Citizens file police complaint over missing plaque

webfact

Citizens file police complaint over missing plaque
By Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

da8db766e32bb36e1abd181d94048dbb.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A group of citizens on Wednesday filed a complaint at Dusit Police Station over the disappearance from the Royal Plaza of the historic plaque that marked the 1932 Siamese Revolution. The plaque was found to be missing last week, and a new one installed in its place with different wording.

The complaint, filed by Apisit Sapnapapan, said the act of taking the plaque away could be deemed a criminal offence under Article 31 of the Ancient Monuments, Antiques, Objects of Art and National Museums Act. Under the Act, anyone found in wrongful possession of an antique was punishable with up to seven years of imprisonment or a Bt700,000 fine.

The act could also be deemed theft of public property, which violates Article 335 of the Criminal Code, the complainant said.

“The two offences are crimes and affect public sentiment," the complainant added. "I would like to file a complaint and request urgent investigation by officers and for them to preserve the plaque placed as a replacement as an evidence in the case."

A group of student activists and academics posted on the Thai Academic Network for Civil Rights Facebook page on Monday, calling on the public to help reclaim the missing plaque. 

They also planned to travel to the Royal Plaza, where the historic plaque has been replaced with a new one, for inspection, and then to Bangkok City Hall to file a petition calling for scrutiny of video footage from security cameras installed in the vicinity of the plaque. 

The activists dispersed after filing the police complaint.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312669

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-19

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

CCTV? Wasn't there a bloody great tent complete with lighting in the very spot just after it was replaced? 

The CCTV and the tent do not remember anything...

They were interrogated but both of them did commit suicide after discovering they had blood poisoning... 

We do not need to remember things of the past, move along, bring back happiness to Mr PM... :jap: 

Good for them pointing out the laws that were broken, as police didn't have a clue, as when yesterday brilliantly said "the owners are the ones who could file" or some such statement. BTW have they released the first petitioner yet? He broke no law. (oops just read the next story. My bad)

And then there is the case of the emerald Buddha....

Edited by Emster23
I'm lazy, okay?

I love the fact that they pointed out that the new plaque should be removed and held as evidence - purposefully making the police look as ineffectual as they are.

On a side note: will I be arrested if I go an remove the new one? Since noone claims ownership of the new one I could take it an nobody would file a complaint of theft right (as doing so would reveal ownership)? From what I understand a complaint must be filed for police to investigate a theft. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I love the fact that they pointed out that the new plaque should be removed and held as evidence - purposefully making the police look as ineffectual as they are.

On a side note: will I be arrested if I go an remove the new one? Since noone claims ownership of the new one I could take it an nobody would file a complaint of theft right (as doing so would reveal ownership)? From what I understand a complaint must be filed for police to investigate a theft. :unsure:

Arrested, gaoled and deported I suspect. 

It will go down as one of the greatest heist in the history of the world. These thieves came into a high security area, in the middle of a busy road, elluded CCTV cameras and in the mids of preperations for a national holiday, took out the plaque measured it, put it back,  got a new design done, manufactured it and go back to steal the original one and put the fake in. Like the new plaque says the people must be happy, oih now I confused is it on the new plaque or is it the words of a well known person thats obsessed with the peoples happiness. 

Edited by SOUTHERNSTAR
Spelling

36 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Looks like the people of Thailand have a certain love for their herritage and expect it to be preserved.  Wished the Thai military, RTP and the courts felt the same way.  

I think  this goes way way up greasy pole so such feelings would be entirely nullified 

When was the original plaque installed?

I hoped to find the answer on the world-wide web and the page Memorial Plaque set into the Royal Plaza commemorating the 24th June, 1932 Revolution. Bangkok. July 2009 looked promising, but the information is not there. Also the article JUNTA WARNS AGAINST COMMEMORATING BIRTH OF THAI DEMOCRACY published in June 2015 did not help.

9 minutes ago, Puccini said:

When was the original plaque installed?

I hoped to find the answer on the world-wide web and the page Memorial Plaque set into the Royal Plaza commemorating the 24th June, 1932 Revolution. Bangkok. July 2009 looked promising, but the information is not there. Also the article JUNTA WARNS AGAINST COMMEMORATING BIRTH OF THAI DEMOCRACY published in June 2015 did not help.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/978922-thai-cops-baffled-over-missing-plaque/

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

Good for them. Of course they know the police won't do squat; but it's worthwhile to embarrass the RTP by high-lighting its uselessness.

27 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The RTP DAREN'T do squat, not won't.

Correct, but it's still worthwhile embarrassing them.  They are a key part of a rotten system.