KODI - How to Enable, Download, and Add Subtitles

Jai Dee

40 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I've downloaded Arialuni ttf file to my download folder but i can't get it to go to Kodi

so is that why it's showing squares?

Yes... Kodi is still using arial.ttf.

40 minutes ago, sotsira said:

N.B I'm using a MacBook Pro.

I've done a little research for you:

Userdata folder and logs are hidden

• By default, Mac OS X 10.7 hides the user's Library folder, which is where Kodi's userdata folder and logs are stored. There are a few ways to get around this:
    • While in the Finder, click on the "Go" menu and hold down  Option, then select Library.
    • You can use programs such as TinkerTool to change the visibility of all or some hidden files/folders.
    • To permanently reveal the ~/Library folder, open up Terminal and run this command:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library
    Note: Anytime there is an OS X update (e.g. from version 10.7.3 to 10.7.4) you will have to run this command again as the folder will be hidden again

So in order to get your Thai subs working properly you need to copy the ttf file to the /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/Kodi/media/Fonts/ directory.

Then re-start Kodi, and follow the steps in post 3 again.

You should see your new ttf file this time.

I could be wrong here and I've not enough time to read back through the issues that Sotsira is having but I installed my Thai font after downloading via a Mac. Couldn't get it to work until I realised Safari was set to auto unzip downloads and I was installing unzipped folders. Once I re-zipped it and installed as above it worked fine. Might not be in any way related, just an issue that I had with a Mac and the Thai fonts install.

Posted using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, sotsira said:

Ok guys, i've got the subtitles working fine in English, but when i try and select Thai subs,

they always show small squares instead.

I've downloaded Arialuni ttf file to my download folder but i can't get it to go to Kodi

so is that why it's showing squares?

When i follow post 3 i'm not seeing arialuni ttf as an option, only arial ttf. is showing.

N.B I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Make sure you download the 22.2 Mb file at the bottom of the page Jai Dee linked to, not the 14 Mb zip file in the middle of the page

file should then be copied to .Kodi > Media > fonts , not the library folder.

media.JPG.486b3930020797d98ab8ed6836649970.JPG

If there is no fonts folder in Media yet just create one, the capital letter F is of no importance.
fonts.JPG.e69e83a8611cc2083605189be69b6dd7.JPG

Fonts are Truetypefont files not zip files

arial.JPG.c06cb76fdcaa3ec6f2708fa6e0a8b483.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

jancleas47, after following your advice in the previous post i managed to get the arialuni ttf 

file to work inside Kodi by opening a fonts folder in media. Thanks for that.

Now i've also got Kodi set up on my Sony Android TV which i downloaded from Google Play.

Within the Kodi settings i've set up opensubtitles.org to work ok with English subs but not Thai.

I still have the issue of how to get the arialuni ttf file to the Kodi system in my TV to allow the Thai

subs to show instead of small boxes.

Any ideas of whether this can be achieved with my particular set up being an Android TV? 

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

jancleas47, after following your advice in the previous post i managed to get the arialuni ttf 

file to work inside Kodi by opening a fonts folder in media. Thanks for that.

Now i've also got Kodi set up on my Sony Android TV which i downloaded from Google Play.

Within the Kodi settings i've set up opensubtitles.org to work ok with English subs but not Thai.

I still have the issue of how to get the arialuni ttf file to the Kodi system in my TV to allow the Thai

subs to show instead of small boxes.

Any ideas of whether this can be achieved with my particular set up being an Android TV? 

Regardless which device you use, Kodi is Kodi, so you should put the font file in the very same location.

Once again, you better use the AD-TT- Garuda-Regular font instead of the ArialUni for reasons I explained earlier.

If your problem is to find the media folder, in Android its is Sdcard > Android >data> org.xbmc.kodi> files> .kodi

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If your problem is to find the media folder, in Android its is Sdcard > Android >data> org.xbmc.kodi> files> .kodi

Yes this is where i'm stuck as i'm not familiar with Android and in my case the Android TV 

that i've only purchased a few weeks ago. The Android OS is built in to my TV, i;m not using 

any set top boxes.

Kodi was an app already in the google play store on my TV, so downloading that was easy.

Is it possible to download an app, or the font folder to my TV, or to the Kodi app inside my TV, 

that isn't in google play or in the Android OS already?

Could you explain in layman's terms what i need to do step by step, will i need to use an external

device connected to my TV ?

Right now all this is all new to me, as i've only been using the  Android TV  a few weeks.

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Yes this is where i'm stuck as i'm not familiar with Android and in my case the Android TV 

that i've only purchased a few weeks ago. The Android OS is built in to my TV, i;m not using 

any set top boxes.

Kodi was an app already in the google play store on my TV, so downloading that was easy.

Is it possible to download an app, or the font folder to my TV, or to the Kodi app inside my TV, 

that isn't in google play or in the Android OS already?

Could you explain in layman's terms what i need to do step by step, will i need to use an external

device connected to my TV ?

Right now all this is all new to me, as i've only been using the  Android TV  a few weeks.

Thanks!

I forgot, you will need rootexplorer to get to the fiolder.

You can download root explorer from Playstore, make sure that in the settings "show hidden files" is enabled.

Then you open root explorer amd in ROOT you go to the location sdcard > Android >data> org.xbmc.kodi> files> .kodi

On 7/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, janclaes47 said:

I forgot, you will need rootexplorer to get to the fiolder.

You can download root explorer from Playstore, make sure that in the settings "show hidden files" is enabled.

Then you open root explorer amd in ROOT you go to the location sdcard > Android >data> org.xbmc.kodi> files> .kodi

Again, thanks for your help, i've now managed to get the fonts folder in the Kodi app on my Android Tv.

I ended up using ES File Explorer linked to my computer using the FileZilla program over WiFi, which 

made the transfer of the files from my laptop to the TV very easy.

Archived