Britain will lose more from Brexit than EU, bloc's foreign policy chief says

webfact

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Always find it amusing listening to the self-aggrandising eurocrats and their meek sheeple.
This type of talk is designed to dissuade others from leaving this dying, undemocratic club. And if it were true, who cares about the monetary value, at least the 'Equal' (to whom? lol) member had the guts to call it a day.

How difficult it is to understand that vast majority of us Europeans are happy with EU?

Brexit is a divorce. If UK was unhappy with EU, then by all means: go, fly to your new future. There is no reason to hang in broken relationship.

Now when the brexit is happening, there will be negotiations. Our 500M people's economy will have upper hand against UK's 70M. After all, that is one reason we have EU in the first place - we have much more negotiation power than any single country would have alone.

Sail away. 1 year 11 months.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Is this a joke? FYI, there is very little love towards Russia from Russia's bordering countries. Very, very little.

You really are a little naive  oinlinki aren't you. When did lots of money have anything to do with who you like 70 years ago--- Google passports sold --you dont even have to go to the dark web (although there is plenty more being offered there )

EU passport: Agencies with links to Russian mafia offer back-door route to millions--http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854525/Not-Romanian-No-problem-s-EU-passport-Agencies-links-Russian-mafia-offer-door-route-millions.html

Yes I do know a little of the history of Finland---you fought alongside or with great support from the Nazis against Russia from 1941--1944 then change sides.....I am sure you feel well at home in Thailand.

The Finland Continuation War of 1941–1944 (with considerable support from Nazi Germany )resulting in a swift invasion of neighboring areas of the Soviet Union), eventually leading to the loss of Finland's only ice-free winter harbour Petsamo. The Continuation War was, in accordance with the armistice conditions, immediately followed by the Lapland War of 1944–1945, when Finland fought the Germans --Wikipedia

20 hours ago, Grouse said:

Federica is saying it as it is

She's saying it as it suits her agenda and to keep her job,

Most of the Italian politicians want to take Italy out of the Euro Zone, and a significant number want to leave the EU.

She has to sing the EU song and repeat the EU is great mantra. 

Italy could well be the surprise that brings the house of cards tumbling.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

How difficult it is to understand that vast majority of us Europeans are happy with EU?

Brexit is a divorce. If UK was unhappy with EU, then by all means: go, fly to your new future. There is no reason to hang in broken relationship.

Now when the brexit is happening, there will be negotiations. Our 500M people's economy will have upper hand against UK's 70M. After all, that is one reason we have EU in the first place - we have much more negotiation power than any single country would have alone.

How do you know the vast majority of Europeans are happy with the EU? Btw, not all Europeans live in European countries that are in the EU.

The citizens of the EU have never been given the chance to express their desire on the push by certain politicians towards ever greater integration, unification and federalism. The French Foreign Minister, brave man, suggested they should do so by referendum after Brexit. He was quickly silenced. 

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Always find it amusing listening to the self-aggrandising eurocrats and their meek sheeple.
This type of talk is designed to dissuade others from leaving this dying, undemocratic club. And if it were true, who cares about the monetary value, at least the 'Equal' (to whom? lol) member had the guts to call it a day.

Of course. They can't have a federalist United States of Europe without member states. She must be worried too that Italy has strong political forces that want out the Euro and the EU.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

UK currently pays around £12 Billion / year to EU.One of the net contributors.

While we get some of that back in subsidies and grants etc, that is still a big chunk of money. I'm sure the other EU countries, whether contributors such as Holland and Germany, or those poorer ones on the receiving ends of large EU investment, are not looking forward to either having to increase contributions, or suffer a reduction in what they get.

Pretty sure Germany is not looking forward to having to help cover any shortfall. That's why they are pushing for a "divorce bill."

Federica is Italian. There will soon be one  less country to help bail out the Italian Banks. 

Will Brexit hurt UK? Certainly in the short term,  But the EU is on a downward spiral, and sooner or later it will all end in tears.

Sure you're right. Let's also start and diminish the German wonder economy myth. The US and UK both meet their NATO spend obligations and are number 1 and 2 in the world for giving foreign aid.

