Visa for 3-6 months stay

My wife and I, a retired Australian couple (wife from Laos originally), would like to spend more time in Thailand where we lived for quite a long time.

We're thinking of 3 - 6 months each year, but would prefer not to do visa runs. One visa run after three months would be OK.

Neither of us have any plans to work, but I would be interested in doing an advanced Thai language course.

Is there a visa class we can apply for that would meet our needs?

A multiple entry tourist visa would allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. Each entry can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office. You would only need to do one border run to get 6 months of total stay after getting a 30 day extension of the first entry.

You could also get a single entry tourist visa before staring your trip that would allow a total stay of 90 days (60 + 30). Then go to a nearby embassy or consulate. to get another single entry visa.

It is possible to enroll in a school to study Thai. With paperwork from a school that would allow you to get a single entry non-ed that would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for 90 days at an immigration office. You would need to enroll for a course of study of 200 hours to get the visa and extension.

Thank you, Ubonjoe, for this very helpful information.

I shall follow up the Thai study option as well as the multiple entry tourist visa.

One further question. When I bought a plane ticket a couple of years ago having a 60 day tourist visa the travel agent would only write the ticket for three months. She'd been told that Thai Airways wouldn't issue a ticket for a period longer than the duration of the visa (60+30 days, I suppose).  If we are able to stay for, say, 5 or 6 months, can we extend the return date of the ticket in Bangkok? 

6 minutes ago, Xangsamhua said:

One further question. When I bought a plane ticket a couple of years ago having a 60 day tourist visa the travel agent would only write the ticket for three months. She'd been told that Thai Airways wouldn't issue a ticket for a period longer than the duration of the visa (60+30 days, I suppose).  If we are able to stay for, say, 5 or 6 months, can we extend the return date of the ticket in Bangkok? 

That is strange since a return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa. You can buy a one way ticket and travel to here.

You could change your the return date of your flight but there would be change fees to do it.

19 minutes ago, OldPedro said:

I'm surprised at this because when I apply for my usual 2 month tourist visa they require copy of return e ticket with the application....do different states in Aus have different rules?

Some embassies and consulates want a ticket out of Thailand when applying for a tourist visa. A return ticket is not required.

Not the same as an airline saying they want one. The rules state a return or onward ticket is not required for entry to the country if you have a valid visa.

Hi ubonjoe!

It make me wonder why when I did travel onward ANA ask me to see my return ticket and I had a METV and schedule to get out in seven month and it is now next week.

So when i return next time I could only get a METV   and bye a one way ticket even if I stay more than 6 months??

You think that would work?

22 minutes ago, mettech said:

Hi ubonjoe!

It make me wonder why when I did travel onward ANA ask me to see my return ticket and I had a METV and schedule to get out in seven month and it is now next week.

So when i return next time I could only get a METV   and bye a one way ticket even if I stay more than 6 months??

You think that would work?

Some airline personnel are not really all that familiar with the requirements. The only time you need a return or onward ticket is if you don't have a valid visa for entry.

Many people living here buy round trip tickets for their trips and have no ticket out of the country when they arrive.

In your case it depends upon what the embassy or consulate want when you to apply for the METV. With a one way ticket to here the might want to see a ticket out of the country but that could be a one way ticket to a nearby country.

You both can come on a 1 month tourist visa then enroll In a thai language  school you can get a  6 month or 12 month course  you only have to leave 1 time to activate  the education  visa

Then you go to immagration every 90 days with the school representative  to get your extension

Thailand language course cost between 20 000b for 6 months this includes the visa or 35 000b for 12 months

If your wanting to learn Thai  is a option and very easy to do 

item of clarification: "departure card"; required copy for a number of visas; it is really half of an arrival card/departure card; the arrrival part is filled out and surrendered at entry immigration; the departure part has a corresponding number that ties it to the arrival portion; i use my old departure 'card' which is blank

(the ink is fading which is an issue to deal with)

so even if you have no intention of ever leaving, you need this 'departure card' (or copy)