Tourist Visa Phnom Penh

Hi all, I was planning to get a tourist visa 60 days with 30 day extension from Thai embassy in  Phnom Penh next month. I have never used that embassy but when I looked at their website it seems very strict.

Does anyone know what its like and what I would need to show to get a tourist visa there?

Hi all, I was planning to get a tourist visa 60 days with 30 day extension from Thai embassy in  Phnom Penh next month. I have never used that embassy but when I looked at their website it seems very strict.

Does anyone know what its like and what I would need to show to get a tourist visa there?

You have to use one of the many agents. They make a call you get a yes/no or you need this evidence first. Pay your money collect a few​ days later.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

You can pay extra for quick service,
Do some searching on setv reports sticky.
I get the impression if you don't​ use an agent and therefore spread your cash around their fellow countrymen your application will be treated strictly.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

I am going to give advice (based on personal experience) that differs somewhat from what most will give.

First, if you apply in person, the normal turnaround time is 4 business days. That is, assuming no holidays, if you apply on a Monday, you get the visa on the Thursday. You need the help of an agent (available at the consulate or elsewhere) to get expedited service (next day very expensive, three-day service less so).

If you have a limited history of previous tourist visas in your passport (total, not just from Phnom Penh) they are likely to issue a tourist visa without difficulty whether through an agent or in person.

If you have many previous tourist visas, Phnom Penh is not a good place to apply. They will be strict in their requirements (whether you use an agent or not) often asking for financial proof as well as onward flight tickets and hotel bookings.  Indeed, in that situation, it is better to do the application in person where they can question you (not very politely) and satisfy themselves that you are not working illegally in Thailand. If you use an agent, delays while they ask for additional documents, followed by a provisional denial subject to your going to the consulate for questioning, is not unlikely. If you have initially used an agent in this situation, you have wasted money and time.

Having applied yourself in person, and received their reluctant assent to grant a visa, you can use an agent at the consulate to facilitate bringing forward the date when you receive back your passport and visa.

• Like 2

Visa services are available from inside Phnom Penh (Lucky Lucky, never used them myself, or maybe I did over some other agent) or the cities, I personally know of Koh Kong (right after the border at the coast), Sihanoukville, and Kampot. Will charge some 40-50 USD over the visa cost. Which is worth the money, unless you have a personal interest in going to Phnom Penh.

Will indeed depend on your track record of tourist visa. Paperwork will include an onward ticket, booked accommodation in Thailand, and an amount of 20.000 Baht up in some bank account. Have copies of that ready in any case. Time to get your passport with the visa might be up to 4 working days, that is my experience, but I use Non-O visa.

Working illegally in Thailand is the ulterior motive in the embassies' or consulates' considerations. Bear that in mind, whatever you are doing there, and accommodate.

• Like 1

Virtually no Farang goes to the embassy in person.I was once called to the embassy for an interview:There was not a single other Farang in the office,, only Africans and Asians. 

Going through an agent you won't need any documentation,just passport and a photo,they even fill out and sign the application form for you. 

Even with more than 3 TV in your passport you still have a fair chance of getting another one in PP without the red warning stamp,while in Vientiane you will probably get the warning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Virtually no Farang goes to the embassy in person.I was once called to the embassy for an interview:There was not a single other Farang in the office,, only Africans and Asians. 

Going through an agent you won't need any documentation,just passport and a photo,they even fill out and sign the application form for you. 

Even with more than 3 TV in your passport you still have a fair chance of getting another one in PP without the red warning stamp,while in Vientiane you will probably get the warning.

i did 4 tourist visa in a row in vientiane no problem at all it was the easiest way

• Like 1

maybe so but if he  is looking to avoid red stamps, i think vientiane is super easy

bring your papers in the morning, get drunk and pick them up the next night

i did this with my old passport that must have contained more than 8 different visa from thailand

between all the other visa  from afrika china taiwan amerika en so on

i think to lazy to check anything overthere

8 minutes ago, fdch said:

maybe so but if he  is looking to avoid red stamps, i think vientiane is super easy

i did this with my old passport that must have contained more than 8 different visa from thailand

You shouldn't call them lazy because maybe they'll read this and start a crackdown. I think it's more the case that they're not making up their own rules like other places do.