Germany hasn't met it's NATO obligation and now declares it won't bother and that the contacts it signed up to mean nothing to it. German companies are a disgrace - VW with deliberately lying for years, cover up, and paying quick deals to try and hush it all up; Siemens with bribery in Asia; DB who seem to loose money whilst helping screw Greece. 

So yes the reality is that whilst Germany realized than economic power and holding the purse strings is a better way to control other countries rather than invading or bombing them into submission, they can't be relishing the idea of making up a chunk of the UK's contribution.

Too many takers out and not enough putters in. So they'll try and con a big some of money out of the UK - pay up or we won't do any deal threat. Germany is becoming a good example, under Merkel, of what's wrong in the EU - fundamentally lying. Weaseling out of your own obligations whilst trying to make up obligations for other that suit you.

Britain should and probably will honor it's obligations; providing the EU honor's theirs. 

Switzerland and Norway seem to manage OK outside the EU. An unelected nonentity jetting half way round the world first class is one good reason to be out rather than in. Brexit is the beginning of the end for the EU; others will surely follow.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

500m collectively, not singularly. Tell that to Ireland, who will lose its largest export destination. The Irish government is already shouting about this.

Hey folks we live in a BS world what do you expect her to say. Throw her hands up in the air and say all is lost. We have all on TV been around the block a few times over the generations and know how this BS plays out. Its all a game a charade trying to scare people fear mongering its how they govern today. That phrase "truth is blowing on the wind" is long gone. Truth is such a rare thing it shocks me when I come in contact with it today. We live in a manure spreader world.  

On 4/20/2017 at 3:16 PM, webfact said:

"Let me tell you that to me all member states are important, equally, because one can be contributing more on some policies than others. But I think our British friends will lose more than what we lose," she said.

Tell that to the Greeks. 

44 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

How do you know the vast majority of Europeans are happy with the EU? Btw, not all Europeans live in European countries that are in the EU.

The citizens of the EU have never been given the chance to express their desire on the push by certain politicians towards ever greater integration, unification and federalism. The French Foreign Minister, brave man, suggested they should do so by referendum after Brexit. He was quickly silenced. 

Baerboxer, I agree with your theme totally.

However, individual nations have been given a vote on greater integration, under whichever treaty was the flavour of that day. Denmark, Ireland, France rejected ratifying different, evolving treaties. However, some were given another chance, others just got ignored!!

And ratification votes were planned in plenty of other countries, they just never took place.

And in the UK, the war criminal Blair stated there would be a vote, however he handed power (when he knew he was toast at the next election) to Brown, who decided alone that there was no need as the latest treaty wasn't the same as the one Blair offered on!!

I understand totally if these issues would not become world news, as the eurocrats wouldnt like 'this info spreading.

And as for France, google Çalais Libre''to see what is happening and why the news of the riots is shut down. 

Le Pen stands a great chance in the upcoming presidential election.

15 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

The anti UK stuff here lol.

We will be just fine out of the EU. France will be next then the Eu will crumble and the nation's will all get their sovereignty back.

Which is the crux on the entire argument. To a large extent the EU forced the hand of the British over one single issue... sovereignty. All this supposed xenophobic nonsense pilled onto the backs of UK people is just that, nonsense. The EU will likely disintegrate after the UK leaves but by that I mean in its present form. I voted Brexit because I'm unwilling to be told what to do by a bunch of unelected people whole sole purpose is to look busy and pass legislation for no rational reason in an effort to look, as said, busy. I'm sick of these pro EU stalwarts who said nothing when the Lisbon Treaty was foistered on people yet bitch when down the line people complain.

23 minutes ago, delh said:

Le Pen stands a great chance in the upcoming presidential election.

She has a few warts but maybe not as many as some other candidates. I just hope she is not another "princess" that turns into a frog. The world now is full of jumping political toads and frogs and not one handsum prince among them .

