap and excellent quality, ranging from street food to high end establishments any city would be proud to host, yet still priced competitively when compared to its Western cousins....  Drinking is usually more expensive, unless going Thai style and putting a bottle on the table with a group of friends... Hotels are generally cheaper too.... 

All of that said, Bangkok cannot be compared to anywhere in Myanmar - the gulf in development and standards is huge. 

What to do ?... a bike trip across the river to 'the Lung'... its something not many tourists do and shows a side of Thailands Capital not often witnessed by tourists. 

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Not really how can you compare Thailand to Myanmar by going to Bangkok l mean get real will ya.

Have you got Myanmar Visa.com.

Edited by Kwasaki

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok is a developing Capital City at developed Capital City prices... 

With certainty, most imported items of quality (such as Gortex jacket) etc are priced at a premium in Thailand. 

In comparison to many Capital cities, food in Bangkok is very cheap and excellent quality, ranging from street food to high end establishments any city would be proud to host, yet still priced competitively when compared to its Western cousins....  Drinking is usually more expensive, unless going Thai style and putting a bottle on the table with a group of friends... Hotels are generally cheaper too.... 

All of that said, Bangkok cannot be compared to anywhere in Myanmar - the gulf in development and standards is huge. 

What to do ?... a bike trip across the river to 'the Lung'... its something not many tourists do and shows a side of Thailands Capital not often witnessed by tourists. 

Not a generalization at all? All food in Bangkok is excellent quality?.... hmmmmmm.

Have to agree with the expense difference. 18 months ago spent some time in Yangon, I stocked up with quite a few items to bring back as I was so surprised at how cheap many things were. With the flight cost, it may be worth going again soon. Cheap as chips.

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

eBut I had also forgotten how the price of many common items has increased in Bangkok since my first foray to the city in 2002

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

What to do??  Perhaps I might visit some of the attractions after Songkran, such as Jim Thompson's house, the zoo etc.

Perhaps you could head down to the riverside where the very popular Museum of Nostalgia is located. Many hours of wonderment can be spent there discovering long forgotten, extremely cheap products from yesteryear.  Best to go after 4pm when most of the customers have headed down to their local for a pint, otherwise you will be inundated with old British gentlemen, in suits, shuffling past the exhibits proclaiming "oi remember when oi could buy one of them for three un tuppence".

It's well worth taking the time to watch the beta video tape show, on the Rank Arena 26" telly, describing how inflation has ruined the world and sent prices through the roof.

On the way out, for a reality check, there is a hands on, electronic calculator that shows relative wages for the various eras.

Complaining seems to be a rite of passage after 75 so me wonders what his age is.

LoL, for the sake of disclosure, I'm 58 years old and lived in Phuket for 15 years. 

The cheap living in Myanmar made me forget the typical costs in Bangkok.

Anyway, I've stocked up on almost everything on my list.  Just need to collect Kefir grains a few hours before my flight back to Naypyidaw and I'm sorted.

Why just not be prepared! Have an extra buffert of money if something is not like you think it would be. Seems very naive to travel like that in my opinion.

Now you are in the situation already, so just sit in the room, save the money and go back to Myanmar. I suppose you will need to spend money there too.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

LoL, for the sake of disclosure, I'm 58 years old and lived in Phuket for 15 years. 

Anyway, I've stocked up on almost everything on my list.  Just need to collect Kefir grains a few hours before my flight back to Naypyidaw and I'm sorted.

58 years old.

Having previously lived in Phuket for 15 years.

And wondering how to spend 3 weeks in Thailand dep Bangkok?

My first stop would be Humpy train station, or Swampy, or one of the bus stations.

Seems very naive to travel like that in my opinion.

My post was about the cost of items in Bangkok, not that I don't have enough money to buy them :)  

There are just too many tempting items to buy in Bangkok. 

How quicly people forget, Simon. Have always likes your perspective on Thailand & Phuket. Hope Myamanar is better.

Well, Myanmar is different.  Last time I worked in Yangon was 2012/2013.  I wouldn't want to work there again (too much traffic, overcrowding etc). But I understand that the city is really opening up with new restaurants and bars.

I worked in the northern town of Mandalay last Autumn.  It was OK, but no green spaces within the city and not all that safe for cycling.

Now I'm in Naypyidaw, there are plenty of green areas, lakes and cycle paths, and very few cars, and ..er ... very few shops which in any case stock very few items!

Three weeks in Thailand is not too long, three weeks in Bangkok however is too long by about two weeks and four days. In my opinion.

Edited by Ahab
Misspelled word

You were wise to shop in Bangkok as many things you bought there are more expensive in Pattaya and Hua Hin.  I know

as I bought in both these places, then shopped in BKK.  Visit the Teak Musuem it is worth the price of

admission, lots to see inside as well,old carriages, and the building is very unique.

Yes I agree that the prices in Bangkok have risen in the last several years, but that is because the

costs in the world have also risen. Try coming to Canada if you doubt me.

Geezer

On 16/04/2017 at 7:11 PM, simon43 said:

Sure Bangkok is getting more expensive and boring, but how is life in Naypyidaw? Is there anything to do there, or is it the Orwellian nightmare that the popular press would have us believe?

On 16/04/2017 at 10:13 PM, bazza73 said:

Chiang Mai is significantly cheaper than Bangkok in just about every aspect. Maybe the OP should give that a try next time around.

The other good thing about Chiang Mai is that you don't need to have a lot of money saved for your retirement. The air pollution will kill you off before your money runs out. 

Edited by dbrenn