Have they improved the queuing system? Last time I went ages ago you had to queue for hours outside and there were loads of queue jumpers but I remember reading somewhere that now they have a ticket system.

As others have said - they like to spread the money around - that way they can charge virually double. They won't even extend my long term Cambodian visas at the immigration office here in Phnom Penh - I have to go through an agent so that everyone gets a cut from the scam. Friends who come here for Thai  visas regularly tell me the Blue Tongue Hotel provides a reliable, express service for extra cost - hope that helps.

• Like 1

i'm just curious why no one has mentioned an alternative to using the outside agents which is to use the security guard on the gate outside the embassy. I used him about two years ago and he was able to get my Visa within 48 hours(i.e. he took my passport in the morning and he told me to collect it late in the afternoon the next day).

How it happened was I was waiting for the embassy to open early in the morning and he approached me and solicited his services pointing out that he could help me as an alternative to waiting a long time to get my passport back. When he convinced me he took my documents inside obviously to consult the decision-makers and came back out and said everything was okay.

The way I figured it was if we all accept that even outside agents are paying people off even if it's a small amount,I'm sure they much prefer to keep it " within the family " so to speak. It was a little bit clandestine (as one would expect)in that when I went to collect it he led  me away a short distance from the security gate house and he reached into his jacket pocket to get my passport but that didn't surprise me either.

Edited by Asiantravel

A bank-statement from an account with over $1000 USD was recommended to me by an agent (lucky lucky).  I used my Bangkok Bank book, but I assume one from another country would be fine.  I also provided my condo lease-agreement for proof of where I was staying in Thailand.  I received 2 visas from them in a row with this - the 2nd a few months ago - have not tried for a 3rd.   A ticket-out of Thailand was also suggested as helpful (though I did not need to provide it at that time).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fdch said:

'next night'. ?

I recommended this in another thread: Go to the travel agent right next to Paddy Rice Irish Pub adjacent to St 136. 5$ if you have documents/proof, 10$ if you don't. Easiest solution. Don't bother going to the embassy. Takes about 2-3 days depending of the time of the day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 10:26 AM, thecyclist said:

Even with more than 3 TV in your passport you still have a fair chance of getting another one in PP without the red warning stamp

I can confirm this. Received my sixth TV in passport last year, from the PP embassy (only one issued outside of PP), no request for additional documentation (hotel or flight). Just handed passport and money to visa agent (5 oceans), and picked up a few days later. I always leave a few months between entries, which might have something to do with it.

3 hours ago, jacob29 said:

I can confirm this. Received my sixth TV in passport last year, from the PP embassy (only one issued outside of PP), no request for additional documentation (hotel or flight). Just handed passport and money to visa agent (5 oceans), and picked up a few days later. I always leave a few months between entries, which might have something to do with it.

I think your "time out" periods may have a lot to do with it.  The max is usually 3 from them.  Other TR Visas in your passport may affect their decision, but this is not clear from the reports we have so far.

Just now, mobiryder said:

Can someone PM me a good visa agent please?

Thank you in advance.

Why does it have to be a PM? There are agents mentioned in this thread and if anyone has other suggestions why would they just tell you instead of sharing it with everyone?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mobiryder said:

Sorry. I only noticed 'Lucky Lucky'.  I assumed direct contact info was not being posted to the public for some reason.

"Lucky, Lucky Moto" is the full name.  The visa office is in the back.  "413Eo, Monivong" is the address (most downtown tuk-tuks or moto-drivers will know the place, from taking other visa-hunters there).  [email protected] is the email on their business card. 

Lucky Lucky in PP  on Monivong

Ana Travel in Shinoukville

PP will give MAX 3 visas in a row

the above is NOT  exactly in a row ( ie as leaving thailand and applying for a new visa the next day)

Having a few weeks/months between visas is easy everywhere to do

13 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Lucky Lucky in PP  on Monivong

Ana Travel in Shinoukville

What's the turnaround time for Ana Travel in Sihanoukville? Taking the bus there from Bangkok (done it once before and it wasn't that bad with a stopover in Koh Kong) and then a few days on the beach seems a good option.

Mottah Travel in Sihanoukville is another (cheaper) agent I've seen mentioned before.

Edited by edwardandtubs