British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

34 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

UK Local Election results: Daily Telegraph reporting UKIP  'obliterated'.

I'd be a little more shy about using these types of statistics if I were you - as it seems likely UKIP (and other voters supporting leave) are voting for the Tories - as the party most likely to stand a chance of winning, that also supports their view on the issue.

But we'll only know after the general election.  Has May increased the tory majority as the party supporting leave, or have the liberal democrats taken over parliament as the party supporting remain?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May has played a 'blinder'!

The Labour party (their main opposition) is still supporting remain (whereas a large percentage of their supporters support leave) - so its more than likely that a few of their seats will be lost to the tories - whose manifesto is to leave.

We'll laugh about this in years to come!

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

UK Local Election results: Daily Telegraph reporting UKIP  'obliterated'.

They certainly have not done too well in these local elections. Could this be because their supporters have already achieved their object, in obtaining Britexit. 

And now want to support the party in power, whose leader is intent on following the democratic wishes of the electorate. The Labour Party has also lost many seats, is this because many of their traditional supporters,have finally seen the light. If these two points I make are correct. Then it's only to be seen, how big TM majority is next month. I suspect her biggest worry is voter apathy, or the electorate being over confident that their choice will win.

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd be a little more shy about using these types of statistics if I were you - as it seems likely UKIP (and other voters supporting leave) are voting for the Tories - as the party most likely to stand a chance of winning, that also supports their view on the issue.

But we'll only know after the general election.  Has May increased the tory majority as the party supporting leave, or have the liberal democrats taken over parliament as the party supporting remain?

You might want to write a letter to the Daily Telegraph complaining about their reporting. Anyway, UKIP have lost every single seat that they have defended, but wait, they have won one seat from Labour in Lancashire. Nevertheless, don't quite despair and hold on to the thought that the above Brexiteer contributor has suggested, namely that UKIP 'have not done too well'. :cheesy:

UKIP are finished as a political party.

Local elections are not always the same as a general election, but the writing seems to be well on the wall for Jeremy Corbyn and his bunch of no hopers. The tories will certainly romp home with a majority of at least a hundred, maybe more, and they will be able to implement just about anything they want, there is no opposition in the UK anymore.

When the election was called I commented on TV that Mrs May should be careful what she asked for.   Unless it is fake news, the Independent today reports that ComRes have conducted a poll in the last 24 hrs and it finds that the British public overwhelmingly like the Labour Manifesto which was 'leaked' yesterday.   Maybe the bet I put on Corbyn will prove to be a 'good idea'!

12 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

When the election was called I commented on TV that Mrs May should be careful what she asked for.   Unless it is fake news, the Independent today reports that ComRes have conducted a poll in the last 24 hrs and it finds that the British public overwhelmingly like the Labour Manifesto which was 'leaked' yesterday.   Maybe the bet I put on Corbyn will prove to be a 'good idea'!

A really great idea of yours to put money down the drain. A bit like Labour really.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

A really great idea of yours to put money down the drain. A bit like Labour really.

The facts dear boy, the facts.  Jeremy Corbyn was 200 to 1 when he stood for the leadership and everyone said 'can't be done' but he proved them wrong and he will do it again.   I will be delighted if he does in fact win and and hits the rich hard.    His stance on Trident is commendable and I say that as a retired army officer!

31 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

The facts dear boy, the facts.  Jeremy Corbyn was 200 to 1 when he stood for the leadership and everyone said 'can't be done' but he proved them wrong and he will do it again.   I will be delighted if he does in fact win and and hits the rich hard.    His stance on Trident is commendable and I say that as a retired army officer!

As you are an ex army officer, do you think Jeremy Corbyns stance on Trident is slightly flawed, he states he would keep Trident but never press the button, not the greatest deterents of all time. And I'm sure that the EU negotiation team would love to see the likes of J Corbyn, John McDonald, Diane Abbott and Emily Thornbury sat across the table, it doesn't fill one with a lot of confidence now does it?

1 hour ago, JackScarlett said:

I would suggest, according to your logic, that since Corbyn being the next PM is now as low as 9/1 (best 19/1) , you should bet your house on the result. 'Into the Valley of Death', sort of...

45 minutes ago, vogie said:

As you are an ex army officer, do you think Jeremy Corbyns stance on Trident is slightly flawed, he states he would keep Trident but never press the button, not the greatest deterents of all time. And I'm sure that the EU negotiation team would love to see the likes of J Corbyn, John McDonald, Diane Abbott and Emily Thornbury sat across the table, it doesn't fill one with a lot of confidence now does it?

