Unidentified foreign tourist's body recovered from Phuket beach

webfact

23 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

The sea conditions are bad enough at the best of time without alcohol.... more so further up around Kata where drownings are an every day/weekly occurrence and not always widely reported.

My thoughts to his family at this time!RIP

Kata is a relatively sheltered beach, and still very much ok. Karon and e.g. Nai Harn are more open and prone to wavier conditions.

At the moment the conditions are still ok, there can be waves but no rips, but slowly slowly the conditions are getting less favourable.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/21/2017 at 9:30 PM, NamKangMan said:

Or, got beaten up and robbed thrown into the water. 

We must think of the damage to the tourism industry when considering all possible scenarios. 

Clearly a psychic, with such skills you should be a Sergeant with the Tourist Police 

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No it does not. Thailand attracts males who are predisposed to early death. Consider the demographics of  many of these alleged suspicious deaths;

- A history of smoking, alcohol and recreational drug use.

- Pre-existing  medical conditions such as heart disease, renal failure, pulmonary disease etc.

- Pre-existing mental illness

- Predisposition to dangerous behaviours such as criminality (e.g. drunk driving, fighting)

Thailand is a  location that attracts people who  occupy the population segment that is already at a high risk of an early death. If these people remained in their home countries, they would be  reflected in the suicide and death by misadventure stats there. 

In plain language don't blame Thailand because some guy with blocked arteries has a heart attack at the beach, or an alcoholic finally succumbs to cirrhosis, or a violent  foreigner who lived on the edge of society pushed it too far, or a mentally ill man jumps off a balcony etc. There are indeed some cases where foreigners are murdered, however, the vast majority, the overwhelming number of foreign deaths are due to the behaviour and the lifestyle of the foreigner.  How many times must it be said that foreigners should not rent jet skis, bungee jump, parasail at the beach or rent motorbikes if they have no driving experience on a motorbike or in the developing world? And yet they do. These people must take responsibility for their own stupidity. It is easier to stay alive in Thailand if one uses common sense and acts responsibly. Behave like a clueless adolescent and you get splattered.

What percentage of Ferangs predisposed to death by any thing other than Jumping from balcony's, Hanging themselves with plastic bags over their heads and hands tied behind their backs, Mysteriously vanishing, being murdered by person or persons unknown on "idyllic" islands, The case of the soldier that came over to see his ex wife and vanished, The deep diver girl that went missing and has never been seen again.The guy who was,or was not pushed from his room, in walking street.The death of the Web site guy who was murdered and one of the suspected murderers is still in the run.And these are the ones we only hear about. I have made no comment on the guy that drowned on the beach, as such, because the jury is still out on that one.But it seems to me that a lot of people are found dead, and there are, amazingly, witnesses to say that he was in a drunken state.You can say what you want, but it still remains that there are a lot of deaths concerning healthy people that go unexplained. 

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

What it really points out is the basic fact that many expats, probably 20 to 35 years of age, of whatever nationality come to this part of the world on a cheap flight from wherever and get themselves into all sorts of situations because they have worked for 48 weeks of the years and saved enough for a four week blast of booze and xxxxxxx.

At 10pm they don't have to get home because it's freezing cold and then sit in the heat drinking until they are wasted and all of the little common sense they have goes out the window.

They then decide to get on a motorbike or go for a swim when they're in the condition, as my father used to say, they couldn't bite their own finger.

As per the report they go in the sea and can't tell what's up, down or sideways.

Sad that they cause their families sadness.

But, as they say in Russia, Toughky Shitsky.

I agree that alcohol and drugs may have a lot to do with it.As you say, a blast of booze, maybe a little substance usage. It is true that over here many people take things to the extreme and these people become prey to criminal activity. And also getting into trouble in strange waters acn also have a bearing on the demise of such.But why is it that, in the case of people dying, the police have the remarkable talent of automatically becoming Autopsy surgeons and are able to dianose the cause of death at the scene.

"Hey sarge, just pulled another dead one out of the water. Drowned yeah?"

"Hey sarge this guy, dead in his room, no signs of a struggle, and no signs that he had anybody else with him, heart attack yeah?"

