Almost half of military recruits volunteer for service

webfact

Almost half of military recruits volunteer for service

PNPOL600417001001401.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 April 2017 (NNT) - Almost half of all new military recruits this year had reportedly volunteered for service, totaling more than 50,000. 

Spokesperson for the Royal Thai Army Col Sirichan Ngathong reported that the military draft of 2017 was held from April 1st - 12th. She said the army has expressed gratitude to all officials involved in drafting process, which was administered without incident. 

This year, the military drew 103,097 new recruits from a pool of 532,277 young men. Of the new recruits, 78,677 were drafted into the Royal Thai Army, 16,000 went to the Royal Thai Navy, and 8,420 went into the Royal Thai Air Force. Of the total number of recruits, 50,580 or 49% volunteered for military service, an increase from the previous year. 

The spokesperson attributed the increase in volunteers to improvements in officer compensation and public relations, as well as career advantages conferred by military service.

New recruits are expected to report for duty on May 1st.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-17

49% of eligible Thai men volunteer to be conscripted
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More than 49 per cent of eligible Thai men volunteered to be conscripted during the annual military recruiting ceremony.

Deputy spokesperson of the army Colonel Sirichan Ngathong said on Sunday that 532,277 men participated in the military recruiting ceremony this year and 103,097 were selected as soldiers. In total, 78,677 will be new members of the Army, 8,420 in the Air Force, and 16,000 in the Navy.

“The army would like to thank all participants in this year’s military recruiting ceremony for making the drafting operation successful,” Sirichan said.

“Moreover, 50,580 men volunteered to be conscripted, which is 49 per cent of all new draftees and breaks last year’s record.”

She stated that those who did not show up in the drafting event must contact recruiting officers immediately or they will be violating the law.

She also said the military was ready to welcome the new conscripts, who will begin their service from May 1, and ensured them that they will be well treated during their service.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312484

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-17

I don't know how much money conscripted soldiers get, but maybe they believe at least they will have a guaranteed income, rather than the hit and miss opportunities of being a taxi cab driver, motor bike taxi, a mall builder or dressing up in ladies clothes and robbing people on walking street.

I don't know about Thailand, but I joined the U.S. military in 1966 and my electronics school gave me a career as an electronics technician even after I left the military in 1971. I spent over 40 years working on communications electronics systems including satellite systems and computers until I retired in 2011.

It all began in the military, and gave me a career for life.

I don't regret the choice I made then.

16 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I don't know about Thailand, but I joined the U.S. military in 1966 and my electronics school gave me a career as an electronics technician even after I left the military in 1971. I spent over 40 years working on communications electronics systems including satellite systems and computers until I retired in 2011.

It all began in the military, and gave me a career for life.

I don't regret the choice I made then.

was any reading required in your occupation?

on your own effort?

much any at all?

it was in mine..... now take a look around. if you are in Thailand. 

I'm not at all sure that any ****other**** advice we can ever give to Thais on anything else is of any practical value otherwise at all.

actual reading and sharing it afterwards.... not just technically somehow being able to translate it into spoken sounds or copying the words and pictures.

Edited by maewang99

I wonder what is the size of the entire Thai military now? What is the retention rate?

I've seen figure for just the RTA of ~! 190,000, so 78,000 new recruits is close to 40%.

100,000 seems like a lot of new recruits to integrate, but assume these are to replace the current crop rotating back to civilian life?

or dressing up in ladies clothes

I think a lot of recruits end up as domestic help for the higher ranks. At least those that aren't killed during training.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I don't know how much money conscripted soldiers get, but maybe they believe at least they will have a guaranteed income, rather than the hit and miss opportunities of being a taxi cab driver, motor bike taxi, a mall builder or dressing up in ladies clothes and robbing people on walking street.

Well u saved me a reply , exactly,  this is the only reliable work for the normal blue collar worker,  nothing out there for most and I point out this has been going on for decades, this is not something new.

Just on a point of order Generals , in 2015 the RTA had 306,000 active and 245,000 reserve, the over bloated service had 1750 flag officers , over loaded for it's size, as the US in 2015 had 964 flag officers for a force several times bigger , the Constitution of the Kingdom states , serving in the Armed forces is a duty of all Thai citizens , so there U have it...... :coffee1:................................:coffee1:...

28 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I wonder what is the size of the entire Thai military now? What is the retention rate?

I've seen figure for just the RTA of ~! 190,000, so 78,000 new recruits is close to 40%.

100,000 seems like a lot of new recruits to integrate, but assume these are to replace the current crop rotating back to civilian life?

or dressing up in ladies clothes

I think a lot of recruits end up as domestic help for the higher ranks. At least those that aren't killed during training.

Or helping in hospitals, or doing community work, or relief work, or more of those kind of tasks.

Your last remark about killed is rather stupid.

5 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

It shows how bad the economy is. A few years back when the economy was booming, they were struggling to find enough men now there is more than enough. 

A better barometer than the Bank of Thailand methinks.