We can agree to disagree.    I hold the belief that no PM should use nuclear weapons.  King Arthur had the right idea with his round table.   To me jaw jaw is infinitely better than war war!   Gung Ho politicians will be the first to run for the nuclear shelter.   Corbyn should go further and get rid of Trident altogether and the money saved - which would be astronomical - could be used on the seriously under-funded hospitals but of course the rich tories don't have to worry about the NHS as they will all have private medical insurance.

The manifesto on Brexit negotiations is pragmatic and sensible - whatever the EU offer can be put to the public in another referendum and they can choose from three options, namely accept, not accept and leave the EU without a deal or remain in the EU, the latter ensuring the prosperity of the nation..

37 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

We can agree to disagree.    I hold the belief that no PM should use nuclear weapons.  King Arthur had the right idea with his round table.   To me jaw jaw is infinitely better than war war!   Gung Ho politicians will be the first to run for the nuclear shelter.   Corbyn should go further and get rid of Trident altogether and the money saved - which would be astronomical - could be used on the seriously under-funded hospitals but of course the rich tories don't have to worry about the NHS as they will all have private medical insurance.

The manifesto on Brexit negotiations is pragmatic and sensible - whatever the EU offer can be put to the public in another referendum and they can choose from three options, namely accept, not accept and leave the EU without a deal or remain in the EU, the latter ensuring the prosperity of the nation..

If there is a reversal on leaving the EU, then I would agree that Trident should be scrapped before the EU get hold of it!

I expect that a large part of any Brexit negotiations will concern possible future trade arrangements. However, the vote to leave was not primarily driven by trade and most of the posters here tend to ignore or forget that. Remaining within the EU ensures the disappearance of our nation as we know it and that's the bottom line.

3 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

Funnily enough there was a report on the BBC News this morning which doesnt quite agree with what you say.

The survey was from only 1,021 adults.

Only these two were overwhelming.

Banning zero hours contracts was supported by 71% with 16% against, and 65% said they agreed with raising income tax for people earning more than £80,000 a year, with 24% opposed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-39891663

Meanwhile, a ComRes survey carried out for the Daily Mirror suggests Labour's general election pledges are more popular among voters than Mr Corbyn himself.

ComRes interviewed 1,021 adults online on 11 May and found 52% backed Labour's proposals to renationalise the railways - as set out in the leaked draft manifesto - with 22% against.

The party's proposed reforms to the energy market were supported by 49% with 24% against, while 50% backed re-nationalisation of the Royal Mail, with 25% opposed.

Banning zero hours contracts was supported by 71% with 16% against, and 65% said they agreed with raising income tax for people earning more than £80,000 a year, with 24% opposed.

However just 30% agreed that Mr Corbyn should be given a fair chance at leading the country, while 56% said he would be a "disaster" as prime minister.

Slightly flawed is an understatement, the man is clearly delusional and having browsed through the 'Times'' analysis on the manifesto the thought of JC possibly becoming UK prime minister is extremely worrying & scary.

All this anti-rich tosh when the UK needs wealth creators and investment to remain not relocate more corporate friendly.

Labours policies certainly won't help reduce the £1.7 tn debt down any quicker than now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

If there is a reversal on leaving the EU, then I would agree that Trident should be scrapped before the EU get hold of it!

I expect that a large part of any Brexit negotiations will concern possible future trade arrangements. However, the vote to leave was not primarily driven by trade and most of the posters here tend to ignore or forget that. Remaining within the EU ensures the disappearance of our nation as we know it and that's the bottom line.

Ahh, finally! A Brexit point not directly related to buy/sell-trade.

On this forum as well as on others and in newspapers the whole Brexit dish seems to boil down to sell/buy-trade.

There are other relevant aspects to being/not being member of the EU;

self regulation

picking own technical standards / regulations

setting own rules for food GM, for cucumber shapes, for pesticides or what have you

beeing in charge of this and that, eg national laws/stipulation, immigration or whatever

being master in own house

24 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Ahh, finally! A Brexit point not directly related to buy/sell-trade.

On this forum as well as on others and in newspapers the whole Brexit dish seems to boil down to sell/buy-trade.

There are other relevant aspects to being/not being member of the EU;

self regulation

picking own technical standards / regulations

setting own rules for food GM, for cucumber shapes, for pesticides or what have you

beeing in charge of this and that, eg national laws/stipulation, immigration or whatever

being master in own house

We can fully empathise with the significant impact that EU regulations on cucumber shapes has had on your life experience. Must have been quite traumatic.

Corbyn claims not to be a pacifist...

So had he been PM in 1982 what would he have done regarding the falklands???