47 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

What percentage of Ferangs predisposed to death by any thing other than Jumping from balcony's, Hanging themselves with plastic bags over their heads and hands tied behind their backs, Mysteriously vanishing, being murdered by person or persons unknown on "idyllic" islands, The case of the soldier that came over to see his ex wife and vanished, The deep diver girl that went missing and has never been seen again.The guy who was,or was not pushed from his room, in walking street.The death of the Web site guy who was murdered and one of the suspected murderers is still in the run.And these are the ones we only hear about. I have made no comment on the guy that drowned on the beach, as such, because the jury is still out on that one.But it seems to me that a lot of people are found dead, and there are, amazingly, witnesses to say that he was in a drunken state.You can say what you want, but it still remains that there are a lot of deaths concerning healthy people that go unexplained. 

No, the jury is not out on this one.

The rest of your rant is totally off topic, why don't you start a new thread about unexplained deaths?

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The rest of your rant is totally off topic, why don't you start a new thread about unexplained deaths?

Its not a rant, and that's a foolish remark. Its a point of view, which we are allowed to have and post.Maybe you are a little above yourself and think that you are the font of all knowledge. Well, Im sorry you lost your temper. It would seem that you are incapable of having a conversation without trying to accuse me of being off topic. If this is so, i am sure i would have been advised as such.

The cases i have mentioned are real.Do you deny that they ever existed?

Anyway, you must excuse me, i have some paint to watch drying.:coffee1:

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Its not a rant, and that's a foolish remark. Its a point of view, which we are allowed to have and post.Maybe you are a little above yourself and think that you are the font of all knowledge. Well, Im sorry you lost your temper. It would seem that you are incapable of having a conversation without trying to accuse me of being off topic. If this is so, i am sure i would have been advised as such.

The cases i have mentioned are real.Do you deny that they ever existed?

Anyway, you must excuse me, i have some paint to watch drying.:coffee1:

Yes, some people think the earth is flat. Also a point of view.

On 4/22/2017 at 0:29 PM, Royal 8er said:

Or maybe some cant help themselves doing more thai bashing because it fits with their anti all things thai agenda

Don't take his views so seriously. Most people, when they see hoof-prints in the sand, they think horses.

NKM thinks Zebras.......

13 hours ago, todlad said:

You have probably already gathered that I do not subscribe to such wild imaginings as we have read in your rubbish.

In some cases here, the articles we read are incomplete and/or are poorly written/translated. One has to tread carefully with such stories.

In this case, I read a simple story about a man who had imbibed toxins that had affected his judgement. The man then died at his own hand. I believe there is no reason to reject the description of the assistance or advice that local people offered this man. To that end I felt no need to suggest anything as ludicrous as you did.

To answer your question: my first thought was to remember that well known phrase of Captain Mainwaring, you stupid boy! My second thought was to reject your notions as offensive to Thailand and the Thai people.

If you live in Thailand, I wonder why.

"In some cases here, the articles we read are incomplete and/or are poorly written/translated. One has to tread carefully with such stories." - yet, you believe this reported story, completely.  How do you distinguish between the stories you accept, and the ones you reject????

In this case, I have suggested a possible alternate scenario, where you have accepted the report as the truth.  Tomorrow, there may be an article that I accept, but you will suggest an alternate scenario..  In your own words, "tread carefully with such stories."  As you can see, I obviously do.  Do you????

"In this case, I read a simple story about a man who had imbibed toxins that had affected his judgement. The man then died at his own hand." - and you know this as fact because you "read a simple story."  Right????

They are still looking for Sadam's "Weapons of Mass Destruction."  If you want to sell a lie - put it in the media.   

One must keep an open mind when "treading carefully with such stories."  Right? 

As for my post being offensive to Thailand and Thai people, I couldn't care less.

As for my motive for living here, I have stated on numerous occasions,  I am here for the sun, sea, sand, seafood and snatch.  I am not here to adopt a Thai family from Issan and pay for a sick buffalo that does not exist.  

Thailand works for me, not me work for Thailand. 

A prime example of my point is "The Down Town Inn - Chiang Mai."    Google it, and see how several deaths in that hotel were nothing more than a 'coincidence." 

Edited by NamKangMan

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't take his views so seriously. Most people, when they see hoof-prints in the sand, they think horses.

NKM thinks Zebras.......

And some can't even see any "hoof-prints in the sand" at all.   :biggrin:

Edited by NamKangMan

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

"why don't you start a new thread about unexplained deaths?" what "unexplained deaths?"  :whistling:

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"In some cases here, the articles we read are incomplete and/or are poorly written/translated. One has to tread carefully with such stories." - yet, you believe this reported story, completely.  How do you distinguish between the stories you accept, and the ones you reject????

