Personal Stock Market Trading

HI everyone

Do I need a work permit to personally trade on the markets from my home in LOS?  I intend only to trade on my own behalf, in my own name, pay all relevant taxes on returns,  both Thia and UK.  My visa will be either marriage to a Thai National, or retirement, haven't decided which yet.  I can't find any advice on this on the Thai websites.  I would assume from what I have found  that I don't need a WP for this kind of personal investment activity, but its best to check.

Thanks in anticipation.

Doing your own investing is not a job, per se. 

Is the broker in another country?

No concern for where you are sitting when you transact.  However if you start Pilotman Equities as a Thai company that'll be another story entirely (and a very bad idea).

But maybe you can run afoul of the gambling laws.  Oh wait, playing the stock market isn't gambling, I keep forgetting that.  :biggrin:

Use a VPN.

Edited by bendejo

There have been many many threads on similar topic, since you are close to being classified as a "digital nomad".  I personally don't think there is any law being broken as reasonably interpreted.  Many people live and retire in thailand but maintain their finances and primary accounts in their home country.  Of course they will monitor them, update their portfolios, maybe even have investment properties run by a management company that they have to communicate with now and then.  Those things are done daily by many expats in Thailand.  But I would take a little caution and not advertise trading, or making money or otherwise bring attention to yourself.  And frankly, I would be cautious about what you tell your Thai wife.  Things sometimes get lost in translation and if she is talking to friends or other people, some things may get misinterpreted.

• Like 1

no, but perhaps you may be surprised by big refunds on your next Thai tax return. on the pro rata share of corporate taxes ****ahead**** of Thai dividends. not always so easy to figure out... Thai Revenue is usually very helpful.

not much information? because it's pretty blasé to be a SET investor. it's a retail investor led market, computerized and online,  with bids and offers displayed with a regular retail account. in fact, a big advantage to trading here is that unlike when we use a non Thai bank or broker... an "overseas" broker... for Thai securities.. they will be held at the TSD in our own names and as well not commingled with other customers... which for most of us is a good thing... re: the tax refund mentioned above.

Edited by maewang99

Taxes are due ONLY for proceeds/profits/earnings transferred to Thailand in the year they are earned - not otherwise.  If your trading is overseas, and you don't move the earnings here in the year they are earned, you don't need to pay taxes on those earnings here.