PM Prayut reminds Thais to be proud of UN’s higher happiness ranking for Thailand

webfact

BANGKOK, April 17, 2017 (NNT) - The Prime Minister is encouraging Thai people to feel upbeat about the country’s improved ranking in the United Nations’ latest World Happiness Report

10 baht for  HIV positive, or homeless children per download of the 2017 World Happiness Report. 

World Happines Report 2017.pdf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, webfact said:

towards the status of a country of high incomes in the future

Like in the same amount of time as from the dinosaur era to the industrialism, but that´s not a problem. We know it´s coming!

Anyone here seen the original series of Star Trek, episode 'This side of paradise'? Where the late Leonard Nimoy as Spock says '...known in the vernacular as a 'happiness pill'. Perhaps the PM has a few of those 'spores' and spread them around. Maybe he could give some to America, North Korea, China, Russia etc. because I don't think it is going to matter one hoot if that lot go to war.

7 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Ok I found the info I needed. The countries happiness score has decreased from 6474 in the 2016 report to 6424 in the 2017 report, but the country jumped a position. So the country became less happy not more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

Vice versa:

Norway displaced Denmark as the world’s happiest country as Thailand was ranked 32 compared to last year’s 33rd ranking in the World Happiness Report 2017 produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, a global initiative launched by the United Nations in 2012.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-32-world-happiness-report-2017-norway-comes-top/

My first reaction is to be cynical.  Reflecting on it further, there are many places in the world that are far worse.  Even some so called 'developed' economies are just miserable places to live unless you are flush with cash.  So yeah, ranking 32 seems reasonable on balance.  

1 hour ago, ajarngreg said:

Vice versa:

Norway displaced Denmark as the world’s happiest country as Thailand was ranked 32 compared to last year’s 33rd ranking in the World Happiness Report 2017 produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, a global initiative launched by the United Nations in 2012.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-32-world-happiness-report-2017-norway-comes-top/

Yes although the country went up one place the Thai people was less happy as per the happiness score. To claim the country is more happy is false. He can only claim the country moved up one position.

6 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Yes although the country went up one place the Thai people was less happy as per the happiness score. To claim the country is more happy is false. He can only claim the country moved up one position.

Did her ever come up with something that made any sense before?

He's the most insecure prime minister on this planet. And I doubt that Thais like him, they just don't wanna talk about it.

What do some Thais think about it? Source:    https://www.henrymakow.com/2016/05/Thais People-Restive-Under-Military-Rule.html

i) from a university professor:

Thailand has changed, but in a way that goes back to the past rather than into the future. A lot of people had some relief when the coup took place [two years ago] after six months of mayhem and protests. 

On a daily basis, Thailand became unworkable, ungovernable. Initially, there was relief that we had some law and order and safety in the streets without demonstrations but at the expense of pent-up frustrations and of popular rule that people have come to expect. Two years is a long time in Thai politics and now people are saying, yes, we had some law and order, to the extreme in fact, too much of it. People have been detained. There has been a lot of coercion, violations of basic civil liberties, at the expense of longer-term stability. The way ahead is murky. Most worryingly, the coup makers do not have an exit strategy. And it looks the generals aren't taking over for the future of Thailand and the Thai people, but for the generals themselves. So I think that more people are seeing that and more people are showing dissatisfaction which will get worse.

- See more at: https://www.henrymakow.com/2016/05/Thais People-Restive-Under-Military-Rule.html#sthash.5mmaNj56.dpuf

Edited by ajarngreg

Yes, you can be happy now that we got you addicted on cheap beer and cigarettes and low taxes but just wait..
no turning back now, the elite (alternate?)  governments are being taught how to really make money in the name of reform...

Just like the west.

The seatbelts and pickup reform are just teasers but they might just be the straw that breaks the camels back.

10 hours ago, pentap said:

Who or what organisation actually supplies the information? Thai?

How transparent is the information?

Personally, I'm very doubtful about the legitimacy of the results.

However. If true? Well done, Thai nationals

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Why the hell is the UN wasting money on these kind of studies?  People around the world who need health care, medicines, food, etc. and they are wasting money to see who is happy in probably what is s flawed study anyway.

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

Why the hell is the UN wasting money on these kind of studies?  People around the world who need health care, medicines, food, etc. and they are wasting money to see who is happy in probably what is s flawed study anyway.

The UN is one of the biggest money wasters in the world We have this stupid situation in the security council consisting of America. Britain France   Russia and China If one of these nations vetoes a motion then it dont pass Just one nation to veto I will leave you to guess who does most of the Vetoes So nothing gets done and the wars just keep on going United Nations is just a big laugh these days  So they do these happy surveys Keeps then amused i guess