Songkran celebrations claim 335 lives in six days

webfact

Songkran celebrations claim 335 lives in six days

130_6days.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents in six days of Songkran celebrations from April 11-16 claimed a total of 335 deaths and 3,506 injuries.

The Road Safety Centre under the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation stated Monday that the fatalities were counted from 3,388 road accidents which happened in six days from April 11-16.

It said Chiang Mai topped the highest number of accumulated accidents at 153 and injuries at 160, while Nakhon Ratchasima led with the highest number of deaths at 17.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-celebrations-claim-335-lives-six-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-17

"Drink driving remained the main cause of all road accidents or 37.72% , followed by speeding, 31.02%.

Motorcycles were accounted for 81.58% of all road accidents, while pickup trucks 8.37%"

There is your problem, now solve it, how ?

Zero alcohol & speeding tolerance for driving/riding

If caught speeding over 30km's in a built up area, and or with any alcohol reading, loss of car motorcycle followed by:

Heavy fine starting from 20,000 baht upwards depending on speed and blood alcohol reading at the time

Loss of license for 3 years to life depending on speed over the limit and blood alcohol reading at the time

Criminal conviction recorded

Jail time ranging from 3 months to life, depending on speed and blood alcohol reading at the time

Problem solved easily if you ask me

Edited by 4MyEgo

7 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

So, Songkran should be extended to 365 days per year, since the death rate during Songkran of 65/day is lower than the average for the whole year of about 71.  Songkran is the safest time to drive on the Thai roads.

I noticed that too. They keep focusing on Songkran and New Year when in fact it is just as bad year round.

55 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

"Drink driving remained the main cause of all road accidents or 37.72% , followed by speeding, 31.02%.

Motorcycles were accounted for 81.58% of all road accidents, while pickup trucks 8.37%"

If caught speeding over 30km's in a built up area, and or with any alcohol reading, loss of car motorcycle followed by:

Heavy fine starting from 20,000 baht upwards depending on speed and blood alcohol reading at the time

Loss of license for 3 years to life depending on speed over the limit and blood alcohol reading at the time

Jail time ranging from 3 months to life, depending on speed and blood alcohol reading at the time

Solly Cannot!!! You NO Unnerrstaaaaan Thai PEE-pole!!!!!  U just falang!

If no like why u stay thai-lannnn  u go home....:wai:

1 minute ago, franklnooner said:

Until moving violations are enforced the killing will continue.

Anyone interested in opening a mortuary business.

I still feel the same about death as I do about life. I will still want a smoking hot body. 

With the large volumes of traffic on Thai roads during the Songkran period the traffic (especially on major roads) wil naturally tend to travel a lot slower, therefore reducing the amount of deaths due to speed, but not the accident rate which will rise.

Considering the great numbers of pick-ups on the roads their contributing less than 9% of accidents the banning of passengers riding in the tray (although right in principle) is an over-reaction which will greatly inconvenience a vast number of Thais especially in rural areas. Far better for the authorities to concentrate on enforcing the drink driving rules, ensuring that roads rules are adhered to, driving licences, insurance etc.

46 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I still feel the same about death as I do about life. I will still want a smoking hot body. 

Do you wish to be cremated when you kick off in 30 years or so?      :cheesy:    Gets hot and smoky in the oven.

As one of the posters pointed out- the police need to concentrate on moving violations. You hardly ever see radar set up on the motorways or the secondary roads. Either the police do not have the resources or they simply don't really care.  Reliance on cameras to catch speeders who never pay the tickets is worthless.  Setting up road checks does othing to stop the number one thing that kills people and that is speed.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The Road Safety Centre under the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation will be in touch with you shortly for your input...

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A life sentence for excessive speeding and high blood alcohol levels? Sounds like something right out of Sharia Law. 

The way to get people to abide by the speed limit and drink driving law is through an intensive public relations campaign which starts in high schools and continues year around on television; radio; posters and other media using public figures and movie and singing stars.The introduction of the concept of the 'designated driver'- the person who does not drink will also help educate the public. Many people do not thing much about drink driving and speeding because of the lack of enforcement and also the fact that there is not much talk about it except at holiday time.

With the above, it will take at least a generation to change attitudes but the solution is not banning people from pickups; impounding cars or certainly not police checkpoints. None of this will ever work as people do not really understand the concepts of safe driving until they are taught.

11 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

A life sentence for excessive speeding and high blood alcohol levels? Sounds like something right out of Sharia Law. 

No that would result in be-heading. 

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

:burp:0.01%  you're done. Are you kidding. Most cough medicines would put you over the limit. Stupid comment. How about this one. Take all vehicles off the road. :stoner:

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, sorry just read your whole post. Could you please show us a picture of the planet you are from. I believe we have first contact here.:ohmy:

It is a disgrace and should be the biggest embarrassment for this Government but somehow it isn't.  Drunk driving has been all but eradicated in some Countries with very tough fines and penalties . Fines that have more than paid for the actual cost of the Law Enforcement alone. They don't seem to get that here. They don't seem to understand that the enforcement will be paid for by the fools that think they can get away with it. And the Junta want us to be Happy because Thailand is high on the Happiness Rating from the UN. Are they freakin kidding?

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

I noticed that too. They keep focusing on Songkran and New Year when in fact it is just as bad year round.

It's a devious way of shirking the main issue. The media and the sheep-like population continue to lap it up year after year, because it is convenient to do so, and everyone can carry on being............................happy.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

:burp:0.01%  you're done. Are you kidding. Most cough medicines would put you over the limit. Stupid comment. How about this one. Take all vehicles off the road. :stoner:

Even more stupid than stupid 555

7 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Solly Cannot!!! You NO Unnerrstaaaaan Thai PEE-pole!!!!!  U just falang!

If no like why u stay thai-lannnn  u go home....:wai:

Your absolutely correct, forgot where I was for a minute, the land of smiles, drunken smiles

fabulous time spent Songkran

now I sad,

speeding drinking took the life,

ovens getting too much work

plumes of dark smoke, my relation

my friend up in smoke,

return to work sad

gloss no more on Songkran 

shores.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

They would still find some way to kill each other. 

I must have been lucky... Never normally venture far during Songkran, but this year had a mission from Bangkok to Petchabun and then to Chaiyaphum and back to Bangkok...

We didn't witness 1 accident, which I consider amazing... Normally see 1 or 2 most weeks just around our small town !!!

Hope everyone had a great holiday