New Zealand man found dead in apparent suicide in Bangkok

webfact

New Zealand man found dead in apparent suicide in Bangkok
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A New Zealand man was found dead in his town house in Bangkok’s Sai Mai district on Monday night, in what police believe was a suicide.

The body of David Morton, 51, was found at about 8.30pm inside his office on the second floor of the property on Soi Sai Mai 54.

His head was covered with a plastic bag and a nitrogen tank was left open in front of the room.

Police found a suicide note that said he had a health problem.

Captain Methasit Pattanakittipong, deputy inspector of Sai Mai Police Station, said police did not find any sign of foul play.

Methasit said the man’s wife, who was not at home at that time of the incident, could not contact Morton so she called a neighbour to check. 

The neighbour found the body, which was sent to Bhumibol Hospital for an autopsy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312567

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-18

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Methasit said the man’s wife, who was not at home at that time of the incident, could not contact Morton so she called a neighbour to check. 

Ah huh. 

Amazing how often this happens...

He had a nitrogen tank and a plastic bag.. come on.. bit elaborate to set that up. This is quite possible a real suicide. Sure you could set this up if you wanted but its quite elaborate and you don't hear of many Thais killing themselves with nitrogen. 

Sure lots of farang kill themselves.. I believe it, nothing to fall back on sometimes this is an easy way out. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

He had a nitrogen tank and a plastic bag.. come on.. bit elaborate to set that up. This is quite possible a real suicide. Sure you could set this up if you wanted but its quite elaborate and you don't hear of many Thais killing themselves with nitrogen. 

Sure lots of farang kill themselves.. I believe it, nothing to fall back on sometimes this is an easy way out. 

Of course you don't hear of many thais committing suicide - they just on their motorcycles or in their pick-ups.  same same

Just now, whatawonderfulday said:

Of course you don't hear of many thais committing suicide - they just on their motorcycles or in their pick-ups.  same same

I said you don't hear of many Thais committing suicide with nitrogen, I never said I did not hear of many Thais committing suicide because I have read about that. The point that I was making that this is far more a way foreigners kill themselves. I have read about this method as a painless method. 

Just pointing out here that this is in all probability a real suicide. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I said you don't hear of many Thais committing suicide with nitrogen, I never said I did not hear of many Thais committing suicide because I have read about that. The point that I was making that this is far more a way foreigners kill themselves. I have read about this method as a painless method. 

Just pointing out here that this is in all probability a real suicide. 

sorry misread your comment.  Now out to buy some nitrogen !!!!

Ah huh. 

Amazing how often this happens...

My wife always calls my neighbour when I don't answer the phone...not. But seriously, the wife was so concerned about her husband that when he didn't answer the phone she called the neighbours? Someone so worried about a person's mental health would probably not let that person be alone at all. :unsure:

1 minute ago, SABloke said:

My wife always calls my neighbour when I don't answer the phone...not. But seriously, the wife was so concerned about her husband that when he didn't answer the phone she called the neighbours? Someone so worried about a person's mental health would probably not let that person be alone at all. :unsure:

Maybe, but this sort of thing happens often enough to be a formula. 

Step 1: Wife/gf goes away. 

Step 2: Calls partner but no answer. 

Step 3: Asks a neighbour to check on partner. 

Step 4: Partner found dead. 

Step 5: BIB rules suicide. 

I was calling BS on the story in a
the politest way possible ;)

16 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Perhaps the wife was up-country for Songkran with her family. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to live with someone that is Bi-polar you would understand its impossible to be with them 24/7.

Sad way to end life so young.

Not so uncommon

Nitrogen-Plastic Bag Suicide

A Case Report 

The use of pure nitrogen gas to commit suicide has recently become more popular, although suicides involving nitrogen oxide fumes have been occasionally reported in the past.

The cause of death in such cases is attributed to asphyxia due to forced depletion of oxygen, a subcategory of a phenomenon dubbed environmental hypoxia.

Several organizations and sites in favor of suicide promote the use of N2 focusing on the following ‘‘pros.’’

First, death induced by N2 gas is fast.

Most people will lose consciousness after 12 seconds and then die within minutes.

Besides, this method offers the prospect of a peaceful death because N2 exists in the air.

In that way, the intense hypercapnic alarm response caused by irritant fumes, such as carbon dioxide, is avoided.

Regarding the equipment, it is easy to obtain without drawing suspicion because it is available from hardware stores and via the Internet as well.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I'm missing something here.

Without going into how he had obtained an nitrogen tank in the first place (perhaps he had access to a dive centre that had the gases necessary for technical/nitrox re-fills?) - couldn't he have simply used a regulator to breath the nitrogen without the necessity of putting a plastic bag over his head?

Genuine question.

Without going into how he had obtained an nitrogen tank in the first place (perhaps he had access to a dive centre that had the gases necessary for technical/nitrox re-fills?) - couldn't he have simply used a regulator to breath the nitrogen without the necessity of putting a plastic bag over his head?

Genuine question.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about the plastic bag.
Maybe he released nitrogen into the bag while it was on his head to make it a faster or more certain death ?

I'm obviously only guessing .

RIP David
Condolences to family and friends.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Genuine question.

i don't really know but if it was from a dive-shop your suggestions would make far more sense.  I was thinking he got it somewhere else, but who knows I havent seen the thank. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Until farangs will get to know the reason she wants me, these kind of things will only keep happening.

"I want what's in your wa.....ll....t, and l want everything"

Welcome to LOS

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure you do. Thai's kill themselves all the time in the cars with Nitrogen oxides gases. They pull up in the gas stations leave the engine running and fall asleep.  They don't mean to kill themselves but they do...often. There have been quite a few stories here lately. As far as setting that up at home, quite a plan. Not something you'd expect from Thais.

3 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Sure you do. Thai's kill themselves all the time in the cars with Nitrogen oxides gases. They pull up in the gas stations leave the engine running and fall asleep.  They don't mean to kill themselves but they do...often. There have been quite a few stories here lately. As far as setting that up at home, quite a plan. Not something you'd expect from Thais.

You're talking about Thai accidental deaths compared to farang suicides.

For young  farang accidental deaths,  abuse of drugs and or alcohol  are often a factor whilst for Thais it's usually motorcycles or fast cars.

nitrogen gas.jpg

22 hours ago, balo said:

Many foreign men wants to end their lives in Thailand. Never read about women doing it.  RIP.

if you ask Darwin he would say it's nature built in system in the femine to make sure the species continue so the surviving males could still fertilize those women left behind.

10 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

So he just happened to have a nitrogen tank laying around,how conveniently......

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

We often read on TV how people would committee suicide if they had an illness etc.

And when someone does what others say, A.N. Other still thinks it strange.

Would you prefer if he had jumped ? Oh no cause then you would have said he had been pushed.

Can the next person who is going to committee suicide please contact the above poster so he can be there and verify it is indeed a suicide.

Ta.