In this case, I have suggested a possible alternate scenario, where you have accepted the report as the truth.  Tomorrow, there may be an article that I accept, but you will suggest an alternate scenario..  In your own words, "tread carefully with such stories."  As you can see, I obviously do.  Do you????

"In this case, I read a simple story about a man who had imbibed toxins that had affected his judgement. The man then died at his own hand." - and you know this as fact because you "read a simple story."  Right????

They are still looking for Sadam's "Weapons of Mass Destruction."  If you want to sell a lie - put it in the media.   

One must keep an open mind when "treading carefully with such stories."  Right? 

As for my post being offensive to Thailand and Thai people, I couldn't care less.

As for my motive for living here, I have stated on numerous occasions,  I am here for the sun, sea, sand, seafood and snatch.  I am not here to adopt a Thai family from Issan and pay for a sick buffalo that does not exist.  

Thailand works for me, not me work for Thailand. 

A prime example of my point is "The Down Town Inn - Chiang Mai."    Google it, and see how several deaths in that hotel were nothing more than a 'coincidence." 

Maybe there are significant differences between us: I do care about my hosts and I don't spend my time leaping to ridiculous conclusions.

Since you are hear purely for selfish and hedonistic reasons, we can expect no more of you.

Good luck with your ramblings lad.

15 minutes ago, todlad said:

Maybe there are significant differences between us: I do care about my hosts and I don't spend my time leaping to ridiculous conclusions.

Since you are hear purely for selfish and hedonistic reasons, we can expect no more of you.

Good luck with your ramblings lad.

I'll take your reply as a no response.

Well done. 

As for "ridiculous conclusions" did you check out the reports for The Down Town Inn in Chiang Mai?  Several people died as a result of a "ridiculous conclusion." 

Edited by NamKangMan

13 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I'll take your reply as a no response.

Well done. 

As for "ridiculous conclusions" did you check out the reports for The Down Town Inn in Chiang Mai?  Several people died as a result of a "ridiculous conclusion." 

I apologise: I have just noticed I typed hear instead of here and did not spot it. How could I?

22 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No it does not. Thailand attracts males who are predisposed to early death. Consider the demographics of  many of these alleged suspicious deaths;

- A history of smoking, alcohol and recreational drug use.

- Pre-existing  medical conditions such as heart disease, renal failure, pulmonary disease etc.

- Pre-existing mental illness

- Predisposition to dangerous behaviours such as criminality (e.g. drunk driving, fighting)

Thailand is a  location that attracts people who  occupy the population segment that is already at a high risk of an early death. If these people remained in their home countries, they would be  reflected in the suicide and death by misadventure stats there. 

In plain language don't blame Thailand because some guy with blocked arteries has a heart attack at the beach, or an alcoholic finally succumbs to cirrhosis, or a violent  foreigner who lived on the edge of society pushed it too far, or a mentally ill man jumps off a balcony etc. There are indeed some cases where foreigners are murdered, however, the vast majority, the overwhelming number of foreign deaths are due to the behaviour and the lifestyle of the foreigner.  How many times must it be said that foreigners should not rent jet skis, bungee jump, parasail at the beach or rent motorbikes if they have no driving experience on a motorbike or in the developing world? And yet they do. These people must take responsibility for their own stupidity. It is easier to stay alive in Thailand if one uses common sense and acts responsibly. Behave like a clueless adolescent and you get splattered.

Why do I all of a sudden feel that I am being watched?

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, some people think the earth is flat. Also a point of view.

Why not?

If it is not flat why is there a flat earth society ( and if you don't believe me, google t)  had a second officer (Navigation Officer) sail with me on one vessel many years ago who was genuinely a fully paid up member of the flat earth society.

H made me literally crap my whites when he suddenly appeared at around 0500 hrs on the bridge shouting for us to turn around before we fell off the edge of the world.....

On 4/23/2017 at 3:01 AM, geriatrickid said:

No.

This explains in large part why we are where we are and you are where you are in life.

It's called common sense and intelligent thinking.

A male of 37 years of age is not a young man. He is a grown adult.

Your excuse, might pass for a young man aged 15-22, but not for a grown adult age 37.

Ager is a relative term.   37 may be young to a 75 yo.   15-22 may be young to a 40 yo.

• 1 month later...