Edited by elgordo38

Everyone has an opinion on Brexit and it's effect on both the UK and the EU. The truth is that we don't know how much damage is going to be inflicted on both sides but there will be lot's of "statistics" that each side will be quoting to make their case.  The negotiations haven't started yet and we are still at the posturing stage.  There will be a lot of moving of goalposts as the months go on.  For example May has now decided to remove foreign students studying in Britain from the immigrant list to ease the pressure on getting those figures down.  That will give her a 175,000 head start.  Much more to come I am sure.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Everyone has an opinion on Brexit and it's effect on both the UK and the EU. The truth is that we don't know how much damage is going to be inflicted on both sides but there will be lot's of "statistics" that each side will be quoting to make their case.  The negotiations haven't started yet and we are still at the posturing stage.  There will be a lot of moving of goalposts as the months go on.  For example May has now decided to remove foreign students studying in Britain from the immigrant list to ease the pressure on getting those figures down.  That will give her a 175,000 head start.  Much more to come I am sure.

Politicians have a way of whittling away at things. I just look back some 20 years at my retirement and my retirement check to affirm that. 

20 minutes ago, notmyself said:

We will be just fine out of the EU. France will be next then the Eu will crumble and the nation's will all get their sovereignty back.

Last one out turn out the lights. Going back to square one will be costly and painful. I can still remember my gall bladder operation. 

Edited by elgordo38

Well the clock is ticking with the French election looming closer.  The latest attack in Paris certainly bolsters the far rights argument and may affect the voting.  If France does leave the EU then that would be the death of it.  Hopefully then a new trading group could rise from the ashes and that would be a good thing.  However it would involve a fair amount of blood on the carpet in the meantime and quite a bit of finger pointing and blame games.  All this will take years and the way the world is changing at the moment everything is uncertain.

30 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

She has a few warts but maybe not as many as some other candidates. I just hope she is not another "princess" that turns into a frog. The world now is full of jumping political toads and frogs and not one handsum prince among them .

Fascism is a fairly large wart

3 minutes ago, delh said:

Ah yes, the totally trustworthy, non biased, brexit supporting (haha) BBC. 

Zero credibility. 

Google it.

I'm proud of the BBC

It's very disloyal of you not to support such a thoroughly British institution!

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I'm proud of the BBC

Disloyal, interesting words.  I guess this is a wind up?

Back in 85, I witnessed  good old auntie beeb rent a car from central Joburg, drive to Soweto, PAY local youths to stone and burn it.

Then report it!  Riots in Soweto... <deleted>.

And then, go back to Avis Hillbrow, told them they were mugged.  

Avis were mugged.

But hey, the car was insured. 

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

Edited by delh
Overlooked a point.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I'm proud of the BBC

I think  Sir Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris would certainly agree with you, and many more. The BBC knew their antics and just turned a blind eye. Whatever credibility the beeb had it certainly doesn't have that now.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think  Sir Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris would certainly agree with you, and many more. The BBC knew their antics and just turned a blind eye. Whatever credibility the beeb had it certainly doesn't have that now.

The likes of Johnners,  Trueman, the bearded wonder, and John Arlott would be turning in their grave.

It will be an economic shock and I dont think people understand this.  I'd guess a 5-10% hit on GDP over a few years.  And it will seem worse as the rest of the world will be posting higher growth as the global economy seems to be on the up again.  I doubt a trade deal can be reached beyond what Canada has, but there will be some fudge over financial services.

50/50 whether we lose Scotland or not, but perhaps that is going to happen anyway.  Some say good riddance.  Not me.

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It will be an economic shock and I dont think people understand this.  I'd guess a 5-10% hit on GDP over a few years.  And it will seem worse as the rest of the world will be posting higher growth as the global economy seems to be on the up again.  I doubt a trade deal can be reached beyond what Canada has, but there will be some fudge over financial services.

50/50 whether we lose Scotland or not, but perhaps that is going to happen anyway.  Some say good riddance.  Not me.

Understanding your opinion, fair call. 

However, I believe the fallout will be far worse for individual EU states than for the UK.

Can you imagine the impact of Spanish fishing fleets not being able to enter, or chased out of, British waters

on the day after an agreement or non agreement?

Or Mercedes, BMW, Peugeot, Citroen, Seat etc having a price hike in the UK?

World headlines, UK navy involvement etc?  EU uproar on our selfishness etc, etc,

Which way would the markets go on that day?

And which way would the EU go?