British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

Who said there wouldn't be a second referendum(terminology?) on brexit. Only this time with 7 weeks notice the voters are caught between a rock and a hard place. Freedom of movement comes to mind.

Theresa May has accused EU leaders of preparing to "line up to oppose us" over Brexit, as she made an audacious appeal to Labour supporters to “lend me their vote” to strengthen her hand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-labour-supporters-general-election-lend-me-their-vote-brexit-success-eu-tory-leader-a7706096.html

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Who said there wouldn't be a second referendum(terminology?) on brexit. Only this time with 7 weeks notice the voters are caught between a rock and a hard place. Freedom of movement comes to mind.

Theresa May has accused EU leaders of preparing to "line up to oppose us" over Brexit, as she made an audacious appeal to Labour supporters to “lend me their vote” to strengthen her hand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-labour-supporters-general-election-lend-me-their-vote-brexit-success-eu-tory-leader-a7706096.html

You're going to have to produce something a lot better than an article from the Independent, to convince anyone of your argument.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

You're going to have to produce something a lot better than an article from the Independent, to convince anyone of your argument.

So you believe that TM did not try and persuade labour voters to vote conservative for brexit, entirely up to you.

I have never seen odds of 1/30 for any party in a general election.

Its almost like saying the second will be still running after the race.

No question of a May victory, but will be interesting to see the majority.

At least she's put herself up to be voted for, rather than just be PM by default.

7 hours ago, uptheos said:

I have never seen odds of 1/30 for any party in a general election.

Its almost like saying the second will be still running after the race.

No question of a May victory, but will be interesting to see the majority.

At least she's put herself up to be voted for, rather than just be PM by default.

Tory majority odds is 1/8

On 18/04/2017 at 7:17 PM, Mosha said:

Hopefully Blair will stick his oar in.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

Well said that cat. Blairs got some bottle he'd win over all corners and unite us much better than this secretary.

Well said that cat. Blairs got some bottle he'd win over all corners and unite us much better than this secretary.

I think you misunderstood me. He should be locked up.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, uptheos said:

Need to be careful. Party With Most Seats odds would potentially be a setback for the Conservatives as they won a majority (over all other parties) at the last election, so having one more seat than Labour in reality a defeat from where we are now. The odds I am looking at is Overall Majority and the shortest I am looking at now is 1/14, though BF where the real action is, longer at 2/15.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm pretty sure that this vote will be about brexit - and voters will likely vote according to whichever party supports their remain or leave opinion.

Thanks for letting us know that you are pretty sure.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Thanks for letting us know that you are pretty sure.

No problem :laugh:.

My point was badly made as I was only intending to point out that Corbyn's effectiveness/popularity is largely irrelevant as the Labour Party is supporting remain - and so their 'leave' voters in Labour held areas are likely to vote tory.

Similarly, 'remain' voters in Conservative areas are likely to vote SDP.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

My point was badly made as I was only intending to point out that Corbyn's effectiveness/popularity is largely irrelevant as the Labour Party is supporting remain - and so their 'leave' voters in Labour held areas are likely to vote tory.

The Labour Party civil war which is still continuing and broke out over Corbyn's behaviour over Brexit cannot be discounted. PS only Rip Van Winkle would still think the SDP is running....

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The Labour Party civil war which is still continuing and broke out over Corbyn's behaviour over Brexit cannot be discounted. PS only Rip Van Winkle would still think the SDP is running....

My mistake and, to make it worse, I initially typed SNP :laugh: .

Nonetheless (ignoring the semantics), I stand by my post about the way people are likely IMO to vote.

53 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm pretty sure that this vote will be about brexit - and voters will likely vote according to whichever party supports their remain or leave opinion.

Given that Corbyn's support for remaining in the EU was tepid and that polls show a very different breakdown between the Brexit issue and the elections, it seems clear that this is not the case.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

TM does not need to persuade many Labour Voters all the time that Jeremy Corbyn is the Labour party leader.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39747199

I wouldn't disagree on that Bill, but not in context with the original point.

"as she(TM) made an audacious appeal to Labour supporters to “lend me their vote” to strengthen her hand."

Bloomberg reporting polls showing UKIP vote collapsing in favour of the Tories.

I'd be cautious from left wing Bloomberg analysis however UKIP will struggle in this GE that's for sure, if they get one seat it's a bonus even if it's Nuttal's Skegness & Boston challenge.

Attempting to acquire a credible source on the forthcoming GE when many parties have their own staunch agenda is near pointless. UKIP's main focus is survival and pressurising the Tories on a pragmatic Brexit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I'd be cautious from left wing Bloomberg analysis however UKIP will struggle in this GE that's for sure, if they get one seat it's a bonus even if it's Nuttal's Skegness & Boston challenge.

Attempting to acquire a credible source on the forthcoming GE when many parties have their own staunch agenda is near pointless. UKIP's main focus is survival and pressurising the Tories on a pragmatic Brexit.

'er one UKIP MP who has left the Party, 3 leaders in 12 months and the current leader shy about whether he is going to stand. Time to drum up some Alternative Facts pronto!

22 hours ago, citybiker said:

One seat is a bonus? Right-O. :crazy: UKIP wants a pragmatic Brexit? :cheesy: Keep 'em coming.

Depends on your Brexit viewpoint, a clear signal to EU's Junker to pin your ear's back & listen, the UK is no push over.

"During the Conservative Party leadership campaign I was described by one of my colleagues as a bloody difficult woman. And I said at the time the next person to find that out will be Jean-Claude Juncker."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39784170

(Kenneth Clark (remainer) was & still is the only staunch EU Conservative fan.)

Lost the plot?  Does the UK want Trump as a role model?

The ferocity of the speech stunned Westminster and sent shockwaves all the way to Brussels where senior figures remained tight-lipped in the wake of the attack, while domestic rivals accused Ms May of irresponsible electioneering and mimicking Donald Trump in “winding up” scraps with foreign leaders.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-uk-eu-new-low-relationhips-amid-pm-attack-a7716481.html

Archived