As I recall he has opposed ever war inducing the Falkland war so I assume he would have told the Argies they can have them...

... And:

• Saint Helena
  • Ascension Island
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • British Antarctic Territory
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Montserrat
  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Gibraltar

8 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

King Arthur's round table didn't exactly save him in the end did it?

8 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

You may find that many Labour leaders,not only have private medical insurance, they also send their children to expensive private schools. While dumbing down the state schools.

And who would be in Corbyns cabinet? As an ex-Army Squaddie, be careful what you wish for.

image.jpeg

As I recall he has opposed ever war inducing the Falkland war so I assume he would have told the Argies they can have them...

... And:
  • Saint Helena
  • Ascension Island
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Montserrat
  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Gibraltar

Oh I don't think he is a pacifist.

After all, a pacifist would hardly be such an enthusiasts for (IRA) terrorism...

12 hours ago, Basil B said:

... And:

• Saint Helena
  • Ascension Island
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Montserrat
  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Gibraltar

It isn't 1982 believe it or not but carry on. Pitcairn Islands in dispute with anybody?

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

Oh I don't think he is a pacifist.

After all, a pacifist would hardly be such an enthusiasts for (IRA) terrorism...

Corbyn is not a pacifist. His background is Orthodox Trotskyism so your reference is redundant

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

It isn't 1982 believe it or not but carry on. Pitcairn Islands in dispute with anybody?

I did say "if"...

I also forgot to add Hong Kong to the list which was a British Territory in 1982. :whistling:

Corbyn has opposed every military action and I feel I am justified in saying had he been PM at the time the Falkland would now be called the  "Malvinas" .

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I did say "if"...

I also forgot to add Hong Kong to the list which was a British Territory in 1982. :whistling:

Corbyn has opposed every military action and I feel I am justified in saying had he been PM at the time the Falkland would now be called the  "Malvinas" .

And that would have been a tragedy. The next thing you know, India would have been agitating to withdraw from the Empire.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Corbyn is not a pacifist. His background is Orthodox Trotskyism so your reference is redundant

Yes, he is trying to reinvent the Labour party as Militant Tendency

He was keen to allow former International Marxist Group member Tariq Ali to join the party, despite Labour's National Executive having declared him unacceptable, and declared that "so far as we are concerned ... he's a member of the party and he'll be issued with a card." In May 1982, when Corbyn was chairman of the Constituency Labour Party, Ali was given a party card signed by Corbyn; in November the local party voted by 17 to 14 to insist on his membership "up to and including the point of disbandment of the party".

In the July 1982 edition of London Labour Briefing, Jeremy Corbyn opposed expulsions of the Militant tendency, saying that "If expulsions are in order for Militant, they should apply to us too." In the same year, he was the "provisional convener" of "Defeat the Witch-Hunt Campaign", based at Corbyn's then address

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

You may find that many Labour leaders,not only have private medical insurance, they also send their children to expensive private schools. While dumbing down the state schools.

One thing I have respect for is many Labour MP's, Ministers and even Prim Minister Blair did put their kids first...

But there again trying their best to close the schools down was just being two faced.

12 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes, he is trying to reinvent the Labour party as Militant Tendency

In a thread about May, it is frustrating that the almost universally collective myopia of TV Brexiteers totally ignores the very grave, very real threat to ours and our children's liberties and freedoms that TM presents, and diverts attention to a bumbling, possibly well meaning but wholly ineffective man who has no chance of leading our country. Corbyn and his travails are a diversion away from the real threat we face.

There is nothing wrong with Corbyn, it's just that the Uk has taken a large, wrong step, to the right in recent years, it's actually incredible to me when I hear working class Brits supporting the Tories, the poor are feeling the pinch and looking to lash out somehow but are too stupid to realise it was successive Tory governments over the last 40 years or so which have damaged the uk economy beyond repair......you only have to compare with Germany's achievements over the same period to see this is true.

The fact Corbyn is unflinching in the face of all criticism just means hes principled and doesn't sell out easy ....what exactly should Corybn do to make people happy ? ...become a plastic tory so he can become more electable?

53 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And that would have been a tragedy. The next thing you know, India would have been agitating to withdraw from the Empire.

Except for a very important FACT.  The Indians wanted to govern themselves,while the Falkand islanders voted democratically and overwhelmingly to remain a British colony/protectorate.

7 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

There is nothing wrong with Corbyn

Only the fact that he has reduced the party that will be the official opposition in the next government to a totally ineffective opposition and will he have enough MP's willing do as he says to fill all Shadow Cabinet posts???

Archived