Three killed in Fresno, California, shooting spree, suspect arrested

webfact

Three killed in Fresno, California, shooting spree, suspect arrested

By Dan Whitcomb

REUTERS

r1.jpg

A road is blocked by police tape after a multiple victim shooting incident in downtown Fresno, California, U.S. April 18, 2017. Fresno County Sheriff/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - A gunman with an apparent dislike of white people and government killed three people in downtown Fresno, California, on Tuesday, before he was taken into custody while shouting "Allahu Akhbar," police said.

The suspect, identified as 39-year-old Kori Ali Muhammad, was also wanted in connection with the fatal shooting last week of an unarmed security guard at a Motel 6 in Fresno, Police Chief Jerry Dyer told reporters at a press conference.

Dyer said Muhammad fired at least 16 rounds in less than a minute at four downtown Fresno locations at about 10:45 a.m. local time before he was spotted running through the streets by a police officer.

"Immediately upon the individual seeing the officer he literally dove onto the ground and was taken into custody and as he was taken into custody he yelled out 'Allahu Akhbar,'" Dyer said. The term means "God is great" in Arabic.

"He does not like white people," Dyer said, citing the black suspect's statements after being arrested and his Facebook postings. At least two of his victims were white.

Dyer said his department had contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation over the incident.

The Fresno Bee newspaper reported that the gunman opened fire with a large-caliber handgun while cursing shortly before 11 a.m. near a Catholic Charities building.

Fresno is an agricultural hub in California's central valley, about 170 miles southeast of San Francisco.

County government buildings were placed on lockdown and residents were urged to shelter in place, according to the newspaper.

Local television images showed what appeared to be a body covered in a yellow tarp in a street near where police tape marked off several crime scenes.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb and Steve Gorman; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-19

I've been to Fresno.  One of the more depressing places I've seen in my travels.

It's hard to protect against a whacko like that.  Beserkly sad for the victims.  Could have been nearly anyone.   Too bad the cop didn't shoot him dead - would have saved all the courts time, and municipal money to keep him in the system.   It will probably cost California taxpayers millions of dollars to process and house/feed the guy for the next decades.

He hates whites but likes their judical system. Got away with murder and knows it. The only price he will pay is time in jail. He surrendered as soon as police came. He knows he can plead what ever he wants and tie up courts because he is  black in America.

He will eat good,have regular exercise and wake up every morning.to face a new day Cannot say same for his victims..

20 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

Aaaaaand just found out he was a very loving, peaceful Muslim. I guess this was just his way of spreading peace and tolerance.

or was he another american with mental health issues that shouldn't have access to guns?

4 minutes ago, sgracer said:

or was he another american with mental health issues that shouldn't have access to guns?

That's right, chalk it up to mental health issues, it has nothing to do with the religion itself. This keeps happening over and over and over and over and over again. Sorry, personally I don't have the energy to do all the mental gymnastics necessary to deal with that level of cognitive dissonance.

23 minutes ago, sgracer said:

I agree; it's more of a mental health issue than a religious issue.  In the US, there are many more (people who call themselves) Christians who commit heinous crimes than Muslims. Probably higher, %-wise, than the ratio of Christians to Muslims.   

I've lived in the US for most of my life, and I'd rather have Muslim neighbors than white redneck neighbors.   A friend of a friend was shot dead in his backyard for sunning himself dressed only in his underwear.  There was a high non-see-through wall between the properties.  The white Christian neighbor got angry (he had a 13 yr old daughter), so he grabbed a gun and shot the sunbather.  Is that less-bad than the shooting spree in the OP?

Part of the reason there are so many mentally sick gun-lovers in the US, is indoctrination from movies.   Look at any popular selection of movies (in a video store, or online, for example) and a large portion celebrate gun culture.  In most of those gun-glorifying movies, it's the guy who shoots first who is the hero.   The good guy always hits his target.  The villain rarely does. Since silent movies, American businesses make most of the popular movies.   Americans (and others, worldwide) are indoctrinated by gun-glorifying movies from the time they can sit up in their nappies.

11 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Another terrorist attack that Mr Trump can potentially prevent in future if given support. 

Right, and he can eradicate VD and smelly locker-room socks.   That can be one of Trump's many campaign promises in the 2020 campaign:  

"VOTE FOR ME.  NO MORE SPAZMONIC MURDERS.  MY OPPONENT SUPPORTS MURDERERS, BUT A VOTE FOR ME WILL ERADICATE MURDER, BELIEVE ME."

3 hours ago, sgracer said:

Bingo.  And yet, our Dear Leader (read the Trumpster) just signed an executive order recently which reversed President Obama's ban on gun purchases by the mentally ill. 

So America can thank Trump for this one.  And I assure you, this will be the gift that keeps on giving. 

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Bingo.  And yet, our Dear Leader (read the Trumpster) just signed an executive order recently which reversed President Obama's ban on gun purchases by the mentally ill. 

So America can thank Trump for this one.  And I assure you, this will be the gift that keeps on giving. 

Gun sales come under "state laws", unless the are class lll items.

In this case, if the gun was legal, see Jerry Brown if it was a CA

purchase.

rice555

34 minutes ago, rice555 said:

Gun sales come under "state laws", unless the are class lll items.

In this case, if the gun was legal, see Jerry Brown if it was a CA

purchase.

rice555

So you're saying the bill that Trump signed was meaningless?  Then why did he sign it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-guns-bill-mentally-ill-background-checks-nra-a7604876.html

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

So you're saying the bill that Trump signed was meaningless?  Then why did he sign it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-guns-bill-mentally-ill-background-checks-nra-a7604876.html

"But lawmakers, the National Rifle Association and even the American Civil Liberties Union criticized the rule, saying it unfairly stigmatized the disabled and infringed on their constitutional right to bear arms. 
Senator Charles Grassley, who pushed for the repeal, said the regulations are filled with “vague characteristics that do not fit into the federal mentally defective standard” for prohibiting someone from buying or owning a gun."

Trump only signed what came across his desk, not something he had authored/sponsered, only supported.

Again, the Sandyhook thing, weren't the guns his mothers?? So not really

going to cover under "gun sales" of people with mental problems.

rice555 

Edited by rice555
left out a few words

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

If you check carefully Fresno has issues with the migrant population and some south east Asian groups... it is more gang related violence, shootings like this...

Not sure if this is true or not, but the picture on the Eagles Hotel California

is the front of a halfway house in Fresno, anybody know for sure?

rice555

10 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Another terrorist attack that Mr Trump can potentially prevent in future if given support. 

So how is Trump going to prevent this?   This guy does not appear to be an immigrant so his proposed ban on Muslims won't work.   Is he going to ban Islam?   Is he going to get rid of guns?   

If anything, Trump is contributing to the divisions in US culture.  

I read that this black American, is a Muslim,  who will be  in jail, hopefully for  the  rest  of  his life. And no  he  will not see a bunch of virgins when he dies, that is another myth that ISIL is spreading.

Geezer

On 4/19/2017 at 9:20 PM, rice555 said:

Not sure if this is true or not, but the picture on the Eagles Hotel California

is the front of a halfway house in Fresno, anybody know for sure?

rice555

It's a photo of the Beverly Hills Hotel.

TH 

On 4/19/2017 at 11:08 AM, just.a.thought said:

so he is a racist or is that term reserved for white people only...

So would you classify this as a hate crime?  But wait, he said he was Muslim, so it must be terrorism.  How about just call it what it is, a total nutbag with a gun killing innocent people because he can.  It's almost impossible to stop crimes like this...unless you can take away their guns.  Ooops, this is the USA and the GOP is in power.  So yea, it's impossible to stop this sort of thing in America. 

Can't be a hate crime because he was specifically targeting white people & not black or ethnic minorities.

This happened outside a Christian charity and he was shouting Islamic statements but no, it's not a religious terrorist attack.

He was just a poor misguided soul that didn't know any better....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 21/04/2017 at 5:58 PM, LammyTS1 said:

Can't be a hate crime because he was specifically targeting white people & not black or ethnic minorities.

This happened outside a Christian charity and he was shouting Islamic statements but no, it's not a religious terrorist attack.

He was just a poor misguided soul that didn't know any better....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Fresno Chief of Police assessment is it was a hate crime, not terrorism related.  Accused now being subjected to mental health assessment by the Court.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/18/us/fresno-california-shootings/

On 4/19/2017 at 7:28 PM, Berkshire said:

To practice his signature and hold it up for all the world to see. Narcissism at its best.